The Student Room Group

Applying for Graduate Entry Medicine in Southern Ireland

Scroll to see replies

Original post by wl1
Do you know if the stamped addressed envelope is mandatory? I can't figure out how to get an Irish stamp in the UK for CAO to use to post it back to me.
No, when I went to a post office, they said they no longer offer that service. So, I wrote that it is no longer available on a sheet of paper and sent it along with my documents to CAO and it was fine. They sent me a response card in the mail soon after.
Original post by wl1
Do you know if the stamped addressed envelope is mandatory? I can't figure out how to get an Irish stamp in the UK for CAO to use to post it back to me.

I thought it was mandatory, so I ordered 2 international stamps from anpost.ie (Irish version of Royal Mail) and had them sent to my house and then put them on the envelope. After I had done that, I read on the CAO website that international applicants do not need to include a stamp. This information is on page 16 of the CAO handbook, under 'Contacting CAO'. I missed it the first time, because I wasn't looking there.

"When posting items to CAO it is advisable to obtain a certificate of posting from the post office. If you wish toreceive confirmation from CAO that your documents have been received, please include a self-addressed andstamped postcard (you will not require a stamp for the postcard if you are living outside of the Republic ofIreland). CAO will then return this postcard to you if your documents have been received."
Reply 22
How long did it take to get the postcard back? I posted mine probably about a fortnight ago and I haven't received anything back yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wl1
How long did it take to get the postcard back? I posted mine probably about a fortnight ago and I haven't received anything back yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got mine back in about 10 days, but I posted mine right after registration closed, so they were probably pretty quiet at that point. From the UK, it will take 3 full days for the letter to get there. So if you post it Monday, it will arrive on Thursday at the earliest. The same on the way back. So postage will take 6-7 days, and they will need time to process your application with all the other applications. I wouldn't worry for another week yet, then maybe just give them a call if you are worried.
Hi guys, I've applied to the cao for Gem this year too. Glad to hear of some others! Wasn't too keen to hand over my original degree transcript. I have had to apply for another one for an upcoming uk interview. Fingers crossed for you all.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 25
Who did everyone rank as their first preference then? I went for UCC.

Also, did anyone else make the mistake of applying as a mature entrant?

Posted from TSR Mobile
RCSI is my first but i would like to see UCC at some stage, I've never been to Cork. How did you find out you'd made the mistake and applied as a mature entrant?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 27
I didn't read the guidance and just ticked the box as I am over 23, or whatever the age for mature entrants was. Realised as soon as I paid that I made a mistake as there was an extra form to fill in, but by then it was too late to go back. Hopefully as I've only applied to graduate entry courses they will ignore it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think I did the same thing as I wasn't sure so I ticked it anyway. 😬

Posted from TSR Mobile
Uhh, I have applied for the scholarship, but the decision on those who get it are not made until after the course has started. So, it's not really of any use as one would have to have committed to the course already (paid fees for accommodation etc) :frown:
(edited 8 years ago)
I've read a few things from people who've said the same thing. Most finance doesn't seem to be approved until after the course starts. Means we have to commit to the four years without knowing if it'll be financially feasible. One poster a few years back had to give up her place at Limerick as she didn't get the finance. 😬

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lisagee10
I've read a few things from people who've said the same thing. Most finance doesn't seem to be approved until after the course starts. Means we have to commit to the four years without knowing if it'll be financially feasible. One poster a few years back had to give up her place at Limerick as she didn't get the finance. 😬

Posted from TSR Mobile

Higher education in Ireland is generally organised on the assumption that you will live at home and that your parents will cover any necessary fee contributions. There's very little consideration of finance requirements or awareness of how access to finance might affect an application.
Do English students studying GEM in Ireland still get a maintainence loan from student finance England?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I ask, as student finance NI told me I am eligible for one but I'm worried they may have given me the wrong information.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do English students studying GEM in Ireland still get a maintainence loan from student finance England?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Absolutely not, Republic of Ireland is not part of the UK.
You're correct, ROI is not part of the U.K. I was however told this by student finance NI and was wondering how this differed from student finance England. Either there are different rules for northern Irish students, (who are uk citizens,) or the lady in the office has given me incorrect information.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You're correct, ROI is not part of the U.K. I was however told this by student finance NI and was wondering how this differed from student finance England. Either there are different rules for northern Irish students, (who are uk citizens,) or the lady in the office has given me incorrect information.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The situation for NI students down south (or in Scotland) is very complicated. You're better off asking for advice from the experts at NI student finance (or on the Student Finance section of TSR).
Original post by prospectivemed56
The situation for NI students down south (or in Scotland) is very complicated. You're better off asking for advice from the experts at NI student finance (or on the Student Finance section of TSR).

Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
I still haven't received a postcard but my documents seem to have been scanned and are on CAO, so hopefully that's enough. Do we just wait around now until the end of July?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by wl1
I still haven't received a postcard but my documents seem to have been scanned and are on CAO, so hopefully that's enough. Do we just wait around now until the end of July?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yeah I guess. As I have said before, my impression of CAO is that their service is messy and piss-poor.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending