Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone get in without reaching the grade requirements? Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    I'm hoping to attend Goldsmiths in September 2016 to study History of Art. I have received a conditional offer requiring "ABB" (I was not asked to come to an interview) but I am quite worried in case I do not get the A!

Has anyone had experience of themselves/friends/etc. getting into Goldsmiths with being one grade off?
    I study some quite difficult subjects (a modern foreign language and philosophy for example) so I'm hoping they will take this into account?

I received 3 B's at AS, and was 3 off an A in one of my courses. I am also resitting my language written/listening/reading exam in order to try and get an A overall.

ReputationRep:
    Everything is taken on an individual basis, however, don't throw all your eggs in one basket. Goldsmiths is ok, but is in the most undesirable location, it is located right next to a high street of run down shops and fast food rubbish. It is south east London, so don't be surprised.

I have never failed getting into university when it comes to GCSE's, not a single C to my name, had offers from some of the best in the country.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, what an unhelpful response you just got. I'm on the History of Art course at the moment and you get a real mix of people. If your application was strong, ie you made a convincing case for wanting to study contemporary art, then you're likely to get accepted. One thing is that they won't take into account how "hard" your subjects are necessarily. I honestly wouldn't worry about it too much, just make sure the course is right for you before choosing it because it's not anything like other History of Art degrees.

ReputationRep:
    personal statement / reason for wanting to study is more important.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by warszawa)
    I'm hoping to attend Goldsmiths in September 2016 to study History of Art. I have received a conditional offer requiring "ABB" (I was not asked to come to an interview) but I am quite worried in case I do not get the A!

Has anyone had experience of themselves/friends/etc. getting into Goldsmiths with being one grade off?
    I study some quite difficult subjects (a modern foreign language and philosophy for example) so I'm hoping they will take this into account?

I received 3 B's at AS, and was 3 off an A in one of my courses. I am also resitting my language written/listening/reading exam in order to try and get an A overall.
    Hi warszawa,

If you don't meet the conditions of your offer (by a whisker), you may still be considered, but only if places remain on the course. Generally applicants who meet or exceed the entry requirements will be considered first.

Other factors, such as personal statements and references, are also important.

In summary - you may still get a place if you don't meet your conditions, but we can't guarantee this.

All the best,
    Shaun

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.