The Student Room Group

The Unlikely Medic

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Failingstudent98
Really inspiration blog, I feel like my entire application process everyone's been doubting me and my ability to achieve AAA. Hopefully I can pull it together in the end like you did! Any advice for bio and Chem? How many past papers did you do a week? And did you have a job whilst doing all this or not- just curious :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

As long as you know you have the academic prowess to achieve those grades, it doesn't matter what others think.
For biology I'd try and learn the content as quick as possible (whilst still understanding it). Because for biology (well for most subjects but for biology specifically) you do most your learning by doing past papers. You can know the textbook and your notes inside out but still flop a biology paper. For biology (aqa specifically, I can't speak on behalf of other exam boards) its important to see where the marks are awarded. Your answers could be correct but if you're missing a key word you won't get the marks.
For chemistry, I guess it's more memorisation so the quicker you start to more time you have to practice. I had friends who left memorising things in chemistry (such as the dozen or so colours you had to learn in my CHEM5 module) till the end. And again, obviously do past papers.
Also use the examiners report for the science subjects, it's good to see the papers from the examiner's point of view and see the common pitfalls of students.
Well when I was into study leave I was doing about 6-8 papers a day. I don't remember exactly how many I was doing before then, but maybe my blog can give you a hint.
No I didn't have a job and tbh I don't think I would've been able to do as well if I had a job, I could've maybe handled one upto Jan/Feb time but definitely not after that. Do PM me if you want any specific help on your subjects throughout the year :smile:
So my first serious post-results day update:
As I mentioned earlier I applied to Cardiff, Leicester, Birmingham and Liverpool for medicine.
During my gap year I'm volunteering in my local care home 2-3 times a week and planning to volunteer abroad for well known charity which I'm looking forward to.

I've heard from 3/5 of my universities so far...
Cardiff: Got an interview for the 24th of January :biggrin: this was my first interview call and one of my top choices (alongside Leicester).
Leicester: Got an interview for the 6th of January :biggrin:
UCL: Got an unconditional offer for biomedicine, but I hopefully will be rejecting this come February/march.

I haven't heard from Liverpool, but nor has anyone else because they start interviewing on the 31st of January. Birmingham, well I don't really want to go there anyway haha but I won't be upset if they decide I'm interview worthy :biggrin:

To revise for my interviews I went on the medicportal courses. I found the actual interview course useful as I hadn't done any proper work towards my interview and this allowed me to cover the basics. The mock mmi circuit they ran was invaluable though. I surprisingly enjoyed the challenge of being put on the spot and has definitely reduced my anxiety come my interviews in January. I'm also reading "a very short introduction to medical ethics", the isc medical interview book, reading bbc news health and going through all the bmj journals (as my parents have subscriptions).

Again, if anyone has any questions just shoot me a pm x
Hi.friend good luck for your examination.You can score high mark if you refer witk academic writing services.
So I highly doubt anyone will read this as its in the old GYG 2016 thread, but I'm doing this simply for completion and so I can look back on this thread and see how my journey as the 'unlikely medic' progressed and how with hard work, your dreams can become more than just dreams.

A few days ago I got a pre-interview rejection from Birmingham medical school, not the end of the world as it wasn't one of my top choices, but nevertheless when you're on a gap year, everyday without an offer causes more and more stress and you can't help but wonder what you'll do if you end up with no offers.

But I'm happy so say, I got an offer from cardiff!!!
It should be unconditional as long as I pass the crb check and have any necessary vaccines :biggrin:
So from BCCD to an unconditional for medicine, what a madness, what a journey.
Original post by Ninjakam119
Hey there people! So I thought I'd start off by giving a brief introduction. I'm student studying A2 at the moment and basically I did well in GCSE's without putting any work into them, which proved to be my downfall as I went into AS's with the same mentality, thus performing quite badly... So I had to decide whether to apply for a course I didn't want to do, or smash my A2 exams to get the grades I need for my dream goal... to become a medical student. I got 5A*s and 10As at GCSE but got BCCD at AS.
So I'm hoping for A*A*A (A*AA more realistically (I know realistic isn't the word I should be using :laugh:)
If someone told me they got the same AS grades as me and they still wanted to do medicine, I would say they're disillusion and A/A*s are beyond their reach. But what an achievement if I can do it.
Thanks for reading and I hope on the 18th of August I'll be able to complete my story of the unlikely medic, or at least start a new chapter.

I did not manage to do it back then. I went from BEED grade to ABB. I'm only able to apply to medicine because i got a 1st in a Biochemistry degree.

Congratz on the offer though =)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by 06moca1
I did not manage to do it back then. I went from BEED grade to ABB. I'm only able to apply to medicine because i got a 1st in a Biochemistry degree.

Congratz on the offer though =)

Wow that was still a massive improvement of grades! And that's an impressive degree mark too! Thanks, best of luck for your application.
So I highly doubt anyone will read this as its in the old GYG 2016 thread, but I'm doing this simply for completion and so I can look back on this thread and see how my journey as the 'unlikely medic' progressed and how with hard work, your dreams can become more than just dreams.

A few days ago I got a pre-interview rejection from Birmingham medical school, not the end of the world as it wasn't one of my top choices, but nevertheless when you're on a gap year, everyday without an offer causes more and more stress and you can't help but wonder what you'll do if you end up with no offers.

It should be unconditional as long as I pass the crb check and have any necessary vaccines :biggrin:

Wow that's amazing :eek: Can i just ask what was the biggest difference you made between ur AS & A2 year.

congrats on your offer!! I (somehow) managed to get into Cardiff too to study biology, perhaps we'll see each other around!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending