The Student Room Group

Would you replace a homosexual gene in your child if given the choice?

Scroll to see replies

No

Add some genes to make my kids hot though :u:
Not enough evidence for the homosexual gene. Besides homosexuality and all sexualities are a social construction.
Original post by Boohoomoo
Yep

I know a lesbian Muslim who's parents flipped out and chucked her out of the house because of some rumours they heard. She was only let back in because she lied and said they weren't true (she was 15 when this happened)

That must have been so rough on her! 15 as well... how is she suppose to provide for herself.
Original post by BlackSweetness
GOD YESSS!
Would do it in a heartbeat'!
I want my son to grow up as a proper man. (Not saying homosexuals arent real men btw)

But...that is exactly what you're saying.
Original post by aghaagha
Gay people aren't "normal"?

The fascists are out in their droves today.

Lmao someone is mad purely because they don't understand the word "normal" :lol:

You seriously never heard of the word, normal? You know, like, erm, common, like homosexuality is less common than heterosexuality? Therefore it is not the normal occurence? Is that too much for you?

Typical example of a bigot you are:
1) Reads post and realises someone has a different view to them.
2) Quickly looks for some tiny aspect of their post they can attack to attempt to steal the moral high ground
3) Attacks it, throwing in an insult.
4) Ignores rest of post, continues on with their bigotry.

Original post by mercuryman
Its really not that deep for you to be arguing on a TSR thread. Everyone has their own opinion. Relax?

You can't tell them to relax, that angers them more as you're obviously oppressing them :lol:
Original post by *Stefan*
And ComputerMaths97 strikes back!

Wait so there is a gay gene? Or you just doing this "I'm going to insult anyone that disagrees with me but I won't offer opposing views" stuff again?
Original post by TunaTunnel
So thats why were letting millions of migrants into the EU. Good thinking Catwoman.

What are you on about?
Original post by ComputerMaths97
Wait so there is a gay gene? Or you just doing this "I'm going to insult anyone that disagrees with me but I won't offer opposing views" stuff again?

The victimhood here is strong...

A gay gene may not have been found, but that doesn't mean it does not exist. You factual absolution (i.e. "it's a learned attribute) and whatnot made it seem so. So, you should use that first question, in the inverse, to yourself.

It's funny though you should say that, considering it's exactly what you're doing with everyone (not just on homosexuality related topics, that is).

Lmao someone is mad purely because they don't understand the word "normal" You seriously never heard of the word, normal? You know, like, erm, common, like homosexuality is less common than heterosexuality? Therefore it is not the normal occurence? Is that too much for you?

Normal - Merriam Webster:
-usual or ordinary : not strange
-mentally and physically healthy

Homosexuality is neither "strange" nor "mentally/physically unhealthy". I think someone else needs to learn their stuff before making fun of others.
(edited 8 years ago)
Wait I thought the gay gene was a myth?
I remember reading an article on this actually a few weeks ago. Something about if a gay gene existed it would be certain or predictable that twins would share the same sexuality however this doesn't happen. You can't inherit a sexual orientation so it made sense. Apparently it's something to do with exposure to a certain hormones at birth, I can't remember the article's exact words but it was along these lines. Overall, sexuality is very complicated.
But the answer to your question is, if a gay gene existed probably no.
I wouldn't want to alter any thing concerning my child unless it was evidently harmful to the child and needed to be worked on to help my child.
Lmao someone is mad purely because they don't understand the word "normal" :lol:

You seriously never heard of the word, normal? You know, like, erm, common, like homosexuality is less common than heterosexuality? Therefore it is not the normal occurence? Is that too much for you?

In terms of deviations from psychological/biological/sociological norms, they are abnormal.
Of course.

I want straight, blonde-haired, green-eyed children.

Anything else will result in me tossing them in the river.
[QUOTE="random_matt;62259733"]

In terms of deviations from psychological/biological/sociological norms, they are abnormal.

In what way? Religion talks again it seems...

Posted from TSR Mobile
As a mum to a son and a daughter, I can absolutely say that I couldn't give a **** if any of them were gay.
(edited 8 years ago)
[QUOTE="*Stefan*;62259789"]
Original post by random_matt

In what way? Religion talks again it seems...

Posted from TSR Mobile

In our culture it is a deviation from what is statistically normal of human behaviour, this is fact, but i will emphasise culture. In other cultures like Papua new guinea, it would not be abnormal, for example, in this country male oral sex is the norm to express masculinity.
Clearly the person who started this thread does NOT have any children themselves.
How dare you even suggest such a question, hypothetical or not. Do yourself a favour, go to the library or something, improve your thought processes and general knowledge and come back with a question created with more than a half of a brain cell. Offended MUCH.
[QUOTE="random_matt;62259975"]
Original post by *Stefan*

In our culture it is a deviation from what is statistically normal of human behaviour, this is fact, but i will emphasise culture. In other cultures like Papua new guinea, it would not be abnormal, for example, in this country male oral sex is the norm to express masculinity.

This is entirely false. A deviation is deference from the accepted norm in a society. We do not live in Saudi Arabia, we live in Britain.

The fact that it is statistically less common does not make it abnormal. So, left-hand writers, people with blue eyes and whatnot are also abnormal?
Original post by aghaagha
I agree. In the same way that preferring a baby boy/girl doesn't automatically indicate sexism, preferring a heterosexual child doesn't automatically indicate homophobia.

For some reason I think the latter is more indicative of homophobia than the former is of sexism, though... Maybe that's just flawed reasoning on my part, but I'll continue to ponder upon that.

Personally I think it just sounds more homophobic to prefer a heterosexual child, because homophobia is a lot more topical these days than sexism. If you went somewhere like India and said in public that you'd prefer to have a baby boy than a baby girl, I expect you'd sound a lot more sexist than if you said it here.

In a sense, you're "supposed" to say that you have no preference as to whether you'd prefer a straight or gay child because both are just as good as each other (even if you do have a preference deep down), just to emphasise your belief in the equal status of both; because right now, society is particularly sensitive to any possible implication to the contrary.
Reply 117
Homosexuality isn't genetic. Pointless discussion.
They are children......can we not just focus on them being happy and healthy? Why does sex and sexuality have to even come in to the question? My god what is wrong with the world?
Original post by iFinity
Homosexuality isn't genetic. Pointless discussion.

How would you explain it occurs then?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending