Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I WILL NOT GIVE UP - AAAA (Maths, FM, Physics, Chem) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by speed1✈️✈️)
    Yeah I get you. I guess I was just a bit high and complacent in the exam hall that day lol. After the shock of g481 I was totally terrified and focused on smashing g482. Unfortunately it clashed with another exam so I couldn't do as well as I should have. I got a low A in that unit - it was also a very tough paper imo.
    I guess if I was slightly more scared and alert like I was for g482 I wouldn't have made so many rediculous errors and would have done better. :/
    With physics(and particularly OCR) the questions themselves rely on basic content. However the question just over complicates things!!! You just need to get into zen mode and pick the questions apart.

I realised after my results that if i had been a little more confident I'd probably have done a lot better!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by speed1✈️✈️)
    Hi there, you seem to be in a similar position to me. I did okay in AS maths (89ums), but I got a mid B in OCR Physics, failed mechanics - got a D in that unit. Ouch. I don't know what happened as I felt prepared having done all past papers on spec to nearly full ums. Ironically I got 93ums in M1 Maths.
    How do I sort out that crappy score in mechanics?
    Get into the habit of drawing diagrams, and make sure you practice a lot - maths is quite similar to languages in a way, in that the more you do it the more fluent you get at using and manipulating the data given into a form you can solve

ReputationRep:
    28/04/16 - It has been a while... 20 DAYS

What have I done in the past 16 days since my last update...
    Lots of procrastination but little chunks of lots of revision.

CHEMISTRY - most enjoyable to revise
    Set 2 specimen paper mark: 48/80 - 60% - grade C or grade B with my teacher's grade boundaries.
    Thoughts - no emotion, I really wanted an A in it as I found the old spec papers pretty straight forward.
    Achieved the highest in the class though which I guess accounts for my no emotions.

What went wrong... That paper definitely highlighted my weaknesses in my understanding of chemistry.
    I need to work on moles, Hess's Law and knowing my practicals well.
    Little mistakes also caught me out which is rather annoying but hey ho, all part of the learning curve.

In terms of revision notes, I am planning to rewrite them again really nicely because I recently bought a set of Moleskine Cahier notebooks. It should only take me a day in the library so why not.
    I should really be focusing on doing more past papers but I will worry about that next week.

PHYSICS - pushing it back
    Made notes from the CGP revision guide and it is actually quite good!
    I plan to also rewrite and condense which should take me no more than 1 or 2 days.
    I am doing well in class and in all the tests I have done but we haven't tried any specimen papers under timed conditions. I really hope I do well in them because I need a confidence boost for these exams.
    I haven't started past papers for physics properly yet so I will start them fully next week.
    I promise. I have to. Time is running out.

MATHS - pretty chilled about it
    I find it relatively easy in lessons when we go through papers
    We have finished S1 but I plan to leave revision for that until May half term as my exam is right after it.

Right now I need to prioritise science.

FURTHER MATHS - the weird one
    I really need to do wayyy more practice but since these are my last few exams, it is going to be neglected until may half term. I am most worried about M2 but then again I haven't started any papers for that yet or even finished learning it.

Right now I am trying to get some pieces of homework done. I think this quote just sums me up.

I wish I had the confidence and brains to just not worry about a thing and just walk into these exams like its nothing.
    I can just feel my slight "Atelophobia" slowly creeping up on me as we get closer towards exam-time. At least it will give me motivation.

Trips to the library on the weekends are now going to be a regular thing for me. It makes me get up early rather than waking up normally at around 12. I can do this, from this weekend and onwards I will try to do as much productive work as I can.

ReputationRep:
    04/05/16 - I'm "sick" (Bunking off school for a day)
    Isn't it great when you don't have study leave.

As I have mentioned before, school is very demotivating for me.
    I come home from school, have dinner, procrastinate badly then do any homework due in for the next day and then its time for bed.

Today I decided to stay off and actually do something productive considering exams are so close by. I managed to get the library early in the morning at around 9am and worked solidly until 11am.
    I condensed my physics notes and then took a break by going off into town to do some shopping.
    It doesn't seem much but its more than if I had went into school today.

And of course it was stationary shopping to make me motivated
    I bought a squared paper Moleskine from Paperchase and a artist journal from Cass Art.
    Yes the art journal was an impulse buy lol I don't even have time to draw anymore - BUT IT WAS SO BEAUTIFUL.
    Then I went home because my feet were killing me from wandering around WHSmith, two Paperchases, John Lewis (actually great for nice but expensive stationary and Waterstones.

Look at how attractive my mess is I organised it just for this blog lol
    Excuse the Beef Hula hoops. This isn't very motivating at all looking at this but this is a little peak into my usual workspace right now. It is probably reason why I go to the library nowadays quite cramped.

Now I am sat on the sofa downstairs typing this up because I need to start updating more regularly.
    But to be fair my life isn't very exciting now.
    My revision ways haven't changed much, mainly just writing writing and writing on nice little notebooks.
    I shall record myself saying my notes one day just not now - I can't bare the thought of listening to my own voice but I have to try it. Maybe the week before my first exam I will start that.

But currently I like rewriting my notes even though I don't really need to.
    I promise tonight I will do two physics and chemistry past papers!!!!

------------------------
    Motivation level right now on the scale of 1-10: 7/8
    Motivation level if I went into school today: 3/4
    lol I have made the right choice. I feel so much more happier and the rather expensive purchases I have made.
    Happiness, motivation and a bit of optimism is what I am feeling right now. It is amazing what a day off school can do to you. If only I had two weeks off...
    ---------------------------------

A summary of resources I have used & my thoughts

Collins AQA AS Physics & Chemistry textbooks - they come with answers for everything in a word document plus answers in the back the of book. Its decent better than the Oxford textbooks imo. Or maybe I am a sucker for the nice layout it has.
    CGP AQA AS Physics revision guide - if you don't mind the silly jokes and the ugly layout (imo) its decent
    No answers for the practice questions only for their exam questions.
    Hodder Education AQA Workbooks - thin and probably not worth the money you have to pay for them but the practice questions are pretty good. I have yet to fully complete them as I to plan to save these right before the exams.

Chemguide.co.uk - for understanding its so good!

Calculations for A level Chemistry - 4th Edition by E.N.Ramsden - brilliant
    I love this book, it has some rather challenging questions but once you've completed a chapter you feel as if you know what you are doing. If you put in the time to do a lot of the questions in the book I am sure it will prepare you for anything nasty that may come up. It has synoptic questions which is rather nice as it brings together a few techniques into a long question. It also has exam questions from around 1999 which is interesting and definitely very helpful. The calculation questions in this book are far more challenging than questions in past papers so its very useful indeed.

Advanced Physics 2nd Edition & Advanced Chemistry 2nd Edition -
    Expensive but contains waaaay too much information, perfect for reading around and just general heavy reading
    I haven't used these very much as it has a lot of stuff and I don't really have time to sit down and read the relevant chapters (covers all quite a few exam boards) but whenever I do dig into it to add to my notes for a particular topic, its brilliant.

AQA Oxford Physics & Chemistry textbooks -
    Most schools will use this and its alright but I just don't like using it for some reason.

Videos -
    examsolutions - x2 the speed and its great
    E Rintoul - not my favourite but everyone else seems to love him
    Jack Brown - quick little videos for maths, brilliant
    I have watched stuff from a fair few more but videos tbf aren't my thing. Occasionally before I go to bed I'll watch an odd one or two so I don't feel guilty not doing any work for that particular day.

I didn't know you had one of these! :woo:
    Wow! You are working really hard! :congrats: You can totally ace these exams with the amount of effort you put in!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pentaquark)
    04/05/16 - I'm "sick" (Bunking off school for a day)
    Isn't it great when you don't have study leave.

As I have mentioned before, school is very demotivating for me.
    I come home from school, have dinner, procrastinate badly then do any homework due in for the next day and then its time for bed.

Today I decided to stay off and actually do something productive considering exams are so close by.
    I managed to get the library early in the morning at around 9am and worked solidly until 11am.
    I condensed my physics notes and then took a break by going off into town to do some shopping.
    It doesn't seem much but its more than if I had went into school today.

And of course it was stationary shopping to make me motivated
    I bought a squared paper Moleskine from Paperchase and a artist journal from Cass Art.
    Yes the art journal was an impulse buy lol I don't even have time to draw anymore - BUT IT WAS SO BEAUTIFUL.
    Then I went home because my feet were killing me from wandering around WHSmith, two Paperchases, John Lewis (actually great for nice but expensive stationary and Waterstones.

Look at how attractive my mess is I organised it just for this blog lol
    Excuse the Beef Hula hoops. This isn't very motivating at all looking at this but this is a little peak into my usual workspace right now. It is probably reason why I go to the library now quite cramped.

Now I am sat on the sofa downstairs typing this up because I need to start updating more regularly.
    But to be fair my life isn't very exciting now.
    My revision ways haven't changed much, mainly just writing writing and writing on nice little notebooks.
    I shall record myself saying my notes one day just not now - I can't bare the thought of listening to my own voice but I have to try it. Maybe the week before my first exam I will start that.

But currently I like rewriting my notes even though I don't really need to.
    I promise tonight I will do two physics and chemistry past papers!!!!

------------------------
    Motivation level right now on the scale of 1-10: 7/8
    Motivation level if I went into school today: 3/4
    lol I have made the right choice. I feel so much more happier and the rather expensive purchases I have made.
    Happiness, motivation and a bit of optimism is what I am feeling right now. It is amazing what a day off school can do to you. If only I had two weeks off...
    ---------------------------------

A summary of resources I have used & my thoughts

Collins AQA AS Physics & Chemistry textbooks - they come with answers for everything in a word document plus answers in the back the of book.
    CGP AQA AS Physics revision guide - if you don't mind the silly jokes and the ugly layout (imo) its decent
    No answers for the practice questions only for their exam questions.
    Hodder Education AQA Workbooks - thin and probably not worth the money you have to pay for them but the practice questions are pretty good. I have yet to fully complete them as I to plan to save these right before the exams.

Chemguide.co.uk - for understanding

Calculations for A level Chemistry - 4th Edition by E.N.Ramsden - brilliant
    I love this book, it has some rather challenging questions but once you've completed a chapter you feel as if you know what you are doing. If you put in the time to do a lot of the questions in the book I am sure it will prepare you for anything nasty that may come up. It has synoptic questions which is rather nice as it brings together a few techniques into a long question. It also has exam questions from around 1999 which is interesting and definitely very helpful. The calculation questions in this book are far more challenging than questions in past papers so its very useful indeed.

Advanced Physics 2nd Edition & Advanced Chemistry 2nd Edition -
    Expensive but contains waaaay too much information, perfect for reading around and just general heavy reading
    I haven't used these very much as it has a lot of stuff and I don't really have time to sit down and read the relevant chapters (covers all quite a few exam boards) but whenever I do dig into it to add to my notes for a particular topic, its brilliant.

AQA Oxford Physics & Chemistry textbooks -
    Most schools will use this and its alright but I just don't like using it for some reason.

Videos -
    examsolutions - x2 the speed and its great
    E Rintoul - not my favourite but everyone else seems to love him
    Jack Brown - quick little videos for maths, brilliant
    I have watched stuff from a fair few more but videos tbf aren't my thing. Maybe before I go to bed I'll watch an odd one or two so I don't feel guilty not doing any work for that particular day.
    Not enough pens imo

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    Not enough pens imo
    I have more, those are just my recent purchases
    I like them a lot. They are erasable!!!! So my lovely notebooks will have lovely neat notes.

ReputationRep:
    I have more, those are just my recent purchases
    I like them a lot. They are erasable!!!! So my lovely notebooks will have lovely neat notes.
    I have some as well, but only because it was cheaper to get the black ones as part of the collection thing than to buy them separately lol

ReputationRep:
    Update for today 04/05/16
    I am so tired but forced myself to do Jan 2010 PHYA1. It is probably not the best idea to force yourself to do a paper when you are extremely tired. I have no idea why I am really tired, probably a sugar crash or something.
    It wasn't under exam conditions obviously and I did watch quite a few cute dog videos in between questions lying in bed.

Anyway I did okay in it and done nearly all the questions on my whiteboard with the 6 marker on paper.

As you can tell with the messy scribbles I am pretty tired but I promised I would get some past papers done today!
    I shall update with the rest tonight. Hopefully taking a shower will reinvigorate me

If you can't see I managed to get 58/65 (didn't do Q7 as it was about alternating current which isn't on the new spec) so 89% meh. lol ignore the UMS conversion I didn't take into account that it was out of 65 instead of the usual 75.

ReputationRep:
    06/05/16 - Perspective

12 days till C1 and 18 days till Physics paper 1. I am not too worried about C1 so I should really count down until my physics exam.
    Hopefully I'll drop no more than 2 marks in C1 and that should give me a nice boost for the rest of my exams.

What am I doing now?
    Lying in bed with just my phone, earphones, Collins AS chemistry textbook, a few specimen papers and the AQA chemistry practical handbook, along with my notebook and pens - hoping that I'll do something productive today.

What will I try to finish today?
    Attempt to make notes on one required practical.
    I'm rather tired and feeling very demotivated.
    so I'll probably end up doing only a page worth of work.

I have to get up early tomorrow anyway to go to a University (an hour and a half hour away by train) with a friend for a chemistry revision day. I can't wait to listen to a new perspective on AS chemistry instead of listening to the same old things from my teacher.
    -
    Now speaking about the word 'perspective', this means quite a lot to me. Especially after some overheard nasty comments and hearing about stuff said behind my back.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    For example today someone told me to F off when I said it was easier to factorise the quadratic via trial and error vs the ac method. obviously they said it quietly but I could hear it as I was sat behind them.
    lol even the teacher disagreed with me and was actually surprised that I could come up with the numbers, with the tone of slight disbelief. And them sniggering really irked me.

I don't know if whether I have mentioned this before, but when I went on the Cambridge University Shadowing Scheme, I had been assigned a wonderful mentor called Daniella.

I had a great time as it was my first experience of real university life. I went with her to lectures and I also experienced a supervision which was absolutely brilliant.
    She answered all my questions about university and well, life in general.

But there is one thing that stuck to me the most, and that was about keeping perspective.
    Always think that there is someone else out there in a much worst position than yourself.
    Never doubt yourself and your abilities.

Now its easier said than done.
    However today I had a much needed stare into nothing but silence moment for around 10 minutes. It was really nice to just block everything out and contemplate on my life.
    Lol it sounds weird but its nice to do it every now and again. It helped me gain some sort of perspective.

Anyway a little random note to myself

ReputationRep:
    06/05/16 - Perspective

12 days till C1 and 18 days till Physics paper 1. I am not too worried about C1 so I should really count down until my physics exam.
    Hopefully I'll drop no more than 2 marks in C1 and that should give me a nice boost for the rest of my exams.

What am I doing now?
    Lying in bed with just my phone, earphones, Collins AS chemistry textbook, a few specimen papers and the AQA chemistry practical handbook, along with my notebook and pens - hoping that I'll do something productive today.

What will I try to finish today?
    Attempt to make notes on one required practical.
    I'm rather tired and feeling very demotivated.
    so I'll probably end up doing only a page worth of work.

I have to get up early tomorrow anyway to go to a University (an hour and a half hour away by train) with a friend for a chemistry revision day. I can't wait to listen to a new perspective on AS chemistry instead of listening to the same old things from my teacher.
    -
    Now speaking about the word 'perspective', this means quite a lot to me. Especially after some overheard nasty comments and hearing about stuff said behind my back.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    For example today someone told me to F off when I said it was easier to factorise the quadratic via trial and error vs the ac method. obviously they said it quietly but I could hear it as I was sat behind them.
    lol even the teacher disagreed with me and was actually surprised that I could come up with the numbers, with the tone of slight disbelief. And them sniggering really irked me.
    I don't know if whether I have mentioned this before, but when I went on the Cambridge University Shadowing Scheme, I had been assigned a wonderful mentor called Daniella.

I had a great time as it was my first experience of real university life. I went with her to lectures and I also experienced a supervision which was absolutely brilliant.
    She answered all my questions about university and well, life in general.

But there is one thing that stuck to me the most, and that was about keeping perspective.
    Always think that there is someone else out there in a much worst position than yourself.
    Never doubt yourself and your abilities.

Now its easier said than done.
    However today I had a much needed stare into nothing but silence moment for around 10 minutes. It was really nice to just block everything out and contemplate on my life.
    Lol it sounds weird but its nice to do it every now and again. It helped me gain some sort of perspective.

Anyway a little random note to myself
    Are you going to the Lancaster university AS chemistry revision thing? If so, then I'll see you there!

ReputationRep:
    I WILL NOT GIVE UP.

My AS level journey to 4As in Maths, Further Maths, Physics & Chemistry...
    (Aiming for 85%+ in further maths - I had to force my way into doing it because my school doesn't teach it. With only a few hours a week worth of further maths lessons if I achieve this I’d be so proud of myself! )

Background info
    GCSEs – 10A*s (highest in school - comprehensive)
    What motivated me for my GCSEs
    In year 9 I got the feeling that my maths and some science teachers thought I was hopeless.
    Moments that made me realise that you can achieve anything you set your mind on...
    When my chemistry teacher accused me of cheating and when I scored the lowest in my maths set.
    Don't let anyone get you down! I managed to get the highest in the year in GCSE maths (86%) considering only a few scraped an A*.

Career aspirations – I just want to discover things that no one else has discovered.
    University courses - Stuck between understanding the universe and the world around us with physics, making cool stuff with material science or create drugs with chemistry.

Aspirational goals: Hoping to get 90% UMS in Maths & Further Maths

DREAM GOAL: 80% raw marks in new spec chemistry & physics.

My main source of motivation
    Don’t let the teachers down or myself down & make my parents really proud!
    Music, tea and a homework-free mind is all I need to get into the productive mood.

I’d be so happy if I managed to get AAAA.
    I believe that hard work and sheer dedication can get you anywhere!

My main aim is that I want this to (possibly) inspire others and obviously motivate me to do some work every day.
    It will also be a little place to share new things that I have learnt.
    Just a little note…
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I have high expectations for myself so I won’t be happy with anything less than AAAA – ridiculous I know but that is the truth, say if I got AAAB it would annoy me so much. Even though it is pretty damn good I won’t be truly happy with myself.

My December mock results
    AABC
    A – Maths (near full raw marks), A – further maths (full raw marks)
    B – Physics (77% raw marks) ok-ish – need to work on electricity
    C – Chemistry (69% raw marks) highest in the class but plenty of annoying mistakes

My March projected grades
    AAAB
    B in further maths - teacher doesn't want to be too ambitious seeing as I don't have proper lessons for it.
    --------------
    Exam boards and maths modules…
    AQA Maths AS modules – C1, C2, S1
    AQA Further Maths AS modules – FP1, M1, M2
    AQA Physics & Chemistry AS
    THE GRAND PLAN
    (numbered in order of priority) - I probably won’t stick to it but we will see...
    (Green = done/in process of doing, Red= need to do/start)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    February - self teach as we are going far too slow in school. Write notes from all my textbooks and type them all up (so much effort but it will be worth it). The condensing stage is where I start focusing on understanding the content fully.

Chemistry – finish notes and condense.
    Physics – type compiled notes and condense.
    Further Maths – start M1 past papers and learning M2.
    Maths – start old AQA C1 past papers

March – past paper time for maths

Physics – focus on electricity and waves
    Further Maths – do all the questions from FP1 textbook before past papers
    Chemistry – make mind maps and write stuff out loads so it’s etched into my head
    Maths – should have finished C2 by now in school, if not self-teach and start papers

April – past paper time for everything

SELF TEACH S1 BECAUSE SCHOOL IS TOO SLOW
    SOLOMON PAPERS FOR MATHS AND FURTHER MATHS
    DO ALL THE EDEXCEL MATHS PAPERS ATTEMPT SOME OCR MEI M1/M2 QUESTIONS
    OLD AQA AND OCR A & B & EDEXCEL CHEM AND PHYSICS PAST PAPERS

May – I should know everything by now like the back of my hand

AQA PHYSICS AND CHEMISTRY PAPERS – should be hitting 80% raw marks.
    AQA M1, M2, FP1 PAPERS – should be hitting 90% raw marks.

CRY BECAUSE EXAMS ARE SO CLOSE.
    START HAVING BREAKFAST EVERYDAY.
    HAVE A MINI BREAKDOWN.
    ANNOY FRIENDS AND TEACHERS WITH REVISION AND QUESTIONS.

June – contemplate about my future

I think I'd be probably depressed at this point because exams have went badly.
    Stalk unofficial mark schemes on tsr and make myself even more worried and depressed.
    Last exam is M2 – cry again because nearly everyone in my year would have finished like a week or two ago.
    DO AS MANY M2 PAPERS AS I CAN TWICE WITH FULL RAW MARKS ON THE SECOND TIME ROUND.
    It is good to see such motivated learners. Surely you can inspire others.Good wishes for your endeavour.

ReputationRep:
    It is good to see that you are motivated. Good luck for your future examination

ReputationRep:
    8/05/16 - meh

Read through and made a few notes on a measurement and errors booklet today. Percentage uncertainties
    are slowly making sense to me.
    This took around 2 hours whilst going on my phone quite a lot.

This reminds me that I need to do practical notes for physics ew.

Revised organic chem pretty quickly as I know all the mechanisms well already.
    Just brushed up on a few bits like naming nitriles and amines. This did not take long and I condensed the mechanisms into another notebook using up 2 pages in total.
    Probably around 2 hours this took.

Including looking at mark schemes and checking my answers for the questions I completed during the chemistry revision day yesterday. Plus doing additional questions I didn't have time to finish during the chemistry revision day.

Yes 2 hours is pretty quick for me as I usually procrastinate loads and usually it would have took me half a day lol

In total roughly 4 hours worth of work. Not including breaks.

Got bored for the rest of the day and decided to do Ex5A in the chapter Circular Motion in AQA M2 textbook whilst watching some TV.
    Managed to finish it within an hour.

I would not call today particularly productive imo. I have homework due in tomorrow but Ill do that tomorrow.

I could have done 5 past papers today I promise I will do a lot of papers next week. Especially because I have specimen tests next week for chem (paper 2) and physics (paper 1).

ReputationRep:
    17/05/16 - It is time.
    Apologies again for not updating regularly but quality>quantity

First exam is AQA Maths C1 tomorrow. Have I had a breakdown yet? No. Have I cried yet? No.
    Thoughts and feelings right now - nervousness
    I can't believe it is actually happening. I remember the day I set up this thread and I still have a lot to do on my "grand plan".

My parents always say to me that all I need to do is remain calm - it is easier said than done!

I remember my first ever exam in year (Core science) and I panicked so much, having a little brain freeze whilst doing the paper. Yes I did get an A* in the end but that is only because I made up for it in paper 2. From then on I never really had those sort of problems as I would always prepared myself mentally before an exam.

To prepare myself mentally I would look through as many questions as I can for that particular exam (and not necessarily do them) and go through the mark schemes.
    lol if I don't do anything it will just make me more worried.
    And no I don't go to bed early before an exam, I go to bed at around 12 like normal. Why?
    I feel as if I am wasting precious time if I go to bed early. Everyone is different and all that. I will have breakfast and get up early though!

For most people preparing yourself mentally to remain calm before an exam means just going through a few things and getting to bed early but I done that before my first exam,and well, lets say I am scarred after that experience.

Binge revision is great even if I don't necessarily need to do it.
    Whilst a lot of the revision I do now will not necessarily help me for my exams, it helps me feel prepared which is the most important thing IMO.

ITS C1 TOMORROW AND AM I PREPARED? I BLOODY SHOULD BE.
    I want full marks tomorrow. If I don't get it then I will be pretty annoyed.
    A part of me wants the paper to be solid tomorrow as the grade boundaries for full UMS will be lower but then again I've got to get those marks lol

AQA past C1 papers are fairly straightforward and I find them dare I say pretty easy. Consistently I hit around 73-74 marks so I'd be pretty pissed if I get anything less.

WHAT PREPARATION HAVE I DONE ON MY OWN RECENTLY?
    Apart from doing a million papers in class, the other day I also looked through a few solomon papers (A to E). So I haven't done them properly.
    But I read every question and said out loud what I had to do in order to answer the question. Then I'd check the mark scheme to check if I was right and for the most part I was.

IMO I think just going through Solomons is more helpful than doing an old AQA past paper as I also revise a bit of C2 along the way since it is Edexcel Solomon papers (some topics from Edexcel C1 are in AQA C2).

Efficiency is key imo, I don't see the point in spending a few hours doing questions I know how to do.
    AQA past papers are very repetitive and you could literally learn how to do questions from doing them.

HOWEVER TOMORROW MORNING I WILL DO ONE OR MAYBE TWO PAST PAPERS
    TO GET INTO "MATHS MODE".
    I haven't decided what papers to do, I may make my own papers or just do 2015 C1 again.

ANYWAY GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE WHO IS READING MY THREAD AND HAS EXAMS.
    I will update tomorrow as well! And my progress in my other subjects.

ReputationRep:
    I WILL NOT GIVE UP.

My AS level journey to 4As in Maths, Further Maths, Physics & Chemistry...
    (Aiming for 85%+ in further maths - I had to force my way into doing it because my school doesn't teach it. With only a few hours a week worth of further maths lessons if I achieve this I’d be so proud of myself! )

Background info
    GCSEs – 10A*s (highest in school - comprehensive)
    What motivated me for my GCSEs
    In year 9 I got the feeling that my maths and some science teachers thought I was hopeless.
    Moments that made me realise that you can achieve anything you set your mind on...
    When my chemistry teacher accused me of cheating and when I scored the lowest in my maths set.
    Don't let anyone get you down! I managed to get the highest in the year in GCSE maths (86%) considering only a few scraped an A*.

Career aspirations – I just want to discover things that no one else has discovered.
    University courses - Stuck between understanding the universe and the world around us with physics, making cool stuff with material science or create drugs with chemistry.

Aspirational goals: Hoping to get 90% UMS in Maths & Further Maths

DREAM GOAL: 80% raw marks in new spec chemistry & physics.

My main source of motivation
    Don’t let the teachers down or myself down & make my parents really proud!
    Music, tea and a homework-free mind is all I need to get into the productive mood.

I’d be so happy if I managed to get AAAA.
    I believe that hard work and sheer dedication can get you anywhere!

My main aim is that I want this to (possibly) inspire others and obviously motivate me to do some work every day.
    It will also be a little place to share new things that I have learnt.
    Just a little note…
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I have high expectations for myself so I won’t be happy with anything less than AAAA – ridiculous I know but that is the truth, say if I got AAAB it would annoy me so much. Even though it is pretty damn good I won’t be truly happy with myself.

My December mock results
    AABC
    A – Maths (near full raw marks), A – further maths (full raw marks)
    B – Physics (77% raw marks) ok-ish – need to work on electricity
    C – Chemistry (69% raw marks) highest in the class but plenty of annoying mistakes

My March projected grades
    AAAB
    B in further maths - teacher doesn't want to be too ambitious seeing as I don't have proper lessons for it.
    --------------
    Exam boards and maths modules…
    AQA Maths AS modules – C1, C2, S1
    AQA Further Maths AS modules – FP1, M1, M2
    AQA Physics & Chemistry AS
    THE GRAND PLAN
    (numbered in order of priority) - I probably won’t stick to it but we will see...
    (Green = done/in process of doing, Red= need to do/start)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    February - self teach as we are going far too slow in school. Write notes from all my textbooks and type them all up (so much effort but it will be worth it). The condensing stage is where I start focusing on understanding the content fully.

Chemistry – finish notes and condense.
    Physics – type compiled notes and condense.
    Further Maths – start M1 past papers and learning M2.
    Maths – start old AQA C1 past papers

March – past paper time for maths

Physics – focus on electricity and waves
    Further Maths – do all the questions from FP1 textbook before past papers
    Chemistry – make mind maps and write stuff out loads so it’s etched into my head
    Maths – should have finished C2 by now in school, if not self-teach and start papers

April – past paper time for everything

SELF TEACH S1 BECAUSE SCHOOL IS TOO SLOW
    SOLOMON PAPERS FOR MATHS AND FURTHER MATHS
    DO ALL THE EDEXCEL MATHS PAPERS ATTEMPT SOME OCR MEI M1/M2 QUESTIONS
    OLD AQA AND OCR A & B & EDEXCEL CHEM AND PHYSICS PAST PAPERS

May – I should know everything by now like the back of my hand

AQA PHYSICS AND CHEMISTRY PAPERS – should be hitting 80% raw marks.
    AQA M1, M2, FP1 PAPERS – should be hitting 90% raw marks.

CRY BECAUSE EXAMS ARE SO CLOSE.
    START HAVING BREAKFAST EVERYDAY.
    HAVE A MINI BREAKDOWN.
    ANNOY FRIENDS AND TEACHERS WITH REVISION AND QUESTIONS.

June – contemplate about my future

I think I'd be probably depressed at this point because exams have went badly.
    Stalk unofficial mark schemes on tsr and make myself even more worried and depressed.
    Last exam is M2 – cry again because nearly everyone in my year would have finished like a week or two ago.
    DO AS MANY M2 PAPERS AS I CAN TWICE WITH FULL RAW MARKS ON THE SECOND TIME ROUND.
    I appreciate your positive energy!! I finally found someone like me!! It doesn't matter what motivates you, if it makes you want to strive forward then you do it! Nothing's impossible! I feel like everyone around me is draining my energy, how do you manage to keep your spirits so high? ^.^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheNerdxP)
    I appreciate your positive energy!! I finally found someone like me!! It doesn't matter what motivates you, if it makes you want to strive forward then you do it! Nothing's impossible! I feel like everyone around me is draining my energy, how do you manage to keep your spirits so high? ^.^
    Thank you!
    I don't always manage to keep my spirits high, but the one thing I always do is never lose sight of the end goal. That, and having people telling me that I will be alright is what helps me keep going. I don't know what I'd do without that. I need support, I need someone to say to me that I will do fine. When someone believes in you, when someone is confident that you will do well - it is just so comforting for me. I rely on people making me feel better tbf even though I keep a lot to myself.
    If you read a lot of my posts I don't always feel positive and if you met me in real life I complain so much. Although I always seem happy according to my friends. And I make them happy.

I am glad you appreciate the positive energy

ReputationRep:
    Thank you!
    I don't always manage to keep my spirits high, but the one thing I always do is never lose sight of the end goal. That, and having people telling me that I will be alright is what helps me keep going. I don't know what I'd do without that. I need support, I need someone to say to me that I will do fine. When someone believes in you, when someone is confident that you will do well - it is just so comforting for me. I rely on people making me feel better tbf even though I keep a lot to myself.
    If you read a lot of my posts I don't always feel positive and if you met me in real life I complain so much. Although I always seem happy according to my friends. And I make them happy.

I am glad you appreciate the positive energy
    It's a wonderful quality to have in life, probably one of the best! If you just keep sight of your dream even in tough situations it'll allow you to break though. It's really refreshing to me, since all of my friends come to me for advice and can be quite negative which of course I don't dislike because they're my friends and I love to help them but it's good to see people that clearly have a purpose! For example, my goal is to get to Cambridge University and I will stop at nothing to get there, I don't know why particularly Cambridge but I've loved it there ever since Year 7 when I saw the boat races. Don't let that quality go! and just be careful because people may be jealous and try to take it away from you so don't rely on them too much, but along as you rely on yourself and those close to you you'll be absolutely fine!

ReputationRep:
    18/05/16 - demotivated again

You'd think after my first exam, I would want to revise my arse off for the rest of my exams.
    I think I am going to need a brutal exam to kick me up the bum and make me turn into an exam robot.
    Right now I just feel like I won't achieve as highly as I expect.
    I want to do myself justice, I don't just want high marks - I want the best marks I think I am capable of getting.

Reaction after my first exam (Maths - C1)
    Pretty disappointed. The questions themselves were standard and there was nothing out of the ordinary.
    Although some people in my class will beg to differ. Lets say I saw quite a few crying/looking upset after that exam.
    The only difference with this paper vs previous papers was that the numbers were horrible.
    I don't know whether that was just the pressure but honestly I working until the last minute.

I had no time to check my answers which has annoyed me so much.

Normally I finish within an hour tops but this paper had such horrible fractions and well I rely on calculators far too much.
    Not a nice paper in the way that a lot of mistakes can be made due to poor arithmetic.
    Probably 62 for an A although some people in my class would say it was 56/58 <- yeah right I wish.
    If it was 56 for an A then I'd probably get my full UMS lol

My predicted mark/grade/UMS: 71 out of 75/ A /96 UMS
    Thoughts - just disappointment.
    I find maths pretty easy in class and in all the past papers I have done I always get near full raw marks, sometimes full marks.
    Clearly the pressure has got to me and I can't work out simple fractions.

I have lost a few marks for messing up my subtraction sign in working out the area under a curve.
    The actual integral between limits is fine but plugging in those numbers gave me some horrid fractions.
    I also may have lost a mark in forgetting to put three linear factors. I think I left it as (x-a)(quadratic) without factorising the quadratic.

Fair enough being good at arithmetic under pressure is a good quality to have but I'd rather have questions that test your understanding of maths. That means even lower grade boundaries.
    lol sorry I'm just annoyed. I'll probably look at the paper next year when it is released and just think how on earth did I struggle with the simple arithmetic.

What have I learnt from that experience?
    Hahahahaha not take my time to do the paper. I literally had no time to check my paper.
    I like to try and finish papers quickly and naturally I do finish them pretty quickly.
    What I mean by taking my time - writing waaaay too much working out.

My maths teachers always tell me to take my time and not rush (when I am not even rushing lol) as they want me to get full marks. But I think going through things quickly with minimal working out and having time to check/expand on working is a far better strategy. I need time to check.
    My best exams are the ones that I finish early and have time to check.
    (Ok I am lying a bit there, my best exams in GCSE were in English Language, Literature and Spanish haha and I just wrote as much BS as I could within the time allocated)

What shall I do today?
    Watch some football & then go to bed.
    I cannot be bothered. I am just not in the mood to do work which is surprising as I would have thought that this exam would give me a boost. I'm just tired I think. I went to bed at 02:30am yesterday, if I can survive a maths exam on only 4 hours sleep I am sure I can cope with hell next week.

What exams do I have coming up?
    Physics next Tuesday
    C2 next Wednesday
    Chemistry next Friday
    Dreading them all equally.

Progress in terms of specimen papers
    Chemistry 2014 specimen set 1? (not online) paper 1 - 86% (A)
    Chemistry 2014 specimen set 1? (not online) paper 2 - ??

Chemistry set 2 specimen paper 1 - 60% 48/80 (C)
    Chemistry set 2 specimen paper 2 - 79% () 63/80 (B)

Physics set 2 specimen paper 1 - 66% 46/70 (C)
    Physics set 2 specimen paper 2 - probably ~52/70

Physics set 1 specimen paper 1 - ?
    Physics set 1 specimen paper 2 - 76% (B) 53/70

Now these are with grade boundaries of 80% for an A, 70% for a B and 60% for a C.
    My teachers think an A on these papers are around 70%-65%

ReputationRep:
    30/05/16 - Apologies again...
    I haven't updated for a while again. Its those god damn exams
    I am just going to dive straight into all the exams I have done so far. Lets hope my predictions are right tbf I think my predictions are rather optimistic.

Tuesday 24th May - AQA Physics (new spec) paper 1 (A) ~60/70 (86%)
    Dropped ~10 marks :/ Meh. Grade boundaries for an A will be probably ~52/70 (74%)
    Exam was a lot easier than the specimens. Found it okay but annoyed at all the things I've got wrong.
    Fingers crossed paper 2 will be a bit better.

Preparation - making loads of notes.
    I didn't bother with past papers.
    They don't help much.
    Maybe I should do past papers for paper 2.

Wednesday 25th May - AQA C2 (A) ~65/75 (87%) ~90UMS
    Dropped ~10 marks Disappointed. I don't know what to say other than I hope I smash S1 lol
    Grade boundaries for an A I think will be ~56/75 (75%)
    In terms of revision for it outside of class - I read through quite a few of the AQA C2 papers the night before the exam.

I don't see the point in actually doing papers the night before but maybe I should have done that.
    To be fair if I had actually done them I doubt it would have made any difference lol

Friday 27th May - AQA Chemistry (new spec) paper 1 (A) ~68/80 (85%)
    Dropped ~12 marks I actually felt rather good after the exam. Hopefully the multiple choice has went well. I think I have only dropped ~5 marks on multiple choice lol idek.
    I think for an A it will be ~60/80 (75%)

Preparation - didn't bother with past papers again.
    Just made notes from textbook and basically just making sure everything is stuck in my head.

I JUST WANT 90% IN SOMETHING OK. (and no c1 doesn't count )

What did I do last weekend?
    Basically chill because I have now a week to get myself sorted out for further maths and stats. lol May half term = study leave now
    I tried to do some chem revision on Saturday but lets say it failed.
    I won't count that as work because I ended up sleeping on my textbook. Severe procrastination occurred on that day.
    And tbf I don't really need to do revision for chemistry lol my brain is trying to avoid stats.

BUT ANYWAY ITS MONDAY TODAY OMG. AND THERE IS NO SCHOOL. YAY
    I made stats notes today because I have none. I used to have some (work I done during class) then I binned them because during my stats lessons i don't really give a crap, so they are a bit iffy and I chucked them out ages ago.

Am I looking forward to the rest of my exams?
    Wednesday 8th June - AQA S1
    meh, if i get 100UMS (imagine!) it will bring up my average for AS maths :3
    Thursday 9th June - AQA Physics (new spec) paper 2
    just need to revise my practicals and this time do plenty of past papers
    Friday 10th June - AQA Chemistry (new spec) paper 2
    just need to revise my practicals

-Not looking forward to these exams...-
    Wednesday 15th June - AQA FP1
    Tuesday 21st June - AQA M1
    Monday 27th June - AQA M2

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.