The Student Room Group

Would you replace a homosexual gene in your child if given the choice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Farm_Ecology
X

If there was no technology to remove the gene, but there was to detect it, would you abort a child who carried the gay gene?
Original post by antonyzac
You want your child to be what is "normal", and "normal" is relational. You relate normal to that of society's values. It's ignorant to think your view has nothing to do with society.

I didnt say anything about me, or anyone else wanting their child to be normal.

Genetic modification is an intervention that shouldn't be taken lightly. It's altering harmless natural variation based on backward human logic of the harmless variation being wrong.

Do you see the same issue with choosing a child's hair colour (hypthoetically)

Besides, as I argued to someone else, you won't be able to wipe out homosexuality as if it were a virus because it's an intrinsic mutation, most likely random.

I highly doubt it. To pigeon down sexuality into a simple homo/heterosexual duality seems a little strange. People express sexuality in numerous different ways, and it seems most likely that (like most parts of a persons personality), it is developed based on numerous contributing factors which result in the kinds of things a person is attracted to, and how they want to show that attraction.
Original post by LeoAngliae
If you lack the intellectual capacity and moral fortitude to understand why it would be undesirable to use eugenics to wipe out a historically-persecuted group, then it's probably not worth my time to try to explain it to you. Perhaps a bit like trying to explain mathematics to a dog; try as you might, it simply lacks the capacity for the subject matter.

It's a genuine question, there is no reason to get personal or insulting. Is it really morally wrong to have a trait removed from society if it harms nobody in the process? Consider if someone were to wipe out the existence of green eyes, would that be an issue?

What about if homosexuality (or heterosexuality for that matter) disappeared without intervention, would that be a problem? If so, why? If no, what's different?
If there was no technology to remove the gene, but there was to detect it, would you abort a child who carried the gay gene?

No, of course not. I would also say it would be morally wrong to do so.
Original post by tazarooni89
I don't really understand this point.

It's not my priority to change society for the better, it's my priority to ensure that my child is as best off as possible, based on how society is now and however it may turn out in 50 years time. I think being heterosexual gives him or her a better chance of that.

I think we've just got a fundamental difference in world view. I guess I'm more collectivist and you're more of an individualist. They're opposites and no amount of arguing will change that! :smile: My logic is that by tackling the underlying social stigma which leads to you wanting to change the gene to give your child a better chance, there would be no need to change the gene. Tackling the cause of the cause if you like. I pose a question to you: do you identify as homophobic, or at least see homosexuality as wrong? If you don't, then it follows that you would prefer that discrimination towards homosexuals was eradicated, rather than homosexuality itself. By tackling the cause of your actions (i.e. tackling the societal problem), it would uphold that moral stance rather than forcing you to accept a moral value you don't believe in. Of course, I'm assuming you have no problem with homosexuality.

But we're assuming everyone removes it, aren't we? That is, even when the next gay child is conceived, his parents also replace his gene and make him straight. In that case, homosexuality would not exist.

So it makes no sense to try and reduce bullying by saying "nobody should replace the gene" when you could also reduce bullying if everyone replaced it.

I see your point here, but I think my above point in this post answers it. Changing genes should always be a last resort; whether it be a harmful genetic disease, or homosexuality. It makes much more sense to change human logic than natural biology.

It's a genuine question, there is no reason to get personal or insulting.

I'm not trying to be provocative. If you genuinely cannot intuit, even from the opposite side of the debate by putting yourself in someone else's shoes, why it would be wrong, then I really don't think you'd understand no matter how methodically I explained it to you.

Is it really morally wrong to have a trait removed from society if it harms nobody in the process?

How can you say it harms nobody? The implications for such a fundamental re-engineering of human sexuality are beyond our capacity to predict. I would say it is absolutely reckless and bizarre to propose a species-wide genetic modification to wipe out a sexual minority on the flimsiest of pretexts

It's also pretty offensive to say to gay people that ,essentially, we'd be better off if they didn't exist.
I didnt say anything about me, or anyone else wanting their child to be normal.

Do you see the same issue with choosing a child's hair colour (hypthoetically)

I highly doubt it. To pigeon down sexuality into a simple homo/heterosexual duality seems a little strange. People express sexuality in numerous different ways, and it seems most likely that (like most parts of a persons personality), it is developed based on numerous contributing factors which result in the kinds of things a person is attracted to, and how they want to show that attraction.

I definitely don't think we should be changing a child's hair colour using genetic modification...My argument still stands.

With the duality point, I think the assumption we've made when entering this discussion in the first place is that a single removal of a gene will prevent homosexuality. In reality, as you say, it's probably a lot of different factors contributing to the spectrum of sexuality. Most likely there is some genetic component, but also a large environmental one too. I've had to remove that likelihood from the discussion simply because none of these arguments you or me or anyone else makes would hold if we didn't.
It kind of is forcing your child - you've changed natural biology to benefit your views of society without asking your child first. Variations in sexuality is normal and not harmful in itself. Why do it?

You're seriously comparing homosexuality to paedophilia? The former has no effect on how you live your life and doesn't harm those around you. The latter is a potential danger to the well-being of others. Even so, I still don't think it's a reason to alter their genes.

Well some gay men force themselves on other men.
Original post by Gavin2016

Some straight men force themselves on other women. What's your point?
I'd be equally happy with a child of any sexuality. Scary how many people have voted yes.
Leaving aside the technical issues, given the entire thread is highly speculative, if it was found there was a gene associated with Islam/religiosity, would you be okay with people removing it from their children?

Ideally, I would not want my child to get involved with the delusion of religion. There are particular risks associated with the Islamic lifestyle (for example, the converts who have joined ISIS) that I would not want my child subjected to. Do you believe that it would be someone's right to do that in precisely the way you seek to remove homosexuality from their genetic makeup?

I don't really know whether it should be someone's right to do that, or even if it should be someone's right to alter their child's genes to make them straight instead of gay. It's much more difficult to be the person who actually decides whether humanity as a whole is given the right to interfere with genes or not, because that is a far more complex issue, with each option probably having lots of pros, cons and implications on a grand scale that I haven't even thought of.

I think the question the OP is asking is more along the lines of "If you as a single ordinary individual had this right, would you exercise it or not (regardless of what everyone else is doing)?"

Personally, I wouldn't choose to remove an Islam-gene from my child, firstly because despite the risks and disadvantages involved with being Muslim, I believe there are also advantages; and also because even if it did protect my child from Islamophobia, it could equally expose them to the risk of being discriminated against for not being Muslim. However, I wouldn't choose to put an Islam-gene into my child if I had the choice to do that either. When it comes to religion, I think the best thing is for a child to simply be made aware of all the facts, and then free to choose to believe whatever makes the most sense to them".
Original post by Craig1998
I'd be equally happy with a child of any sexuality. Scary how many people have voted yes.

Much more scary how many people have voted no.

If you ask an older generation is would be 90% yes, showing that the uprise of social media is changing everyone's morals for the worse.
I'm not trying to be provocative. If you genuinely cannot intuit, even from the opposite side of the debate by putting yourself in someone else's shoes, why it would be wrong, then I really don't think you'd understand no matter how methodically I explained it to you.

Then help me understand, because to me removing a trait that neither hinders nor helps society, is morally neutral. Although there is a point about the very existence of homosexuality helps us understand human sexuality.
How can you say it harms nobody?

I suppose as a point, the loss of the trait would be upsetting to those that already have it.
It's also pretty offensive to say to gay people that ,essentially, we'd be better off if they didn't exist.

I never said we would be better off. I think it would be irrelevant.

I definitely don't think we should be changing a child's hair colour using genetic modification...My argument still stands.

Why though?

I've had to remove that likelihood from the discussion simply because none of these arguments you or me or anyone else makes would hold if we didn't.

Fair enough
So do some straight men. What's your point?
gay ppl face a lot of discrimination in society even today so yes i would
So if the doctors told you that your son due to be born would be homosexual as he had a dominant gene for homosexuality. Would you replace that gene with another of yours (a straight version) if given the choice by doctors to stop your child becoming homosexual later in life? Hypothetical situation of course.

Yes. My kids are already going to be black, they don't need to be gay too.
I don't really know whether it should be someone's right to do that, or even if it should be someone's right to alter their child's genes to make them straight instead of gay. It's much more difficult to be the person who actually decides whether humanity as a whole is given the right to interfere with genes or not, because that is a far more complex issue, with each option probably having lots of pros, cons and implications on a grand scale that I haven't even thought of.

I think the question the OP is asking is more along the lines of "If you as a single ordinary individual had this right, would you exercise it or not (regardless of what everyone else is doing)?"

Personally, I wouldn't choose to remove an Islam-gene from my child, firstly because despite the risks and disadvantages involved with being Muslim, I believe there are also advantages; and also because even if it did protect my child from Islamophobia, it could equally expose them to the risk of being discriminated against for not being Muslim. However, I wouldn't choose to put an Islam-gene into my child if I had the choice to do that either. When it comes to religion, I think the best thing is for a child to simply be made aware of all the facts, and then free to choose to believe whatever makes the most sense to them".

This is, of course, all highly personal and your reasons for doing so really take a back seat to the principle at stake. The point that's coming to the fore is that if one claims for themselves the right to modify their child's genes to exclude the possibility of homosexuality, they logically would also have to accept that others could do the same thing to remove any possibility of conversion to Islam.

There are some claimed disadvantages involved with being homosexual (I don't think it's very solid position given that a normal child growing up in a middle-class family in the UK is unlikely to experience any such disadvantages, and are even less likely to 15 years from now). But there are also possible advantages you would be removing from your child; the acclaimed artist David Hockney's works are very much linked to and inspired by his sexuality. You would also be removing from your child a trait that, if they had, they might well prefer.

I'm gay and if I could press a button that would make me straight, I absolutely wouldn't. I prefer the way I am, it's a part of me. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's saved me a lot of grief in that when I was 17/18 I sowed my wild oats a fair bit and if I was straight it's not implausible I would have gotten a girl pregnant and become a father at far too young an age. That would have put a huge spanner in the works.

My view is that it's all inextricable, the good and the bad, on both sides. I'm glad that we're unlikely to ever find such a gene
(edited 8 years ago)
I wouldn't change it personally, but if my partner wanted too we could discuss it.
I really don't care if my child is homosexual. Their choice in who they are interested in is none of my, or anyone else's business. It's not people's business to judge or impose their views on someone else because they aren't hurting anyone.

And before people bring religion into it, a lot of you work on a Sunday or eat pork, and you aren't God. You are not given the opportunity to ****ing judge people.

How ****ing pathetic are you to use religion to spew hate over something you have a distaste for.
What bother?
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Much more scary how many people have voted no.

If you ask an older generation is would be 90% yes, showing that the uprise of social media is changing everyone's morals for the worse.

I would say it's more of a change in society than a change in morals. There's more of an emphasis on science in this day and age, compared to religion in older generations (which said homosexuality was a sin). My parents gave me the choice to believe whatever I wanted to believe in, be whatever sexuality I wanted to be and be happy just aslong as I was a good person and didn't discriminate.

The scary thing is, almost half of people would be willing to change their child's sexuality despite them having no idea who their child even is. They want to change something that does not affect society because of their views. And thats selfish. We should be embracing what nature gave us and not trying to change it to fit selfish views.
Reply 198
I don't like the idea of "playing god" with genes, so it's not something I'd do.
That being said, I would hope any child of mine wasn't homosexual. Not that it would make a difference to *me* personally if they were - I wouldn't treat them any differently, but unquestionably their life would be easier for being straight.
So if the doctors told you that your son due to be born would be homosexual as he had a dominant gene for homosexuality. Would you replace that gene with another of yours (a straight version) if given the choice by doctors to stop your child becoming homosexual later in life? Hypothetical situation of course.

Wow look at that poll. Slightly over half would replace the gene.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending