Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    My target grades for A2 are BCC which aren't really that great. In my UCAS I applied for German and Japanese/Chinese, one of my choices was to Sheffield which was a bit of a wildcard. But I was surprised when I got an offer from then, the offer was ABB which is way above my targets and theres little chance I'll get anywhere near that. So why did they bother giving me and offer?

I should add I applied for the wrong course as well, I applied for modern languages which I thought included Japanese but it turns out it doesn't. This was even more confusing since only half of my personal statement would've been relevant.

ReputationRep:
    So what, don't worry WHY they've given your the offer, be happy that they did it!
    They have their reasons I am sure and maybe in the end it isn't all about grades and how close you are to AAA (or whatever) but what makes you personally special and what they think you can contribute to their uni

Same thing here though. I applied without even thinking about getting an offer but I got three out of five. Even one from Manchester although their standards are pretty high and there are over 400 applicants for about 60 places so .. there IS hope for all of us :banana2:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by willjustme1)
    My target grades for A2 are BCC which aren't really that great. In my UCAS I applied for German and Japanese/Chinese, one of my choices was to Sheffield which was a bit of a wildcard. But I was surprised when I got an offer from then, the offer was ABB which is way above my targets and theres little chance I'll get anywhere near that. So why did they bother giving me and offer?

I should add I applied for the wrong course as well, I applied for modern languages which I thought included Japanese but it turns out it doesn't. This was even more confusing since only half of my personal statement would've been relevant.
    You may have been the only applicant for a pretty obscure course and may mean the difference between the department staying open and having to close.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by willjustme1)

I do Chinese with Japanese at Sheffield and they do tend to be quite lenient with grades. A coursemate of mine got in to do Chinese with BCC in science subjects with an offer of ABB. Can't talk for the School of Languages and Cultures, which German is under, but it is one of the lesser popular courses, so they'll be more willing you to let you in if you don't quite meet the grades

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.