Discuss the role of endogenous pacemakers in the control of circadian rhythms.

Watch
ambergraver
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I'm really struggling to how to start, and end with this question!!!

Please can anyone help me to understand?
Neostigmine
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ambergraver)
I'm really struggling to how to start, and end with this question!!!

Please can anyone help me to understand?
What do you already know?

Circadian rhythms govern behaviour over roughly 24 hours and are seen in many different species.

In humans, one example is the sleep-wake cycle that is governed by the SCN which causes melanin production when it's dark, making us sleep.

What species are you looking at? How much detail do you need?
ambergraver
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Neostigmine)
What do you already know?

Circadian rhythms govern behaviour over roughly 24 hours and are seen in many different species.

In humans, one example is the sleep-wake cycle that is governed by the SCN which causes melanin production when it's dark, making us sleep.

What species are you looking at? How much detail do you need?
I have only had two lessons haha! I know the basics about the rhythm and then know studies such as siffre and morgan/silver etc i know about the sleep wake cycle and that the suprachiasmatic nucleus sends a message to the pineal glad to produce melatonin etcetc and that exogenous zeitgebers help to keep this cycle on track e.g. light and dark triggers the cycle.

(obviously that is terribly explained but just to outline what i do know - it's more how i can structure it!!)

I just have no idea how to start it i.e. do i explain what a circadian rhythm IS, or do i go straight into explaining how the exogenous zeitgebers and endogenous pacemaker works together i just don't know haha!
Neostigmine
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ambergraver)
I have only had two lessons haha! I know the basics about the rhythm and then know studies such as siffre and morgan/silver etc i know about the sleep wake cycle and that the suprachiasmatic nucleus sends a message to the pineal glad to produce melatonin etcetc and that exogenous zeitgebers help to keep this cycle on track e.g. light and dark triggers the cycle.

(obviously that is terribly explained but just to outline what i do know - it's more how i can structure it!!)

I just have no idea how to start it i.e. do i explain what a circadian rhythm IS, or do i go straight into explaining how the exogenous zeitgebers and endogenous pacemaker works together i just don't know haha!
I'd definitely start with what a CR is as youll be referrring to it the whole time.

The go onto explaining EZ and EP and then their interactions.

That's just me though!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (95)
13.85%
I'm not sure (32)
4.66%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (215)
31.34%
I have already dropped out (16)
2.33%
I'm not a current university student (328)
47.81%

Watched Threads