Announcements
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    :captain: ........... :captain:..... :captain::captain::captain:
    :captain: ........... :captain:.................:captain:
    :captain: :captain: :captain:.................:captain:
    :captain: ........... :captain:.................:captain:
    :captain: ........... :captain:..... :captain::captain::captain:

Choo choo! All aboard the S.S. Tipton Sean before it takes off.

My name is Sean, and I'm a second year Mathematical Sciences student at the University of Bath.

The story so far:
    Spoiler:
    Show

University of Bath first year: 67% overall

Algebra 1: 59

Analysis 1: 64

Methods and Applicaitions: 71

Probability and Statistics: 78

Programming and Discrete Mathematics: 63

Optional unit:
    Japanese stage 1: 93
    First year counts towards 0% of the degree.

Where are you now that I need you?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Second year counts towards 33% of the degree, equal between both semesters.

Semester 1 options:

Algebra 2A - exam didn't go too well.

Analysis 2A - exam didn't go too well.

Ordinary differential equations and control - exam didn't go too well, but the exam is being reviewed as many have complained about it being far too difficult.

Probability 2A - exam went okay.

Statistics 2A - exam went well.

Japanese 2A - exams went okay, expecting around 90.

Semester 1 results should be here by the 28th of February.
    What are my goals for the next semester?.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm hoping to improve my grades and finish the year with 70% or above overall.

In particular, I am aiming for:

95 or above in Japanese 2B.

70 or above in the Statistics 2B group coursework.

Actual: 68

including 80 or above in 'midterm tests'.

Whilst I got 95 in one of the midterm tests and 53 in the other, I did not get above 80 for either of them.

80 or above in Statistics 2B overall.

70 or above in Analysis 2B and Probability 2B.

Yellow indicates near misses and reds indicate being much further away from my target. There are no greens :hide:
    How am I going to achieve those goals?
    Spoiler:
    Show

I am someone who makes rough plans of what should be done and when by, rather than have rigid timetables. When it comes to exam times I work consistently, doing at least 6 hours a day when lectures aren't timetabled. I must look into making these times more effective.

It is a goal of mine to go to every single lecture, problem class and tutorial this semester, as well as do every problem sheet.

I am also going to start studying from the first week of the semester and do tiny bits.

And also have fun at uni while I'm at it - spend time with friends, do my own thing etc.
    I'll decide on which day of the week I'll update this, as I have two other blogs on this site to run as well! :rofl:

Best of luck to everyone else in the competition. I'll help you guys by ending this post with the definition of studying.

Post number 1 - Tuesday the 26th of January: an overview of the blog and a glimpse of what it's like to be at uni.
    Post number 2 - Sunday the 7th of February: Review of week 1 and what lectures are like.
    Post number 3 - Monday the 15th of February: Review of week 2 and what a clean room can do for you.
    Post number 4 - Sunday the 21st of February: Review of week 3, buses and xboxes.
    Post number 5 - Sunday the 28th of February - Review of week 4, results and vlogs.
    Post number 6 - Thursday the 10th of March - short update.
    Post number 7 - Sunday the 13th of March - short update.
    Post number 8 - Sunday the 20th of March - start of Easter holidays :woo:
    Post number 9 - Sunday the 27th of March - halfway through Easter and how I'm using my half term.
    Post number 10 - Sunday the 24th of April - coursework disasters and the coming weeks.
    Post number 11 - Sunday the 15th of May - first two exams over and done with.
    Post number 12 - Monday the 20th of June - reflecting on how everything went. Long post, but full of advice and pictures and vines.
    Post number 13 - Sunday the 21st of August - a fun 'article' I wrote on procrastination.
    Post number 14 - Monday the 22nd of August - reflections and adieu.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, them A2 module marks... Good luck! Just out of curiosity, what does the Japanese unit entail? (there's a good chance what you say will go over my head, I can just about comprehend C4 haha)
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninjakam119)
    Wow, them A2 module marks... Good luck! Just out of curiosity, what does the Japanese unit entail? (there's a good chance what you say will go over my head, I can just about comprehend C4 haha)
    Thanks!

At Bath we just work through the Genki textbooks, at the moment we're on still on book 1. We learn how to read, write, listen and speak Japanese and learn a bit about the culture. We also get an exam for each of those aspects during the semester. I'll be sure to talk about what I learn during each week!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Thanks!

At Bath we just work through the Genki textbooks, at the moment we're on still on book 1. We learn how to read, write, listen and speak Japanese and learn a bit about the culture. We also get an exam for each of those aspects during the semester. I'll be sure to talk about what I learn during each week!
    That sounds much more interesting than my grow your grades blog haha! Sorry I thought the Japanese units were a part of your maths degree :unsure: I'm looking forward to it.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninjakam119)
    That sounds much more interesting than my grow your grades blog haha! Sorry I thought the Japanese units were a part of your maths degree :unsure: I'm looking forward to it.
    Don't talk yourself down yet there's plenty of time to think of ideas and how to write it etc.

At some universities and for some subjects you can study language modules that count towards your overall grade, like some subjects here (eg Natural Sciences) you have the option of doing that from the first year. I can only study it as an optional thing until the third year, where it's possible for it to count towards my degree (if they let me, that is. ).

It'd be really difficult to study Maths in Japanese, I don't understand it sometimes when it's in English. :rofl:

Just about to have a peek at your medic blog now

ReputationRep:
    I'm surprised your Japanese marks are so high

ReputationRep:
    Uni modules sound so indepth and exciting, best of luck to you
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunnydespair)
    I'm surprised your Japanese marks are so high
    To be honest I am half Japanese but after doing the GCSE I'd never had a use for it so I had forgotten almost all of it, and the classes are serving as refreshers. :angelblush: which is why my target for it is so high!

(Original post by Sayless)
    Uni modules sound so indepth and exciting, best of luck to you
    Sometimes too indepth... :innocent:

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    This is so cheesy, I love it. Good luck!
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flippantri)
    This is so cheesy, I love it. Good luck!
    Cheesy is my middle name.

Thanks! :hat2:

ReputationRep:
    Choo choo! All aboard the S.S. Tipton Sean before it takes off.

My name is Sean, and I'm a second year Mathematical Sciences student at the University of Bath.

The story so far:
    Spoiler:
    Show

University of Bath first year: 67% overall

Algebra 1: 59

Analysis 1: 64

Methods and Applicaitions: 71

Probability and Statistics: 78

Programming and Discrete Mathematics: 63

Optional unit:
    Japanese stage 1: 93

First year counts towards 0% of the degree.

Where are you now that I need you?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Second year counts towards 33% of the degree, equal between both semesters.

Semester 1 options:

Algebra 2A - exam didn't go too well.

Analysis 2A - exam didn't go too well.

Ordinary differential equations and control - exam didn't go too well, but the exam is being reviewed as many have complained about it being far too difficult.

Probability 2A - exam went okay.

Statistics 2A - exam went well.

Japanese 2A - exams went okay, expecting around 90.

Semester 1 results should be here by the 28th of February.

What are my goals for the next semester?.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I'm hoping to improve my grades and finish the year with 70% or above overall.

In particular, I am aiming for:

95 or above in Japanese 2B.

70 or above in the Statistics 2B group coursework.

80 or above in Introduction to Accounting and Corporate Finance for Managers, including 80 or above in 'midterm tests'.

80 or above in Statistics 2B overall.

70 or above in Analysis 2B and Probability 2B.
    How am I going to achieve those goals?
    Spoiler:
    Show

I am someone who makes rough plans of what should be done and when by, rather than have rigid timetables. When it comes to exam times I work consistently, doing at least 6 hours a day when lectures aren't timetabled. I must look into making these times more effective.

It is a goal of mine to go to every single lecture, problem class and tutorial this semester, as well as do every problem sheet.

I am also going to start studying from the first week of the semester and do tiny bits.

And also have fun at uni while I'm at it - spend time with friends, get involved in societies etc.

I'll decide on which day of the week I'll update this, as I have two other blogs on this site to run as well! :rofl:

Best of luck to everyone else in the competition. I'll help you guys by ending this post with the definition of studying.

Good luck with everything Sean, those are great achievements and goals you have there
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kandykissesxox)
    Good luck with everything Sean, those are great achievements and goals you have there
    Thank you! You should set one of these up too. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Wowzers, your A level results are amazing!

Best of luck with it all! You'll ace it
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Babs Posh)
    Wowzers, your A level results are amazing!

Best of luck with it all! You'll ace it
    thanks. I've posted on your blog already, but good luck to you too :hat2:

ReputationRep:
    Best of luck! You sound well clued up, and your take on studying perfectly describes my scenario every night!
    And as previously mentioned, your A-Level results are great, I hope that I can achieve grades in those realms

On another note, roughly what percentage would be a first? Or in other words, how did you rank with the percentage you achieved in first year from everyone doing the course?

ReputationRep:
    wait... wait... SeanFM this is a competition? X'D
    what do you win ?

I'm just doing it for the motivationZ :3
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kozmo)
    Best of luck! You sound well clued up, and your take on studying perfectly describes my scenario every night!
    And as previously mentioned, your A-Level results are great, I hope that I can achieve grades in those realms

On another note, roughly what percentage would be a first? Or in other words, how did you rank with the percentage you achieved in first year from everyone doing the course?
    :woo: glad to know I'm not the only one.

Thank you! I hope that with the aid of your blog you will be able to.

It seems that overall Bath awarded 27% of final year students a first either this year or the last year.

How I compare to my course, I'm not sure. I do know that out of around 360 at the start of year 1, semester 1, there are now about 300 of us.

(Original post by z33)
    wait... wait... SeanFM this is a competition? X'D
    what do you win ?

I'm just doing it for the motivationZ :3
    See this thread

Prizes can be motivation too

and thanks for the lovely message in the personal rep

ReputationRep:
    See this thread

Prizes can be motivation too

and thanks for the lovely message in the personal rep
    Ah I just read through it - thanks :3!
    true true

no problemo

ReputationRep:
    WOW! good luck you can do this!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    YEAS SeanFM!

Looking forward to this one. It's so hard to keep motivated at uni- the struggle is real!

Good luck with everything

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.