Why is ATP described as a 'universal energy currency?' Watch

CoronationStreet
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
This is quite a common exam question so I want to make sure my answer is completely right, I would put:

Its described as a universal energy currency because all types of cells, biological and metabolic process use ATP as a source of energy. In any organism the food that it consumes is converted to ATP.

Is this completely right, is there anything else worth adding?

Thank you
Tenrec
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That sounds good, maybe add that it is often required for active transport of molecules across membranes, transport of molecules within the cell and for inducing shape changes in certain molecules giving rise to the necessary reactions in vital metabolic processes
maggiedavies
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I agree with Tenrec. What you have said is on good terms but definitely include active transporting molecules!!
Han-han-han
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Because there was a guy called 'Adam Terry-Percy' and he was really rich, so scientists used to joke that only Adam Terry Percy could afford to create all the energy needed in the cells, and that got shortened to ATP. It's so interesting, i really recommend the Bio-History course at Oxford Brookes.
rileystringer1
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Han-han-han)
Because there was a guy called 'Adam Terry-Percy' and he was really rich, so scientists used to joke that only Adam Terry Percy could afford to create all the energy needed in the cells, and that got shortened to ATP. It's so interesting, i really recommend the Bio-History course at Oxford Brookes.
Cadherin
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by CoronationStreet)
This is quite a common exam question so I want to make sure my answer is completely right, I would put:

Its described as a universal energy currency because all types of cells, biological and metabolic process use ATP as a source of energy. In any organism the food that it consumes is converted to ATP.

Is this completely right, is there anything else worth adding?

Thank you
In essence, it's because combusting food would cause cellular damage! Allows for controllable, slow ATP hydrolysis.

Used for so many things - vesicular transport and targeting, ARF, cytoskeletal contraction, motor proteins, etc.

So a lot to say about it!
Han-han-han
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by rileystringer1)
My trolling is rumbled!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birmingham City University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19
  • Harper Adams University
    Animals and Veterinary Sciences Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 23 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (112)
17.55%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (68)
10.66%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (110)
17.24%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (93)
14.58%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (63)
9.87%
How can I be the best version of myself? (192)
30.09%

Watched Threads