Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

'Mathematics for Computer Science'

Hi there! I never saw the A level maths requirement for Bath (I only have an A in GCSE maths and nothing further) but applied and recently got an offer for the Computer Science conversion. No harm can come from applying. I believe I'll have to brush up on my maths before the degree though. I'm doing this through online courses (free) by MIT and so on.Good luck!

(Original post by Juxtapose)
    Hi thanks for getting back to me - that sounds quite promising! What was your first degree in? Also, which MIT course are you doing online? I may look into it! Thanks!

I am still keen on the Oxford course. Whilst I enjoy distance-learning, I still think that a combined class-based and home learning set up can be more beneficial for deeper long-term learning (at least, for me!). Being able to have spontaneous class discussions with other students, working through problems with other learners and being able to get a one-to-one explanation from a tutor on something difficult can be useful. Then again, distance-learning has vastly improved over the years!!
    My first degree was in Film and Literature and the MIT course is Mathematics for Computer Science in the MIT OpenCourseWare.

If I lived closer I'd definitely do the Oxford course, class learning was always more effective for me.

Good luck!
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.