Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you replace a homosexual gene in your child if given the choice? Watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Would you replace a homosexual gene in your child if given the choice?
    Yes
    49.11%
    No
    50.89%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cherryred90s)
    Wrong again? I was never wrong. I copied and pasted your own words which were contradictory.

Homosexuality can harm the individual too, they may not want to accept their sexuality and can become very depressed because of it.

It's okay for you to disagree and speak badly about the teachings of religion but it's not okay for someone to disagree with homosexuality?
    I wonder why someone would become depressed about their sexuality(!) it's not like there are places in the world can be stoned for it because of extreme ignorance and hate! Oh wait there are, yet another consequence of societies bigoted views. While i respect others' rights to believe whatever they want, I am definitely going to criticise a religious text that not only condemns homosexuality but supports slavery and says that those who also follow the teachings should not wear mixed fabrics (which I'm sure every Christian actually does(!))

ReputationRep:
    Yes in theory. I wouldnt care if my kid turns out gay naturally as being gay is not a problem to me, but I probably would change the gene just to avoid them having a tormented life because of their sexuality.

This is on the premise that it wouldnt damage/impair/disable the child or mother and wouldnt make either more susceptible to a high risk pregnancy/birth

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TunaTunnel)
    They cant produce children.
    Gay men can ejaculate and lesbians can produce eggs. Their body is functional, but they don't "produce" children the natural way.
    Hopefully in a few years, surrogacy will become legal in the West and it will be easier for gay men to have children.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TunaTunnel)
    Apart from it prevents humanity?
    Because we're running low on population right now, aren't we?

ReputationRep:
    In today's Society you tend to hear a lot about how a gay child faces a lot of abuse and bullying wherever out and about and especially in school and colleges. I'm in no way against homosexuality, but if this is all preventable by changing a gene, why wouldn't you go ahead with it. It could possibly lead to a normal life and a childhood full of fun memories rather than being bullied for being homosexual and being treated as an "outcast" which is still occurs in today's society.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simbasdragon)
    Women can use sperm donors and men can use surrogates. Try again.
    Surrogacy is still illegal in many countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Surrogacy is still illegal in many countries.

Yet we live in the UK, where it isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simbasdragon)
    Yet we live in the UK, where it isn't.
    Only 'altruistic' surrogacy. I therefore don't think the supply equals the demand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeoAngliae)
    You seem quite worked up, and very angry about this. Are you sure there isn't.. something.. that's bothering you?
    Why am i even taking you seriously when the basis of your argument is a self anecdote lol. Because you being lucky enough to be surrounded by accepting people means every gay in the world is surrounded by love and acceptance too right?

If that were the case then there wouldn't even be any LGBT marches. I don't have to debate with you about the quality of life argument. A simple google search would show you I'm right about that so theres no reason for me to continue waste time going on about it with you. (if you're not too stubborn to look it up that is.)

I'm simply saying the poll is phrased awfully and people are voting based off what they feel about tampering with DNA or "gods way". I know for a fact that if the question was about replacing a straight gene you wouldn't even bother replying. Cause you know deep down that choosing a future child to be gay instead of straight is disadvantaging him. And that's thinking selfishly.

Another argument would be designer babies. What's to stop people going on to choose looks, hair colour and eye colour? And those are good points. But they're also irrelevant because they're not what was asked. It's a straight yes or no question on a single issue.

Unfortunately, the LGBT community is still looked down upon. Especially transsexuals. For that reason, I would choose for my child to be straight without a shadow of a doubt.

And next time you reply to anyone at least bother to read what they say before spouting rubbish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BKh_n)
    In today's Society you tend to hear a lot about how a gay child faces a lot of abuse and bullying wherever out and about and especially in school and colleges. I'm in no way against homosexuality, but if this is all preventable by changing a gene, why wouldn't you go ahead with it. It could possibly lead to a normal life and a childhood full of fun memories rather than being bullied for being homosexual and being treated as an "outcast" which is still occurs in today's society.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But how far would you go? A child small in height might be treated as an outcast, an ugly child might be treated as an outcast, a mixed race child might be treated as an outcast, a shy child might be treated as an outcast, a red-headed child might be treated as an outcast, etc. We end up with designer babies if we go down that route.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josb)
    Only 'altruistic' surrogacy. I therefore don't think the supply equals the demand.
    Financial surrogacy is also legal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donte)
    Yes in theory. I wouldnt care if my kid turns out gay naturally as being gay is not a problem to me, but I probably would change the gene just to avoid them having a tormented life because of their sexuality.

This is on the premise that it wouldnt damage/impair/disable the child or mother and wouldnt make either more susceptible to a high risk pregnancy/birth
    I'm gay and as far as I'm aware I'm not leading a tormented life lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blondie987)
    I'm gay and as far as I'm aware I'm not leading a tormented life lol
    Sorry didnt mean it like that, just in the sense that not everyone is accepting and i wouldnt want them to be bullied over something they cannot control.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawliettt)
    I'm simply saying the poll is phrased awfully and people are voting based off what they feel about tampering with DNA or "gods way". I know for a fact that if the question was about replacing a straight gene you wouldn't even bother replying. Cause you know deep down that choosing a future child to be gay instead of straight is disadvantaging him. And that's thinking selfishly.
    That's a disingenuous categorisation. I am sure many, like me, voted "no" as we would rather not interfere and leave it to natural fate, because we do not care whether our child turns out to be gay or not.

Sure, my child would receive a bit more hardship if he or she turned out gay, but they would if they were a redhead or had unusual beliefs. I wouldn't interfere and "engineer" hair colour or beliefs, so why sexuality?

Another argument would be designer babies. What's to stop people going on to choose looks, hair colour and eye colour? And those are good points. But they're also irrelevant because they're not what was asked. It's a straight yes or no question on a single issue.
    They're not irrelevant at all. It's the logic of those arguing that they would remove a gay gene to protect their child from hardship, trouble, etc. The logical result of that is designer babies.

Unfortunately, the LGBT community is still looked down upon. Especially transsexuals. For that reason, I would choose for my child to be straight without a shadow of a doubt.
    I would rather my child were not a redhead because they would receive a lot more trouble growing up than gay children - at least gay children cannot be physically identified by their sexuality. I still wouldn't employ a scientist to alter my child's genetic makeup to remove a gene for red hair.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donte)
    Sorry didnt mean it like that, just in the sense that not everyone is accepting and i wouldnt want them to be bullied over something they cannot control.
    Haha, don't worry about it I wasn't annoyed it's just a pretty extreme idea but I get where you're coming from

ReputationRep:
    I wonder why someone would become depressed about their sexuality(!) it's not like there are places in the world can be stoned for it because of extreme ignorance and hate! Oh wait there are, yet another consequence of societies bigoted views. While i respect others' rights to believe whatever they want, I am definitely going to criticise a religious text that not only condemns homosexuality but supports slavery and says that those who also follow the teachings should not wear mixed fabrics (which I'm sure every Christian actually does(!))
    I wonder why people become depressed because of their disability. It's not like there are places in the world where people confined to a wheelchair are literally pushed off a building because of extreme ignorance and hate.
    You are clearly not respectful of religious teachings simply because YOU don't agree with them, but you are quick to lash out at people because they disagree with your own views.
    I'm pretty sure we can both agree that the people you were referring to in your comment are against slavery. There are different types of religions, for some reason you are only referring to Christianity.
    In addition, there are different types of Christians. You are referring to one type.

ReputationRep:
    I wonder why people become depressed because of their disability. There are some places in the world where people confined to a wheelchair are literally pushed off a building because of ignorance and hate.
    You are clearly not respectful of religious teachings simply because YOU don't agree with them, but you are quick to lash out at people because they disagree with your own views.
    I'm pretty sure we can both agree that the people you were referring to in your comment are against slavery. There are different types of religions, for some reason you are only referring to Christianity.
    In addition, there are different types of Christians. You are referring to one type.
    You're still pushing this idea that the only thing disabled people have to deal with is bigotry which, as I have previously explained, is not true. People don't agree with homosexuality because it doesn't make them happy, that's it! That's the only reason, not because it harms people! And if you believe that no one is going to challenge your beliefs then you're in for a huge shock, you can't just spout your beliefs and not expect backlash, I am just as entitled to express myself as you are and at no point have I said anything about this religion that isn't true, if you follow its teachings that is something you have to accept!

ReputationRep:
    You're still pushing this idea that the only thing disabled people have to deal with is bigotry which, as I have previously explained, is not true. People don't agree with homosexuality because it doesn't make them happy, that's it! That's the only reason, not because it harms people! And if you believe that no one is going to challenge your beliefs then you're in for a huge shock, you can't just spout your beliefs and not expect backlash, I am just as entitled to express myself as you are and at no point have I said anything about this religion that isn't true, if you follow its teachings that is something you have to accept!
    People don't agree with disability because it doesn't make them happy either. You would choose to rid your child of a disability to make your job as a parent easier, to prevent your child from struggling or being judged or victim to abuse. This child that you are altering could grow up to be an incredibly happy individual but are not allowing that because it isn't in your interest. How does this differ to the views of someone against homosexuality?

If you believe that no one is going to challenge YOUR beliefs then you're also in for a shock.

No it's not. Like I said, there are different types of Christians and different branches of Christianity so being religious doesn't automatically mean you accept it all.
    Do you accept incest?

ReputationRep:
    if i have a straight child, can i change it to become homosexual then? I would love to.

ReputationRep:
    People don't agree with disability because it doesn't make them happy either. You would choose to rid your child of a disability to make your job as a parent easier, to prevent your child from struggling or being judged or victim to abuse. This child that you are altering could grow up to be an incredibly happy individual but are not allowing that because it isn't in your interest. How does this differ to the views of someone against homosexuality?

If you believe that no one is going to challenge YOUR beliefs then you're also in for a shock.

No it's not. Like I said, there are different types of Christians and different branches of Christianity so being religious doesn't automatically mean you accept it all.
    Do you accept incest?
    You can pick and chose what you believe in but you can't back it up with evidence from a book that you only half follow. And for your information, no I would not get rid of my child if they had a disability! Because of the difficulties that they would face (outside of prejudice-third time saying this now!) I would want to give them an easier life by getting rid of their disability but if I were only doing so because of the ignorant views of other I would be part of the problem! Every child will face some kind of judgement but that doesn't mean I'm going to design them to make them fit into a world that believes hate is natural yet love between two consenting, unrelated adults is not! Btw I am gay and you seem to think you know more about my happiness than me, I have two loving parents whom I know would never dream of trying to change me because they love me for who I am and that's a huge part of person's happiness for which I can vouch! If I knew they tried to change me to make me fit into a cookie cutter image of how someone 'should' be I don't know if I'd ever want to see them again.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.