The Student Room Group

Would you replace a homosexual gene in your child if given the choice?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by aghaagha
Gay people can have children.

I know, but not the traditional way.
Gay people can have children.

Wouldn't be your biological grand children tho, especially if the gay child is a man, and not a woman
Reply 22
Original post by fire_and_ice

Why does it matter how they have children, surely all that matters is that they have children?

Would you prefer they conceived your grandchild(ren) in the missionary position also, or are you ambivalent about this technicality?
Reply 23

Suppose if they have a good looking surrogate mother it's half as decent
Reply 24
Original post by The_Internet
Wouldn't be your biological grand children tho, especially if the gay child is a man, and not a woman

Not true... Can use their sperm and a donor's egg (and a surrogate mother).
Why does it matter how they have children, surely all that matters is that they have children?

Would you prefer they conceived your grandchild(ren) in the missionary position also, or are you ambivalent about this technicality?

I suppose you're right. Nonetheless, I would still prefer for my child to be heterosexual.
A lot of people on here are talking about wanting to be grandparents when they are talking about altering something about their child to make them fit in with societies bigoted ideals! Smh
Not true... Can use their sperm and a donor's egg (and a surrogate mother).

She does not have to hand the baby over legally
Reply 28
I suppose you're right. Nonetheless, I would still prefer for my child to be heterosexual.

And your bigotry is exposed. That was easy. :smile:

How do you rationalise your preference now? Can you?
Original post by Blondie987
A lot of people on here are talking about wanting to be grandparents when they are talking about altering something about their child to make them fit in with societies bigoted ideals! Smh

Personally I couldn't care less. I'm just playing devils advocate here. I don't think it makes people bigots just because they want grand kids
Reply 30
She does not have to hand the baby over legally

And your point is...

The embarrassing attempts at rationalising prejudice/bigotry on this thread are most amusing.
And your bigotry is exposed. That was easy. :smile:

How do you rationalise your preference now? Can you?

What has my preference got to do with bigotry? :s-smilie:
Reply 32
What has my preference got to do with bigotry? :s-smilie:

You said you would prefer your child to be heterosexual (even after conceding that a homosexual child could have grandchildren and this wasn't a legitimate reason to justify such a preference). Why?
And your point is...

The embarrassing attempts at rationalising prejudice/bigotry on this thread are most amusing.

As in you can have the chance of not actually seeing your grand kids if the woman wants to keep it

Again, I personally couldn't care less. I'm playing devils advocate here. It does not make someone a bigot just because they would like to have grand kids (Almost guaranteed with straight couples)
Personally I couldn't care less. I'm just playing devils advocate here. I don't think it makes people bigots just because they want grand kids

Well fair enough but people are talking about the traditional way to make children as if there aren't thousands out there who need loving homes and that they wouldn't want their child to grow up different as they are likely to be put at disadvantage by those who disagree with their sexuality, even though putting those ideas aside would help in eradicating this idea that homosexuality is something that should be stamped out when it hurts literally no one. Just my opinion, not judging others for their own ideas but stuff like this gets me worked up lol
Reply 35
As in you can have the chance of not actually seeing your grand kids if the woman wants to keep it

If you do it through an agency or with a close friend the chances of this happening are extremely slim.

Again, I personally couldn't care less. I'm playing devils advocate here. It does not make someone a bigot just because they would like to have grand kids (Almost guaranteed with straight couples)

You clearly do have an agenda/opinion, despite your protestations to the contrary.

I agree, but how is that relevant? Grandchildren are a possibility regardless of the sexual orientation of your children.
Reply 36
I wouldn't. The sexuality of my child, whilst important, is not something that I should be able to control. I'm not sure anyone could get a straight gene from me though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well yeah obviously.

Despite there not being a homo gene, as it's a learned attribute, I'd much rather my kid just be normal. No need to complicate things, and it would ruin 90% of my dad jokes :lol: Yeah definitely would change it, but we can't do that so there's not much point in this thread.
You can use surrogates, adoption, artificial insemination etc. (depending on gender) but these can cost a lot of money, you can be taken for a ride and be left feeling emotionally drained and heartbroken. Obviously there are heterosexual couples who for whatever reason have to do this as well. But given the choice I'd want my kids to be able to reproduce without all of the emotional burden and costs that these alternative methods can involve. So I don't mind if they're homosexual, I just want them not to have to go through the pain of trying to have a child and not succeeding, the same way I would want my heterosexual kids to avoid this too. And being heterosexual just means statistically they're more likely to be able to have a baby naturally, so I'd want to maximise their chances. If technology and law improved so there's more protection and higher success rates for people who choose these methods then I'd be neutral.
Reply 39
Original post by ComputerMaths97

Despite there not being a home gene, as it's a learned attribute, I'd much rather my kid just be normal.

Gay people aren't "normal"?

The fascists are out in their droves today.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending