Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Depression at college... Watch

Announcements

Okay, I've decided to make a thread because I felt absolutely depressed today at college. It's getting worse and I struggle to get up in the mornings.

I'm taking a 2 year BTEC art course. Along with that, I am also trying to pass my maths GCSE, which is very stressful. It's taking me way too long and I'm not sure if I'll pass. I hope I will.

To be honest, I only took this course because I had no idea what I was going to do. I enjoy drawing, but I only see it as a hobby, not a career or anything. Where I live, these jobs are rare and pretty much non-existent.

I'm nearly halfway through the first year, and knowing that I have another year and a half left is suffocating. I can't breathe. I cry at night because I don't want to wake up any more. I've never felt like this and I'm really scared.

I went to therapy last year, which was my first time. They didn't prescribe me anything and thought I was healthy enough. Well, it was okay after I left, but it started to go downhill months later.

On top of not enjoying college, I also have nobody in my class I can talk to or relate to in anyway. I feel so left out. Someone asked me if I was alright and I nearly started crying. I held my cool and replied "of course".

My parents know I'm unhappy. My mother insists that I stay there until I pass my maths, then maybe drop out afterwards. An apprenticeship is a possibility, but I just don't know. I'm not interested in anything and I feel so worthless.

I just don't know.

ReputationRep:
    I can't directly help you, but I sympathise with you completely, I'm typing this now sat in the library by myself, pretending to do work which I don't actually have. I'm halfway through a 2 year photography course and the only reason I did it was to pass time in the hopes that I figure out what I really want to do before its over.. I wish someone would come up to me and ask if everything is alright.. All I can say is you're not alone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Okay, I've decided to make a thread because I felt absolutely depressed today at college. It's getting worse and I struggle to get up in the mornings.

I'm taking a 2 year BTEC art course. Along with that, I am also trying to pass my maths GCSE, which is very stressful. It's taking me way too long and I'm not sure if I'll pass. I hope I will.

To be honest, I only took this course because I had no idea what I was going to do. I enjoy drawing, but I only see it as a hobby, not a career or anything. Where I live, these jobs are rare and pretty much non-existent.

I'm nearly halfway through the first year, and knowing that I have another year and a half left is suffocating. I can't breathe. I cry at night because I don't want to wake up any more. I've never felt like this and I'm really scared.

I went to therapy last year, which was my first time. They didn't prescribe me anything and thought I was healthy enough. Well, it was okay after I left, but it started to go downhill months later.

On top of not enjoying college, I also have nobody in my class I can talk to or relate to in anyway. I feel so left out. Someone asked me if I was alright and I nearly started crying. I held my cool and replied "of course".

My parents know I'm unhappy. My mother insists that I stay there until I pass my maths, then maybe drop out afterwards. An apprenticeship is a possibility, but I just don't know. I'm not interested in anything and I feel so worthless.

I just don't know.
    (Original post by samkent6)
    I can't directly help you, but I sympathise with you completely, I'm typing this now sat in the library by myself, pretending to do work which I don't actually have. I'm halfway through a 2 year photography course and the only reason I did it was to pass time in the hopes that I figure out what I really want to do before its over.. I wish someone would come up to me and ask if everything is alright.. All I can say is you're not alone
    It will be alright guys :h:

Remember there can't always be sunshine without a little rain! Stay strong it will be all okay

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.