The Student Room Group

I WILL NOT GIVE UP - AAAA (Maths, FM, Physics, Chem)

Scroll to see replies

13/06/16 - Fourth and last update for the day....
Its now 11pm, and I should really go to bed early :redface: I had a long break after those 6 papers and I've just finished off the last two papers I aimed to get done today. YAY :colondollar: that is the most past papers I've ever done in a day lol
I'm so proud & surprised at myself tbf hahaha

What I have learnt over the past few days...
You can cram basically all the past papers within 4 days before the exam. lol I best had do well in the real exam.
Overkill in my opinion but since I'm self teaching further maths, I need to do all of them or I will feel guilty.

Sometimes drilling it down into your head will give you the confidence for the exam...
Just that little boost can be the difference to whether you smash the paper or do absolutely dreadful.
For example my physics paper 2. When vernier calipers came up I panicked a lot :frown:

For normal maths I didn't really do a lot of papers tbf, especially for stats...
I know for a fact that if I did nearly all the stats papers then I'd probably get full marks in the real exam. :angry:
I aimed for 290/300 for Maths and I won't get near that lol probably ~280/300 :frown: and maths is easy ffs.
Certainly I'll get the highest UMS in my class by far though for Maths <- only consolation

I'd love 290/300 in further maths tho :colonhash: but I can't set my expectations too high lol
I could absolutely flop mechanics 1 and mechanics 2.
I mean it would make up for my maths UMS for sure. :colondollar:

[x] June 2006 - full marks (60 for an A)
[x] Jan 2006 - full marks (62 for an A)
A nice end to the day :smile:

Well that is 8 fp1 papers all done and dusted lol All I have left is the 2005 papers.
I'm surprised at my ability to get that many done. But to be fair some of the papers you could do within 45 minutes tops as its quite repetitive.

I am still not that confident for the exam.
I always think of the worst :angry:

I'm going to do 2005 Jan & June papers tomorrow morning as well as the 2014 & 2015 June papers.
I need to smash the 2014 & 2015 papers under timed conditions and under silence.
Hopefully no more than 2 marks dropped!!!

Anyway good night everyone!:tongue:
14/06/16 - one last push...
I'm so tired today, I've got a pretty bad headache and backache :frown:

12:15 - 12:52 - Forced myself to do June 2005 and smashed it. Full marks so that has cheered me up a bit. ~37 minutes lol you can see how easy some of the older papers are. (61 for an A)
I done it without any music, just silence. Like a real exam except I didn't use up the whole hour and a half as it was pretty easy and I want to move on as I'm actually quite sick lol.:angry:
Definitely going to bed early tonight.

13:00 - 13:45 - Jan 2005 - full marks - still feel sick. :frown: (59 for an A)

My friend has just had a breakdown over further maths and is accepting that she is going to fail. I'm the worst person ever with regards to comforting others. I told her to accept her U and lower the grade boundaries for me :h: * edit: in a joking way, before you all start to think I'm a mean person.

But seriously. I feel sorry for her, as she can't teach herself the stuff within a day - so she has had to rely on the teacher.
A teacher who hasn't even taught everything on the course as he is busy talking about Egyptians rather than teach us maths.
Its basically a social meet up as everyone is from different schools so you can see why its useless.
Anyway I could go on forever...

No way in hell am I having him for next for further maths.
I'd be better off self teaching FP2 and FP3 myself <- lol that is how bad he is.
Anyway that is the least of my priorities now.

I need to chill and take some painkillers.

I think I will do 2014 & 2015 tonight as I'm really tired.
I think I'll just lie down and have some Jasmine tea for a bit :redface:
And chill because I deserve it after all the papers I've done over the past few days lol

I'll update later today!!!!
(edited 7 years ago)
14/06/16 - FP1 TOMORROW :s-smilie: last update of the day...
June 2014 - I had to use up the entire 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Dropped 8 marks - fml - you could drop 6 marks and get 100UMS tho
It is however 97 UMS which isn't too bad at all!

