Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Sean's Ship to Success Watch

Announcements
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by titfortat)
    SeanFM WOW! This is great! Thank you for spending time typing this up and posting for the benefit of others :yep: Myself and I'm sure many others appreciate this I think I'm going to use your post it note idea. I hope you get the results that you want on the 8th and I wish you luck on your placement

tat x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    That's no problem at all! How are you finding your holiday so far? Also, will your placement at Sainsburys have anything to do with the degree you're taking?

Thanks,
    tat x
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by titfortat)
    That's no problem at all! How are you finding your holiday so far? Also, will your placement at Sainsburys have anything to do with the degree you're taking?

Thanks,
    tat x
    It's going by far too quickly :hide: I only have under 2 weeks left until the placement starts, it's crazy.

Otherwise, fairly relaxing. France was cool and hopefully I get to go to Northern Ireland nextweek to see some football

(and hope I make it back in one piece :hide:)

The placement'll have some things in common, I suppose, but not directly, more like using a lot of skills that I've gained during my degree - eg I'd be required to use Excel and another program and write up reports, analyse things etc, which I haven't done explicitly during my course but have done similar things for coursework, using coding etc. As well as 'operational research' which I haven't studied yet but will be in the final year - apparently it has stuff to do with that too.

ReputationRep:
    It's going by far too quickly :hide: I only have under 2 weeks left until the placement starts, it's crazy.

Otherwise, fairly relaxing. France was cool and hopefully I get to go to Northern Ireland nextweek to see some football

The placement'll have some things in common, I suppose, but not directly, more like using a lot of skills that I've gained during my degree - eg I'd be required to use Excel and another program and write up reports, analyse things etc, which I haven't done explicitly during my course but have done similar things for coursework, using coding etc. As well as 'operational research' which I haven't studied yet but will be in the final year - apparently it has stuff to do with that too.
    Oh, have fun at the match! Your placement is starting soon too! Right, that makes sense, sounds fun 😄 .

ReputationRep:

Honestly, enjoy your remaining time before your placement. Even my friend who is absolutely enjoying what he's doing is damn knackered and just wants to finish already. You will have a great time but you will realise how much you have taken the student life for granted so enjoy it before you become a changed man! (And good luck!)
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InadequateJusticex)
    Honestly, enjoy your remaining time before your placement. Even my friend who is absolutely enjoying what he's doing is damn knackered and just wants to finish already. You will have a great time but you will realise how much you have taken the student life for granted so enjoy it before you become a changed man! (And good luck!)
    Thanks, I'll try my best :lol:

SeanFM

Wow, thank you for taking the time to type all this up! Definitely worth the wait! :yep:
    It took two days to read :giggle: :getmecoat:

It's been wonderful reading your study blog this year! I know that it has definitely helped others and will continue to do so in the future.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aamirac)
    SeanFM

Wow, thank you for taking the time to type all this up! Definitely worth the wait! :yep:
    :getmecoat:

It's been wonderful reading your study blog this year! I know that it has definitely helped others and will continue to do so in the future.
    :toofunny: thank you for the support: :thumbsup: :woo: :party:

and for reading all of that. :hide:

And thanks, that is exactly what I hope the blog will do :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Good luck. Hope you get a First (Class Honours)

Posted from TSR Mobile

SeanFM I owe you a rep here I have never noticed that post but it looks really cool ! - just read a bit :3 -
    Why are you on PRSOM :cry2:

Also with my French accent I read your title a bit like that :
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  image.png
Views: 86
Size:  325.0 KB
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Something different

I could write an essay on.. a lot of things like radioactive bananas but I thought I would convey some information in a different (and hopefully interesting) way, in the format of an online article.

Procrastination could be a good thing
    21 August 2016

PROCRASTINATION is not only a word but a way of life for many students who are all-too-familiar with its allure. However, there could be a way to productively use that time, a study suggests.

The research, conducted by Sean, concluded that there are ways of procrastinating where students don't feel guilty about taking time off of work and doing something that is productive, gives a sense of progress and ultimately can give you benefits in your studies. The concept was coined 'positive procrastination' by Ethereal World, a graduate of the University of Bath.

(Original post by Ethereal World)
    Procrastinating that makes you feel good. I called it positive procrastinating or po-pro and it's basically when I do really productive stuff and get my life in order to avoid doing work. But you don't feel half as bad.
    This can be achieved through any method, such as cleaning your room, doing the dishes or even going for a run.

Studies* show that that positive procrastination yields on average a 125% increase in efficiency of studies

I tried it out for myself by jogging regularly every week as well as cleaning up my room.

Where did the mess go? A before and after shot of a room that had been cleaned.

I was satisfied with the results; not only had I had a fun time with some music on, cleaning up my room but it really helped in two different ways: I had more space, in my room in general but also on my desk and this helped it to feel less cluttered - and by extension, so was my mind. It also helped to have felt like I'd achieved something and also have a treat at the end of it - I chose to have some waffles from Tesco, and this made me think 'yes, I can do this' and go on to study later on.
    I also teamed up with another GYG poster who very kindly cleaned their room and gave their verdict of how it made them feel.

Before and after: A highly organised student's room

She said:
    (Original post by aamirac)
    Whilst cleaning, there's always a bigger mess than what you started with because you're moving stuff around. But after I felt that it was somewhat rewarding to see the difference. It's nicer to work in, I feel more motivated to work since there isn't clutter everywhere and I can clearly see all my work in front of me
    This way of procrastinating could kill two birds with one stone and ultimately improve your grades, the dream of every student.

*not a real study

Special thanks to aamirac and Ethereal World
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:

The fate of Ten

...is a book in one of my most favourite book series ever, of which I'm reading the final one at the moment as well as trying to juggle Wuthering Heights, as someone pretty cool recommended it to me and I kind of life the challenge - it's not like the normal stuff I read but anyway...

Dun dun dun

I got my results back some time ago, and found that I had a resit. In truth I had a lucky escape, as I was dangerously close to having another one where I would have to actually go to Bath and physically sit, which I don't think would've been much fun. But I'll share the steps I took from start to finish during this very fun process.

0. Yes, 0. It is worth noting that the procedure and rules and all of that stuff varies from university to university. The one I had to do was one where you resit the same exam paper, but instead of answering 3 out of 4 like you would in the actual exam, you had to answer all of them. Unfortunately there is usually at least one section for the exams here that is just icky and people don't bother studying, or in my case 2 out of 4 :lol: oh, and the pass mark was 70%.

1. I was secretly hoping that it wouldn't come to it, as I've only had one other exam I genuinely thought I failed and actually passed by a bit so I hoped I'd never have to go through it. I received an email saying that I had to quickly reply to an email confirming that I'd received instructions that I had to resit the exam. I was a bit disappointed and not keen on how the next few weeks ago or how easy/difficult I would find the resit, where I could answer the exam over 5 weeks with my notes, past papers and problem sheets all in front of me. Sounds easy enough.. right? Not really.

2. I spent the first 2 weeks going through the lecture notes. I read through the exam paper twice to see what areas I'd have to pay particular attention to and noted sections of the notes where the answer to a definition or proof question was already there, or for the other questions where there was a similar example. There weren't that many of these things, though.

3. After that I started to make rough notes on some of the questions. I skipped some because I coulnd't find any similar examples and google didn't help, but for others I digged through past papers and problem sheets and found identical questions and felt a bit silly, but at the same time, not really. This was because I'd have done really well to have remembered all of this stuff and got round to practicing it - a lesson for the future, though.

4. I decided to put pen to paper. I had to rewrite some things because my handwriting is naturally terrible, and this hurt my hand in the progress. I'm not convinced I'd used a pen for as long as I did in those few weeks as I had for the rest of the year. I needed 56 marks and I suspect that I'll get between 52 and 60, so it's a bit risky, but I honestly couldn't do the icky section that they always put in there, even with the notes and problem sheets. Sounds surprising but.. :erm: it was icky.

5. I got bored of seeing it and sent it off a day early. Hopefully I don't regret that, but anyway it'd been my life for the past few weeks trying to make sure that I'd pass and not get kicked off, so I was just done with it, sent it off and went to Starbucks to celebrate.

6. Waiting for the outcome in September. :hide:

It was a stressful process and I'm still just kind of sitting around now and feeling knackered. I'm not sure what else to say - hopefully this is something I will remember in the third year where my grade is really important.

Results

So... actual results.

I can't post a breakdown of my marks as they've removed them temporarily from the website, but I roughly remember them and they average out to 55%. It didn't come as a huge surprise, nor was I disappointed. I don't know, I can't remember the last time I felt disappointed about results, it's not something I do, it seems.

I am aware, however, that that's not where I want be at the end of it all. That doesn't mean I'm going to miraculously get better and ace my third year but I am determined to do so. I guess you can apply the same logic for if you've not done as well as you've hoped in Year 12, and want to do well in Year 13. It helped me to think about how I could improve, what went well and what didn't go so well in terms of revision, actual learning, exams, any metric you can think of. I also reminded myself of my goals and one person in particular I am doing this in particular for and really need a good degree to make sure that she can live life comfortably, and that is of course my lovely mum.

