Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Verses You'd Recommend from Other Scriptures Watch

• Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    As per the title, I'm interested in finding what others like reading from scriptures of faith groups they're not followers of..

Please note: this is not a thread for debate nor preaching. In addition all verses quoted are those you find would have a positive effect in others' lives and not used for belittling/deprecating others.

So quote away!:headbang:

ReputationRep:
    1st Corinthians 13

Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant 5 or rude. It does not insist on its own way; it is not irritable or resentful;[6 it does not rejoice at wrongdoing, but rejoices with the truth.7 Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things.

8 Love never ends. As for prophecies, they will pass away; as for tongues, they will cease; as for knowledge, it will pass away.9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when the perfect comes, the partial will pass away. 11 When I was a child, I spoke like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I gave up childish ways.12 For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I have been fully known.13 So now faith, hope, and love abide, these three; but the greatest of these is love.

ReputationRep:
    Jeremiah 29 v 11-14

11 For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.

12 Then you will call on me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you.

13 You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.

14 I will be found by you,” declares the LORD, “and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you,” declares the LORD, “and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile.”

ReputationRep:
    2 Corinthians 4:16-18

So we do not lose heart. Though our outer self is wasting away, our inner self is being renewed day by day. For this light momentary affliction is preparing for us an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal

ReputationRep:
    Matthew 11:28-29

Come to me, all who labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls

ReputationRep:
    “Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.”- Dalai Lama XIV

ReputationRep:
    Matthew 6 vs 33 "But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you"

Psalm 139 vs 14 "I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well."

Psalm 91 vs 1 "He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty"

Psalm 1 vs 7 "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction."

Matthew 7 vs 7-8 "7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: 8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened."

2 Timothy 1 vs 7 "For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind"

Romans 5 vs 8 "But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us."

Matthew 18 vs 20 "For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them"

Romans 10 vs 17 "So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God."

ReputationRep:
    Matthew 22:36-40

36 “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?”

37 Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’

38 This is the first and greatest commandment.

39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’

40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.”

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Racoon)
    You are Christian anyway; won't you post from other religious scriptures?

ReputationRep:
    "As the mind to the body so the soul to the spirit, as death to the mortal man so failure to the immortal, such is the price of all ambition."
    - Lectitio Divinatus
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I can't tell you a holy book or a verse but I once read a story about the Buddha that was very profound and made me think. A lady whose son had died approached the Buddha and asked him to bring her son back to life. The Buddha asked her to go around and find a mustard seed (IIRC) from a house where no one had died. The lady tried in vain to find one but couldn't and had to go back to the Buddha saying she had not been able to find one. The Buddha then used this to show her that death is inevitable and bereavement happens to everyone.

I thought it was a point well made, anyway

ReputationRep:
    Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 112
Size:  75.3 KB

ReputationRep:
    Quran 94:5-6

So, verily, with every difficulty, there is relief
    Verily, with every difficulty there is relief.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Balooo)
    You are Christian anyway; won't you post from other religious scriptures?
    Sorry, I only saw that after so I did add a non-biblical quote.

ReputationRep:
    Too many to write

ReputationRep:
    “The kings of the Gentiles exercise lordship over them; and those in authority over them are called benefactors. 26 But not so with you; rather let the greatest among you become as the youngest, and the leader as one who serves. 27 For which is the greater, one who sits at table, or one who serves? Is it not the one who sits at table? But I am among you as one who serves."

[Jesus (peace be upon him); Luke 22]

ReputationRep:
    39 And he came out, and went, as was his custom, to the Mount of Olives; and the disciples followed him. 40 And when he came to the place he said to them, “Pray that you may not enter into temptation.” 41 And he withdrew from them about a stone’s throw, and knelt down and prayed, 42 “Father, if thou art willing, remove this cup from me; nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.”

ReputationRep:
    "Take heed to yourselves; if your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him; 4 and if he sins against you seven times in the day, and turns to you seven times, and says, ‘I repent,’ you must forgive him.”

[Jesus (peace be upon him); Luke 17]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ash92:))
    39 And he came out, and went, as was his custom, to the Mount of Olives; and the disciples followed him. 40 And when he came to the place he said to them, “Pray that you may not enter into temptation.” 41 And he withdrew from them about a stone’s throw, and knelt down and prayed, 42 “Father, if thou art willing, remove this cup from me; nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done.”

I love those verses

ReputationRep:
    "One is considered the best devotee who regards every being like oneself, and who can feel the pain and pleasures of others as one’s own, O Arjuna.”

Bhagavad Gita Ch.6 Verse 32

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 26, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.