(55 for an A)

I lost marks on this question where I had to find the SUM of all the solutions within 0 to 2pi using my general solution.
And showing that some matrix shows an enlargement and reflection.
I got the enlargement scale factor right but the reflection wrong :s-smilie:

June 2015 - dropped marks again :frown: This time 5 lol hey I improved in terms of raw but I've dropped down to 94 UMS lol I didn't use up the entire 1 hour and 30 minutes though, I want to go to bed. :redface: I finished within ~50 minutes.

(60 for an A)

3 marks on this series cubic inequality thing because I used the wrong series formula fml.
I feel so stupid looking at my mistakes.
And another 2 marks because I got confused on this translation vector question with k<0, PASSING THROUGH THE ORIGIN. :frown:

Am I ready for tomorrow?! I don't even know. I just hope I can perform under pressure.
Certainly I'm dropping quite a lot of marks compared to the older much easier papers.
lol I guess they are making maths harder now/less repetitive.
I'M ABSOLUTELY BRICKING IT ngl.
(edited 7 years ago)
Are all these posts more for us or yourself?
Original post by HamzahPatel
Are all these posts more for us or yourself?

Mainly myself tbh it keeps me motivated.
And its a place where I can literally say wth i want :redface:
This is such a beautiful thread.
I hope you get those A grades.
15/06/16 - mechanics left...
FP1 didn't go too great but I mustn't dwell on it or I will go insane.
I think I've scraped an A providing that I get method marks.
What annoys me is that I have done all those papers for what? :frown: Did they even help lol
I've lost ~15 marks. And with the grade boundaries in further maths that means I'd be lucky to get an A.
I don't know what has happened tbf, I was doing well in the past papers and I've just **** up the real thing.
But anyway its all over now. Goodbye FP1.:angry:

Hey maybe I can smash these mechanics exams...
I feel all deflated when I have a crap exam. Especially when it wasn't even that bad tbh.
I've got to keep aiming for the highest UMS I can.
To be fair I thought FP1 would be the one I'd do well in lol

Anyway mechanics revision...
I've took some advice from someone who has been helping me all throughout exams :redface:
I've made some notes mechanics and done the hardest AQA M1 paper I could find (53 for an A)

June 2014 - I completed it within an hour just taking my time. I honestly didn't realise that I'd finish it pretty quickly.
But anyway, it was hard ngl. I've dropped marks on silly things as well as doing things wrong :angry:
That is what I don't like about mechanics. You could either get it all right or all completely wrong.

I haven't counted up the marks I've lost because I'm too tired to work out the method marks and ecf marks I'd get for my wrong answers :redface: But that isn't the important thing. The important thing is that I understand where I have gone wrong.
I don't think I'll bother posting marks anymore for these mechanics papers I will be doing over the next few days.
More important that I know I'm improving each time rather than where I am at UMS wise lol
It will only depress me anyway if I end up doing crap in the real exam.

But things I need to focus on
Motion of connected bodies
Resultant velocities
Horizontal forces applied to object on a slope

Next paper will be Jan 2010 (55 for an A) after I've sorted these little things out.
16/06/16 - i love felt pens...
After a relatively nice sleep, I've corrected my mistakes on the June 2014 paper.
Everything seems so much more nicer when you aren't sleep deprived lol

If anyone wants to know what felt pens I use, its the papermate flair pens :tongue:

Reflection on FP1 yesterday
On another note, my friend who thought she was going to fail further maths left like 45 marks out on the FP1 paper yesterday.
:s-smilie: lol I really shouldn't be moaning about my "maybe I'll scrape an A" grade.

Still kicking myself over that 6 marker parabola, I'm so stupid I didn't include the fact that it was translated. lol no wonder why I couldn't do the question.

One thing I have learnt after the exam is to always unpick everything from the question.
And don't spend time trying to doing a question that is taking you absolutely nowhere.
Get something down so you get some marks.
And spend that time doing the question you can't do at all.