I'm not disheartened as, while it is going to be quite difficult to achieve a first, it's very much possible to determine my overall grade just on the performance of the third year as it weighs 68% of my overall grade, so a not-so-hot grade from 32% doesn't make everything impossible.

And as previously mentioned, I've got my hands on two sets of notes for the first semester so hopefully I'll have finished them before uni even begins. Slight overkill, I know, but if it makes a difference to my grade then I'll do it.

reflecting on the blog and study techniques once more

What went well

[/b][/u]
    • Posted fairly regularly. As I intended to from the original post, I mostly posted on Sundays and sometimes around that time.
    • Images help to break up essays. Vines, too.
    • Frequency of posting. Had enough to say each week and maybe not enough to give a day by day account, which wouldn't have worked for me.
    • A good amount of insight (hopefully) into the undergraduate experience at university.
    • Posts often broken up to make it easier to read.
    • Nice to team up with someone else as well as to read other people's blogs and support them in their journeys, and for them to know that I am reading it and taking notes :work: :lol:
    For studies:
    • :erm: :lol: :hmmmm: :iiam:
    • It was good to see my hard work for one mid-semester test where there wasn't a huge amount of other things going on, so I really studied hard for that one, did practice papers etc and it paid off as the questions were similar to previous ones, if not the same, and I knew how to do them.
    • Discovered the fun of positive procrastination.
    • The posters were fun to make and useful as a memorisation exercise. I could kind of picture the posters in the exam.
    What didn't go so well
    • Maybe slightly lengthy at times :lol:
    • I began posting scores on problem sheets, missing lectures etc but I missed a bit more than I should have whilst promising myself to go to every single lecture etc etc - maybe that is something I should have continued doing. In itself it is not very useful but if I had to share it with someone then it'd pressure me to do as well as possible.
    For studies:
    • My mindmap idea I couldn't really keep up because it wasn't really working for me and I didn't have the time after a while. I think I could have done it better though by not just recapping last week's information but by grouping it properly, but the notes already kind of do that by having things in a sequential order. But eg I could keep all the single integration stuff together, double integration somewhere else etc.
    • Keep on top of things. I missed lectures to catch up on other lectures which was a vicious cycle. :hide:
    • Past papers and problem sheets. There is so much information to take in but these are the most helpful resources for exams, so instead of cramming I should do it over time and revisit past papers.

some random questions that I thought of and answered

What was the high point of the uni year?

By far securing a placement. And beating some friends on FIFA 3-0 when they're a lot better than me and I don't usually win.

...and naturally, the low point?

Funnily enough, not getting my second set of results but during my coursework where I just felt absolutely anxious, moreso than during exam season where I was oddly calm.

Most emotional moment?

When my mum had sent me some stuff for uni by post, which included some Harry Potter socks, a harry potter duvet cover (featured in some of my photos) and some of my favourite waffles from Tescos. :cry: :hide:

Most cringy moment?

When my dad got me a plane that he won at an investor's evening and said that he wanted me to be a 'high flyer' :lol:

Quote of the year:

"That's going on the poor banter chart.". I think we forgot to count the person with the least/most points.

what have I been up to since results day?

I've already blogged a bit about my month-long summer before starting my placement, and to be honest my placement and resit have occupied most of my time. I did however go to Paris (see a previous post), as well as Sweden, to sightsee as well as see some football, and of course, I have some lovely photos. I also have a season ticket for Fulham FC, it is great to go to.

Shiny towers

Home ground of BK Hacken in Sweden

Craven Cottage, England.

I wanted to get round to some other stuff like learning a few languages (it is my dream to be a polyglot :love:) and how to drive, which I should start soon, and I also discovered how therapeutic reading is. I don't really get much of a chance as I used to always do it on buses or trains, which I hardly use anymore..so I'm going to find some time at home to just read. It's nice.

top tips for upcoming uni students!
    • Keep on top of work. Don't fall behind.
    • Get involved in any way you can - helps with your employability and your happiness.
    • Budget carefully so that you can treat yourself, particularly around exam time.
    • It is natural to want to drop out at some point, but talk it through with people and stick it out for a while and see if your mood changes.
    • Make sure you're aware of how things are marked, how to get top marks etc. Helps for essay/coursework/exams/everything.

...that's it from me. Hopefully this has been useful for getting insight into the uni experience, whether it's about the late buses or coursework disasters and the strange life of a student outside of term time.

It's been really interesting to see the journeys of other people, and I see that a lot have got the grades they wanted so well done.

This ship has now passed the boundary of a storm in the ocean and is in eye of the storm, and later hopes to fly out of the top of the storm and land safely in a port. What a lovely image.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I hope it's good news for you in September. :hugs:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

I just found your blog - it is the best thing ever!The best of luck to you Monsieur artiste :mmm:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.