Can I afford UCL?

Scroll to see replies

Thank god I'm from London and live at home. That situation is depressing

Posted from TSR Mobile
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
Original post by The Amrit
Hello, I'm thinking of accepting UCL as my firm for anthropology but the only thing deterring me is the cost of UCL and London. I am expecting an inflated cost of living compared to alternative unis but I am going to be entitled to the maximum maintenance loan (£10,700) and a £2000 grant from UCL. I was wondering whether this would be enough for a year to survive (I can be frugal if I have to) or would I still be required to get a part time job, thank you!

Wouldn't a 10,700 maintenance loan be a lot, your total debt at graduation will total at around 31,000+27,000= 58k
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Princepieman
I've ruled them out :frown:

In Scotland the government quietly scrapped the London weighting to maintenance loans circa 2011. So what that means is any Scottish student wanting to study at a London uni is effectively receiving 41% less than the same student applying through Student Finance England...

My mother is currently undergoing a PhD bringing our household income to a level where I'd be entitled to the full amount. Through SAAS that amounts to c.£7.6k + the £2k grant from UCL: I'm looking at ~£9.6k all-in.

Considering most accom falls in the ~£7k bracket + the added commuting costs, increased prices of everyday items/food and you have a situation where I won't have enough to sustain myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unfortunate to hear that Prince, I would have loved to see you at UCL, lol potentially meeting up :smile: Would you have leaned towards UCL over Warwick if costs were not an issue.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AnonymousPrince319413
Unfortunate to hear that Prince, I would have loved to see you at UCL, lol potentially meeting up :smile: Would you have leaned towards UCL over Warwick if costs were not an issue.

It's alright! I'll still pop down to London here and there for interviews, finance stuff and catching up with some friends at London unis. So if I'm around I'll give you a shout.

Probably! Their study abroad destination selection is much broader for CS students than Warwick's and I would have like to take some of the Masters level courses in their integrated Masters degree.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending