Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much should I be able to lift in order to be a real man? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am a 17 year old guy. How much should I be able to biceps curl with one hand in order to be considered a real lad? I don't want to be one of those little neeks with no muscle.

ReputationRep:
    WoodyMKC

Angry cucumber

Also lol at the thread title, as if your worth as a man is based on how much you can lift :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Personally as long as you at least try to get strong that's fine. Personally I think it would be better if you focus on a more muscular body overall instead of just arms. That's what I'm trying to do. I doubt any girls would want a massive dench guy who has muscles bigger than their while body. Keep everything in moderation and just focus on being strong overall.

ReputationRep:
    Real men never ask the question "Am I real?", they're just getting on with it.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody outside the gym cares. In the real world, how much you look like you can lift is infinitely more important.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coollad1999)
    I am a 17 year old guy. How much should I be able to biceps curl with one hand in order to be considered a real lad? I don't want to be one of those little neeks with no muscle.
    To join the army (which-by the way does not make you a 'real man' either COZ IT'S ALL ABOUT WHAT'S INSIDE ), you have to do a 40kg powerbag lift and jerry can run (20kg either arm). I mean, I have no clue what most people lift but that seems a lot. xxxx

(Original post by Coollad1999)
    You're doing it wrong, unless you can lift yourself off the ground without any kind of support.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Nobody outside the gym cares. In the real world, how much you look like you can lift is infinitely more important.
    In other words, people care more about aesthetics than the numbers on your lifts in the real world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    In other words, people care more about aesthetics than the numbers on your lifts in the real world.

:youbetcha:

You might get the odd person ask "Oh, you go to the gym, how much do you bench?" then if you told them they probably wouldn't know if that was impressive or not :lol: I was at my mates just the other day and the neighbours, pretty young and fit themselves, shouted over "Here mate, you're a big strong lad - help us move this, would you?" - didn't ask for my lifts first or anything, just assumed so because I'm muscular. There are guys in the gym lifting heavier than me that you'd never look at and think "Wow, I bet he's strong" :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    :youbetcha:

You might get the odd person ask "Oh, you go to the gym, how much do you bench?" then if you told them they probably wouldn't know if that was impressive or not :lol: I was at my mates just the other day and the neighbours, pretty young and fit themselves, shouted over "Here mate, you're a big strong lad - help us move this, would you?" - didn't ask for my lifts first or anything, just assumed so because I'm muscular. There are guys in the gym lifting heavier than me that you'd never look at and think "Wow, I bet he's strong" :rofl:
    Some people who finish Starting Strength just look like chubby non-lifters despite lifting far more than the Average Joe.

Proportions, aesthetics and even the fit of your clothing go a long, long way.

ReputationRep:
    To be considered as a REAL man you need to be able to bench press at LEAST 800 pounds

ReputationRep:
    Eight other men. And a toilet

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Charles Dupiau)
    To be considered as a REAL man you need to be able to bench press at LEAST 800 pounds
    Lol that is impossible. I'd say a real man would bench around 70kg/ their own bodyweight.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charles Dupiau)
    In my prime I used to press on a low incline around half of that (180 kg) and believe me I was "the one" in a hardcore gym ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)
    You're doing it wrong, unless you can lift yourself off the ground without any kind of support.
    It's worrying, the amount of people who can't do a single, simple pull-up.

ReputationRep:
    I can lift a hamburger, that's all I need

I think having a **** is as manly as it gets...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alexion)
    I can lift a hamburger, that's all I need
    Spoken like a true American!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mactotaur)
    Spoken like a true American!
    oh god nooooooooo...

ReputationRep:
    If manliness is about how much we can lift, then insects are way more manly than we are.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.