I think I'll attempt Jan 2010 now.
It wasn't anything major the mistakes I've made tbh. Its just that question with resultant velocities that confused me.
I don't normally like drawing triangles:redface: But the other ways you can do it using speed=distance/time I understand now!!!!
Reply 188
Original post by Pentaquark
16/06/16 - i love felt pens...
After a relatively nice sleep, I've corrected my mistakes on the June 2014 paper.
Everything seems so much more nicer when you aren't sleep deprived lol

If anyone wants to know what felt pens I use, its the papermate flair pens :tongue:

Reflection on FP1 yesterday
On another note, my friend who thought she was going to fail further maths left like 45 marks out on the FP1 paper yesterday.
:s-smilie: lol I really shouldn't be moaning about my "maybe I'll scrape an A" grade.

Still kicking myself over that 6 marker parabola, I'm so stupid I didn't include the fact that it was translated. lol no wonder why I couldn't do the question.

One thing I have learnt after the exam is to always unpick everything from the question.
And don't spend time trying to doing a question that is taking you absolutely nowhere.
Get something down so you get some marks.
And spend that time doing the question you can't do at all.

I think I'll attempt Jan 2010 now.
It wasn't anything major the mistakes I've made tbh. Its just that question with resultant velocities that confused me.
I don't normally like drawing triangles:redface: But the other ways you can do it using speed=distance/time I understand now!!!!

You have ACE hand writing. Love it :smile:
Original post by Rajive
You have ACE hand writing. Love it :smile:

Thank you!!
Although I would say my handwriting at school is atrocious ngl.
So I completed Jan 2010 (55 for an A) - pleasantly surprised
I took my time with this paper, just chilling with some music and again I am surprised at how I managed to complete this in an hour and 6 minutes. :redface:
Dropped 7 marks so 68/75 which is 99 UMS hmmm not bad at all.

Marks dropped...

2 accuracy marks for brackets <- stupid mistake
1 marks lost for explaining why air resistance may not be constant ^which you can see above
1 mark lost as a=0 in the horizontal component in a projectiles question.
3 marks lost on splitting components up?! lol I got the right method but ended up forgetting to add the components together and solve the quadratic for t.

wahey!! Now the third hardest paper is June 15 & June 13 (56 for an A)
I've already completed June 15 but I'll do it again. I can't remember the questions tbh so.
I'll do June 13 as well after that.

Again I'm not going to do it under timed conditions because I end up finishing early anyway haha
And I shouldn't really need to be checking my paper for silly mistakes if I am taking my time. :colonhash:
June 2015 - dropped 6 marks so 65/75 so 99 UMS. (yay improved by 1 mark lol)

One mark lost for explaining why the size of the block is took to be negligible
so there is no mixed friction as it passes from smooth to rough surface.

5 marks out of a total of 8 marks lost on this velocity time graph question.
I worked out the two accelerations of train A & B which gave me two marks then I formed the wrong quadratic
in order to find the time when train A is 9m further than train B.
I used the wrong initial velocities for A & B which gave me the two wrong displacement equations :s-smilie:

June 2013 - dropped 4 marks. I'm actually improving wth AND ITS 100UMS yay:colondollar:
Dropped a mark for not saying the resultant force on each particle is reduced if constant air resistance acts.
Dropped 3 marks for working out average velocity wrong :frown:
Average velocity = total displacement/ time
From A to B - displacement = Position vector at B - position vector at A

My corrections sheets are getting smaller yay.

Tomorrow maybe some of these papers...
57 for an A - Jan 2008 & June 2012
58 for an A - Jan 2013 & June 2007
59 for an A - Jan 2012 & Jan 2006 & Jan 2005

Working from the hardest papers down to the easiest isn't actually a bad idea.
I am improving each time lol which is to be expected I guess if the papers are slightly easier each time?
:biggrin: hey confidence booster yay
(edited 7 years ago)
17/06/16 ~3 days till M1
Exciting times we have started on some A2 chemistry today!
I'm going to be so organised and stuff for next year (lets see how long this lasts).
I'll probably get ahead on stuff during the summer if I have time.
Certainly for chemistry I'll be reading ahead.

Felt a little fed up today. I tried to do some m1 revision in the study area in school but I was so tired.
Basically done half of an m1 paper and then nearly fell asleep. Just waiting for the damn school laptops to load takes up half an hour.
School just makes me feel exhausted. Whereas at home in my room I'm really motivated :redface:

Also everyone is going to open days and stuff for university and tbh I can't really afford to go to any lol
I'll probably go to one but I wouldn't want to go on my own. I know that sounds stupid but I really can't see myself going to an open day on my own. :redface: I'll see where my friends are going and perhaps tag along.

All this stuff about universities and thinking about the future scares me.
Whilst its exciting and I can't wait to get away and start afresh somewhere else,
its quite terrifying that it all really depends on my AS results.

On that note I hate that feeling of not doing justice to myself with these AS exams.
I know I can do so much better and no one really understands it :colondollar:
I know marks aren't everything but to me they mean a lot.
I just want to do well for myself and no one else. And I have pretty high expectations :/

On another note dropped 1 mark on Jan 2008, hey another little nice surprise!
In the middle of June 12 now and edit this once I've finished it.
Three days of past papers and hoping for the best.

EDIT: OMG FULL RAW IN JUN 12 :tongue: going to plow through Jan 13 & June 2007
EDIT 2: dropped a mark on June 2007 - pesky explain that questions... & full in Jan 13

I've also gone over a few things I wasn't sure about so for example projectiles, some vector stuff and resultant velocities.
(edited 7 years ago)
18/06/16 - woke up early today...
Had breakfast at around 9:30 then started working at ~10:15
Jan 2005 M1 - dropped one mark
If the angle is increased, the friction force is reduced as the normal reaction decreases.
I talked about the tension decreasing hence why the friction force is reduced lol
As the angle increases, the tension increases hence a decrease in normal reaction.
R + Tsintheta=ma as the angle increases, the vertical component of tension would increase and so the reaction decreases.

Will edit this later today when I plow through some more papers...

Jan 2006 M1 - dropped a mark again
Again another the explain that questions :/ But hey at least I understand mechanics ?!
lol I wouldn't mind dropping a mark or two in real exam js.
Jan 2012 M1 - dropped two marks ugh
If air resistance acted on the block, there will be less friction so smaller coefficient of friction. Acceleration would remain the same so the net force will remain the same. Hence decrease in friction thus decrease in u.
I put that air resistance would decrease the acceleration so an increase in friction :colonhash:
Hey still full ums lol
(edited 7 years ago)

I've always said that making notes for maths is pointless :colonhash:
I JUST WANT FULL UMS IN THE EXAM ON TUESDAY. :frown:

Going to take a little break now and then get back onto the M1 past paper grind.

What I have left...
60 for an A - Jan 2007, June 2009
61 for an A - June 2005, June 2006, June 2008, Jan 2011
62 for an A - June 2011

And the easiest ones that I should get full raw pretty quickly
64 for an A - Jan 2009, June 2010

Seeing as I am getting through the easier papers, it shouldn't take too long.:redface:
Feeling a lot more confident for my M1 exam that's for sure.
But I really need the highest marks I can get as I don't think M2 will be as nice. :s-smilie:
Update for today...
Jan 2007 - full marks
June 2005 - dropped a mark because I'm stupid and need to read the question properly.
June 2009 - full marks - it had a very similar explain that question from June 2005 :colonhash:
June 2006 - dropped a mark on a modelling assumption thing again.

June 2008 - whooops back down to reality. dropped 4 marks.
00:01 AM - I don't understand tension :/ I'll understand it tomorrow, I'm off to bed.

These papers are rather tedious. To the point where I don't even bother checking stuff or even read the question fully and I just want to get it out of the way tbh. I can see the repetitiveness so much.

Ngl though, I feel pretty down whilst doing them. I keep thinking that it will be like FP1 all over again.
I'll smash the past papers and then flop in the real thing. The story of my life lol

I have however been adding to my corrections sheet and writing little notes to myself on possible areas that I might trip on in the exam. Rather than doing paper after paper without any sort of reflection I guess. For example working out magnitude wrong by doing Pythagoras wrong <- its really stupid things like that.

Hopefully this will all pay off. And I'll smash this M1 exam on Tuesday.
Then its one last climb for M2 which I am not looking forward to at all.
(edited 7 years ago)
19/06/16 - speedy surprises...
Woke up at 8:45 by an annoyingly loud bird.
9:00 - 9:27 I decided to get a some of an M1 paper done today before I go out for a little early morning shop.
Managed to get it all done under 30 minutes lol fml. Why are they easy?! :redface:
I didn't even realise how fast I completed it.
I didn't even drop a mark which is nice. :tongue:
Jan 2011 is now done sooo

All I have left is
62 for an A - June 2011
64 for an A - Jan 2009, June 2010

Which I should get done pretty quickly today.
I think I might look at some solomons and edexcel questions later on.

I need to revise Centre of Mass for M2 plus Circular Motion stuff as well.

I need to go buy revision snacks again. :biggrin:

June 2011 - messed up last question because my "g" changed into an "a" for some reason.
So dropped an accuracy mark.
Jan 2009 - dropped 2 stupid marks on Jan 2009 - needed to double the distance
June 2010 - dropped 2 accuracy marks because messed up signs :/

~30 minutes each to do these papers.
(edited 7 years ago)
[AQA MM1B] Analysis of past papers...
for older papers that I can't get UMS conversion for I'm just going say drop a mark= drop 2 UMS

lol average raw mark is 72 marks and average UMS is 98 :biggrin:
AQA UMS BOUNDARIES ARE GREAT.
Why does everyone do Edexcel??! AQA is far better in terms of boundaries lol

I haven't tried any Edexcel papers.
I think I'll do a few plus some gold/silver/bronze questions they have.

Overall I think an average of 72 marks is fair. And I wouldn't mind that in the real exam tbh.

Poor trees...
Improvements
I'm going to go over my corrections, make some nicer new notes and flick through the textbook for anything.
Then I'm going to do the papers I've dropped quite a few raw marks on again.
So I'm going to do June 2008 & Jan 2009 again quickly.

Then after that....
In order I'll do (based on full UMS boundary)
1. Jan 2013 (70 for full) , June 2013 (70 for full), June 2015(70 for full)
2. Jan 2010(69 for full)
3. June 2014 (67 for full)

It shouldn't take too long and everything should be done and dusted before dinner. :colondollar:
Especially because my average completion time for M1 papers has been cut down to ~30 minutes
(although for the latest papers/harder papers I do take longer than that!)
And should have learnt from my mistakes so these papers should take too long!

Edit: I've decided to not do jan 2009 or june 2008. just silly stuff ive got wrong.
I'm not doing jan 12 or june 12 as well.
I cba its so tedious doing those again.
(edited 7 years ago)
20/06/16 - what to do the day before the exam...
I've saved Jan 2010 & June 2014 to do before I go to bed.
Right now I am just watching a few examsolutions Edexcel video worked solutions to some questions.
Its nice to see how different Edexcel papers are compared to AQA. They definitely have their own styles.
Imo Edexcel papers are harder than AQA but then you look at more and more papers and you can just see the repetitiveness lol

And the Edexcel textbook for M1 is so much nicer as well just flicking through :colondollar: its beautifully laid out.
And the mixed exercises look good. I haven't tried any though because I cba.

I'm going to do a few questions from my AQA M1 revision guide which has exam questions from before 2005.
Then perhaps look through the CGP M1 textbook I was given at the start of the year.
:redface: Its weird how mechanics was really frustrating at the start of the year and now I'm hoping I'll smash the exam tomorrow.
Maybe its because I know M2 is worse lol. T

I've just got to keep calm for tomorrow :frown: I can't afford to mess up.
My highest mark will (should) come from this module for further maths.

Then after the exam I have to stay in school because chemistry practicals and what not.
When I get home I am going to try my best to nail every single topic in M2 before grinding through past papers.
If M2 is like M1/FP1 it should only take a couple of days to get through them all (20 papers).
Lets say 3 days of past paper grind providing that the papers aren't too horrible for me. :redface:
That means I've got all day Wednesday & Thursday to understand and revise all the content.

I WILL DO THIS. I WILL GET MY A IN FURTHER MATHS. WHATEVER IT TAKES.
An A* in M2 would be nice tho. (I wish)

I looked through the 2016 FP1 paper today as my teacher had it.
And it looked nice omggggggg - providing that its 60 for an A. I think i've got 61 lol
Lets say I got 80UMS for FP1. <- Was banking on this to be my "easy" module tbh

If I get 100 UMS on M1, I'd need 60 (C) in M2 to get an A overall.
Basically full UMS in M1 would make my life a bit easier :colondollar:

WILL I GET IT? TIME WILL TELL.
If tomorrow goes bad then well then I've messed up my life. lol I should have picked Biology instead :biggrin:
Unless I completely smash M2 which I highly doubt.
Can I turn into a Mechanics God please, just for this week and Monday.
(edited 7 years ago)
21/06/16 - not bad...
AQA M1 - Tuesday 21st June
I was aiming for full UMS and I may get it but if not I'll certainly come close to it.
Considering that most people found it rather hard in general, although I would say 80% of questions were pretty standard,
it will be rather low grade boundaries for full imo.
I think I have dropped roughly ~8marks so probably full seeing as a lot of people have messed up on the last question (including me). Anyway its 90+ UMS definitely.

Feelings after the exam - a little happy as it went okay but no real emotion to be honest.
I think its because I always aim to never drop marks so when I do its a bit like meh.
Now if I can do the same with M2 I'd cry with happiness :colondollar:

AQA M2 - Monday 27th June (LAST EXAM)
Can I end my exams with a bang?
I'll either be crying with happiness or sadness tbf on this day.

Predictions so far - once my exams are over I'll do a proper post but I'm in a good mood today so :colondollar:
Further Maths (all depends on M2 :frown: )
FP1 ~80 UMS [A boundary ~60/75]
M1 ~100 UMS [A boundary ~52/75]

Goal [M2 ~80 UMS] - average ~87% in FM
Aspiration [M2 90 UMS (A*)] - average 90% in FM

Maths - average 93% (A)
C1 ~ 98 UMS [A boundary ~60/75]
C2 ~ 90 UMS [A boundary ~58/75]
S1 ~ 90 UMS [A boundary ~59/75]

Physics - maybe an A :s-smilie:
Paper 1 (A) ~60/70 raw marks (86%)
[A boundary ~54/70]
Paper 2 (A/B) ~42/70 raw marks (60%) <- this is just a guess. but it went so badly that I cried about it for a good few days :frown:
[predicting A boundary ~45/70]

Chemistry - confident for an A :smile:
Paper 1 (A) ~ 65/80 raw marks (81%)
[A boundary ~56/80]
Paper 2 (A) ~ 70/80 raw marks (88%)
[A boundary ~60/80]

I wish there was UMS for the new A levels.
I know AS doesn't count but at least UMS will look nicer than raw mark percentages lol

I think I'm going to need someone to say this to me all the time during the run up to results day.

Roll on tomorrow for some serious, hardcore M2 practice.
I'm going to relax tonight and get up early tomorrow.
I'm not going to school tomorrow or Thursday so I need to get lots done!!!
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending