Recently found out I have epilepsy. AMA

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
I was diagnosed last Monday.

It's a form of epilepsy were my seizures happen in the night.
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You have my sympathy. I had this as a child and it was awful.

How exactly did you find out?
Neostigmine
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
How did it start? If they were happening at night how could you tell it was happening?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Neostigmine)
How did it start? If they were happening at night how could you tell it was happening?
First seizure happened whilst I was revising hard for an early GCSE entry. So stress might have been a contributing factor.

I couldn't tell. Thing is, since I was very young, I used to have night terrors a lot (waking up crying, confused from nightmares). My brother witnessed the first seizure, then my mum also witnessed the few that followed.
batoot
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
smoke dat dank kush be4 u sleep
Spoiler:
Show
or look into medical marijuana i'm being serious
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Tiger Rag)
You have my sympathy. I had this as a child and it was awful.

How exactly did you find out?
Thanks.

Sorry my eyes just glimpsed past your post. Yeah my answer to how I found out is ^^^

So you're seizure free now? You can drive?
ivy.98
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i can relate :console: yeah same OP, mine are always happen when i try to fall asleep or while sleeping. do you also get triggered by certain things?
also do you know the cause?
Tiger Rag
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Thanks.

Sorry my eyes just glimpsed past your post. Yeah my answer to how I found out is ^^^

So you're seizure free now? You can drive?
I am seizure free now, yes. I can't drive now; but that's a completely separate issue.

Do you know what your triggers are? With me, it appeared (and I remember dad saying the same) to be a a lack of sleep. The last time I had a seizure was October 9th 2000. I am not sure what happened that night; but I could not sleep at all. At some point, (whilst being fast asleep and I don't remember this) I had a seizure) and was pretty much out of it for the rest of the day.
Anonymous #2
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by ivy.98)
i can relate :console: yeah same OP, mine are always happen when i try to fall asleep or while sleeping. do you also get triggered by certain things?
I was diagnosed last Monday.

It's a form of epilepsy were my seizures happen in the night.
I sometimes feel paralyzed when i am asleep or on the brink of falling asleep. What differs paralysis from seizures?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by batoot)
smoke dat dank kush be4 u sleep
Spoiler:
Show
or look into medical marijuana i'm being serious
Lol, I'm good with the medication I'm on (for now ).

(Original post by ivy.98)
(Original post by Tiger Rag)
I am seizure free now, yes. I can't drive now; but that's a completely separate issue.

Do you know what your triggers are? With me, it appeared (and I remember dad saying the same) to be a a lack of sleep. The last time I had a seizure was October 9th 2000. I am not sure what happened that night; but I could not sleep at all. At some point, (whilst being fast asleep and I don't remember this) I had a seizure) and was pretty much out of it for the rest of the day.
Ummm, nothing really triggers it. My MRI was fine (no physical brain damage). Doc says the EEG shows I have some inconsistencies in my electrical patterns (something like that lol) but nothing really major. And I my brain slightly reacts differently to flashing lights. But as far as I know, the chances of a siezure happening are mainly in REM stage of sleep, and like I said: stress could also be a contributing factor.

I sometimes feel paralyzed when i am asleep or on the brink of falling asleep. What differs paralysis from seizures?
Yeah I heard about sleep paralysis; sounds hard. You still know what's going on right when it happens? Because, seizures for me are when I'm asleep/unconscious. You should research that and ask your GP, but good luck.
Mactotaur
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What's your next step?
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Mactotaur)
What's your next step?
Carry on taking my medication and continue with life as it is. If I don't get any more seizures I can stop taking them.
Anonymous #3
Report 5 years ago
Carry on taking my medication and continue with life as it is. If I don't get any more seizures I can stop taking them.
Diagnosed with epilepsy in March 2015, driving ban for one year. Toughest year of my life so far. Used to drive 30 miles to work so relocated. Took Keppra for first 6 months but found out this was the route of my depression so moved onto lamotrigine for a couple of months then decided I didn't want medication anymore so stopped taking it in November and not had a seizure since. Doctor says it will come back eventually and advise taking medication but we will see. It gets better trust me.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about starting university this autumn?

Really excited (58)
21.89%
Excited but a bit nervous (121)
45.66%
Not bothered either way (34)
12.83%
I'm really nervous (52)
19.62%

Watched Threads