The Student Room Group

HELP!

Hi, I'm currently studying Criminology at university and have realised I've made a huge mistake in the course I have chosen and should be studying Psychology (a favourite subject of mine for years). I started the course September 2015 and have spoken to my head of year who has told me it is too late to move to another course and I'd have to start again from year 1 in September to study another course. Should I drop out of the Criminology course now to limit the amount I owe at present to SLC or continue through the rest of the year? Also, will SLC fund me for the complete 3 year course when I study Psychology in September? Thanks
absolutely 100%
Reply 2
Original post by wonderer1996
Hi, I'm currently studying Criminology at university and have realised I've made a huge mistake in the course I have chosen and should be studying Psychology (a favourite subject of mine for years). I started the course September 2015 and have spoken to my head of year who has told me it is too late to move to another course and I'd have to start again from year 1 in September to study another course. Should I drop out of the Criminology course now to limit the amount I owe at present to SLC or continue through the rest of the year? Also, will SLC fund me for the complete 3 year course when I study Psychology in September? Thanks

If you leave now, SF will want most of your last Maintenance Loan/Grant back immediately. You can usually negotiate a repayment plan if you've already spent some of it on e.g. Rent.

Check your accommodation contract - most will lock you into paying rent until the end of the academic year, even if you leave uni. You won't get any more SF this academic year if you leave uni, so you may need to stay just to avoid being hit with rent for next term that you can't afford. Depends on your circumstances and contract.

How much of your Tuition Fee Loan you need to repay, depends on when you leave. There are three exit dates during the year where you owe a larger proportion of it than you did at the last date. After the third date, you owe 100% of the loan, even if you leave before the end of the academic year. Check with your uni for the next date.

You will get full funding for a new degree course if you start a new one from scratch. Evetyone gets a 'grace' year, in case they find their first attempt turns out nit to be the subject they want to do.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest