Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I WILL NOT GIVE UP - AAAA (Maths, FM, Physics, Chem) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pentaquark)
    30/05/16 - Apologies again...
    I haven't updated for a while again. Its those god damn exams
    I am just going to dive straight into all the exams I have done so far. Lets hope my predictions are right tbf I think my predictions are rather optimistic.

Tuesday 24th May - AQA Physics (new spec) paper 1 (A) ~60/70 (86%)
    Dropped ~10 marks :/ Meh. Grade boundaries for an A will be probably ~52/70 (74%)
    Exam was a lot easier than the specimens. Found it okay but annoyed at all the things I've got wrong.
    Fingers crossed paper 2 will be a bit better.

Preparation - making loads of notes.
    I didn't bother with past papers.
    They don't help much.
    Maybe I should do past papers for paper 2.

Wednesday 25th May - AQA C2 (A) ~65/75 (87%) ~90UMS
    Dropped ~10 marks Disappointed. I don't know what to say other than I hope I smash S1 lol
    Grade boundaries for an A I think will be ~56/75 (75%)
    In terms of revision for it outside of class - I read through quite a few of the AQA C2 papers the night before the exam.

I don't see the point in actually doing papers the night before but maybe I should have done that.
    To be fair if I had actually done them I doubt it would have made any difference lol

Friday 27th May - AQA Chemistry (new spec) paper 1 (A) ~68/80 (85%)
    Dropped ~12 marks I actually felt rather good after the exam. Hopefully the multiple choice has went well. I think I have only dropped ~5 marks on multiple choice lol idek.
    I think for an A it will be ~60/80 (75%)

Preparation - didn't bother with past papers again.
    Just made notes from textbook and basically just making sure everything is stuck in my head.

I JUST WANT 90% IN SOMETHING OK. (and no c1 doesn't count )

What did I do last weekend?
    Basically chill because I have now a week to get myself sorted out for further maths and stats. lol May half term = study leave now
    I tried to do some chem revision on Saturday but lets say it failed.
    I won't count that as work because I ended up sleeping on my textbook. Severe procrastination occurred on that day.
    And tbf I don't really need to do revision for chemistry lol my brain is trying to avoid stats.

BUT ANYWAY ITS MONDAY TODAY OMG. AND THERE IS NO SCHOOL. YAY
    I made stats notes today because I have none. I used to have some (work I done during class) then I binned them because during my stats lessons i don't really give a crap, so they are a bit iffy and I chucked them out ages ago.

Am I looking forward to the rest of my exams?
    Wednesday 8th June - AQA S1
    meh, if i get 100UMS (imagine!) it will bring up my average for AS maths :3
    Thursday 9th June - AQA Physics (new spec) paper 2
    just need to revise my practicals and this time do plenty of past papers
    Friday 10th June - AQA Chemistry (new spec) paper 2
    just need to revise my practicals

-Not looking forward to these exams...-
    Wednesday 15th June - AQA FP1
    Tuesday 21st June - AQA M1
    Monday 27th June - AQA M2

Heya,

Just wanted some advice - I'll also be sitting the AQA Physics New Spec paper 2 and I'm pretty confused on how to revise for it (apart from reading over practicals). I'm not too sure if past papers are the way to go, due to the way the new spec is set out. Just wanted to know how you are apporaching it.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Conquest.)
    Heya,

Just wanted some advice - I'll also be sitting the AQA Physics New Spec paper 2 and I'm pretty confused on how to revise for it (apart from reading over practicals). I'm not too sure if past papers are the way to go, due to the way the new spec is set out. Just wanted to know how you are apporaching it.

Thanks
    The AQA practical handbook is your bible from now on. And make sure you understand all the practical stuff on the two paper 2 specimens.

Also I am focusing on all the stuff that wasn't/was barely on paper 1. E.g. Diffraction, double slits, refraction, total internal reflection, mechanics (although I'm planning to do a lot of m1&m2 this week anyway so that should cover it).

I am planning to focus on all that next week maybe starting Sunday. I will probably do some old spec papers on Sunday just see if there is any gaps in my knowledge and in my understanding.
    I say all this but honestly just going with the flow rn. Good luck though!

I am pretty confident on multiple choice just need to seriously work on practical stuff e.g. uncertainties and how to use a bloody vernier calliper/micrometer.

ReputationRep:
    The AQA practical handbook is your bible from now on. And make sure you understand all the practical stuff on the two paper 2 specimens.

Also I am focusing on all the stuff that wasn't/was barely on paper 1. E.g. Diffraction, double slits, refraction, total internal reflection, mechanics (although I'm planning to do a lot of m1&m2 this week anyway so that should cover it).

I am planning to focus on all that next week maybe starting Sunday. I will probably do some old spec papers on Sunday just see if there is any gaps in my knowledge and in my understanding.

I am pretty confident on multiple choice just need to seriously work on practical stuff e.g. uncertainties and how to use a bloody vernier calliper/micrometer.

Aha, the new spec is just weird. I'm also just going with what seems right. Personally, I need to really fix up with the practical work, neglected it throughout the year... Anyways, thank you for your advice and good luck to you too

ReputationRep:
    hey, well done in everything that you have achieved so far it is great that you want to do well.
    how do you revise for your subjects? may you outline your method? - particularly in regards to GCSE!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can you post your revision timetable in a day please? E.g. 8am wakeup, 9am - 10am do Fp1 revision, 10-11am rest etc thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahrobinsxn)
    hey, well done in everything that you have achieved so far it is great that you want to do well.
    how do you revise for your subjects? may you outline your method? - particularly in regards to GCSE!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For GCSE its basically textbook and make notes.
    For me just plain repetition via rewriting/condensing/rephrasing my notes slightly, all help. Its just knowing a lot of stuff really for GCSE.
    For AS levels you do need to understand a lot more things but once that is out of the way its just learning the stuff that is needed like practicals etc.

If I am ever stuck on a particular concept I do go on YouTube and there is normally a video explaining a particular topic for me.

During GCSEs there wasn't really any problem in understanding the stuff.
    Just do lots of past papers and make sure you know everything and how to say it in the way the examiner wants it. I think that is the most important thing especially to get really high marks.
    That is why making notes from textbooks is a good thing as it you can see what the key words are to use.

No secret to doing well at GCSE. You just have to know the stuff.
    Good Luck to you anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icecreamcake)
    Can you post your revision timetable in a day please? E.g. 8am wakeup, 9am - 10am do Fp1 revision, 10-11am rest etc thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    For half term -
    I wake up whenever. I don't have a set time, sometimes its 12/1pm and other times I wake up at 9am.
    If I need to get a lot of work done (like today )
    I will try and get up early - but no alarm!

Today I got up at 9am and had "breakfast" which consisted of crackers, ham and cheese lol.

Its now 10:25am and I am now trying to get some work done. I don't have set hours, I tend to just go with the flow.
    Today I feel like a bit of M2! So going through the textbook and doing some hard questions. I will probably do a full past paper if I feel confident later on but it all depends on how I feel.

I will probably get sick of M2 at around 1/2pm so I may do some FP1 revision and ensure I know everything solidly before doing some past papers (hopefully).

I don't work solidly to just let you know I do have little breaks in between so going on my phone and checking out instagram, facebook, snapchat, tsr (so I feel less guilty ok) , text some friends about how crap my life is right now lol and basically chat crap.
    I also wander around in the kitchen quite a few times looking for food and of course replenish my revision "snacks" (more like little meals).
    I like to listen to music as well whenever I do work just to keep myself focused and well not depressed.

Dinner is around 4/5pm during half term so I will stop working for an hour and watch some tv. Then I have a shower and then try to do some work after if I have to get a lot done. Personally I like to do past papers late at night with some music. I am aiming to do a few FP1 & M1 & M2 papers tonight.

I will update at midnight or tomorrow morning to let you know if I have stuck to my little plan haha This is why I don't really have a timetable. I just go with the flow and see where my mind takes me.

I definitely will not be doing science revision. I really need to focus on further maths. It is my priority. Even though I have S1. Physics and Chemistry exams next week I'll do revision for that next week or maybe start tomorrow/sunday if I feel like further maths is going ok.

ReputationRep:
    For GCSE its basically textbook and make notes.
    For me just plain repetition via rewriting/condensing/rephrasing my notes slightly, all help. Its just knowing a lot of stuff really for GCSE.
    For AS levels you do need to understand a lot more things but once that is out of the way its just learning the stuff that is needed like practicals etc.

If I am ever stuck on a particular concept I do go on YouTube and there is normally a video explaining a particular topic for me.

During GCSEs there wasn't really any problem in understanding the stuff.
    Just do lots of past papers and make sure you know everything and how to say it in the way the examiner wants it. I think that is the most important thing especially to get really high marks.
    That is why making notes from textbooks is a good thing as it you can see what the key words are to use.

No secret to doing well at GCSE. You just have to know the stuff.
    Good Luck to you anyway!
    thank-you very much, i really appreciate this. will be incorporating your methods in my revision. hopefully, like you, i can achieve straight A*'s!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    For half term -
    I wake up whenever. I don't have a set time, sometimes its 12/1pm and other times I wake up at 9am.
    If I need to get a lot of work done (like today )
    I will try and get up early - but no alarm!

Today I got up at 9am and had "breakfast" which consisted of crackers, ham and cheese lol.

Its now 10:25am and I am now trying to get some work done. I don't have set hours, I tend to just go with the flow.
    Today I feel like a bit of M2! So going through the textbook and doing some hard questions. I will probably do a full past paper if I feel confident later on but it all depends on how I feel.

I will probably get sick of M2 at around 1/2pm so I may do some FP1 revision and ensure I know everything solidly before doing some past papers (hopefully).

I don't work solidly to just let you know I do have little breaks in between so going on my phone and checking out instagram, facebook, snapchat, tsr (so I feel less guilty ok) , text some friends about how crap my life is right now lol and basically chat crap.
    I also wander around in the kitchen quite a few times looking for food and of course replenish my revision "snacks" (more like little meals).
    I like to listen to music as well whenever I do work just to keep myself focused and well not depressed.

Dinner is around 4/5pm during half term so I will stop working for an hour and watch some tv. Then I have a shower and then try to do some work after if I have to get a lot done. Personally I like to do past papers late at night with some music. I am aiming to do a few FP1 & M1 & M2 papers tonight.

I will update at midnight or tomorrow morning to let you know if I have stuck to my little plan haha This is why I don't really have a timetable. I just go with the flow and see where my mind takes me.

I definitely will not be doing science revision. I really need to focus on further maths. It is my priority. Even though I have S1. Physics and Chemistry exams next week I'll do revision for that next week or maybe start tomorrow/sunday if I feel like further maths is going ok.
    Thanks! How do you keep yourself motivated to revise? For me, whenever I take breaks, they just end up lasting hours and I can't get myself to do work again I tried giving myself no breaks to avoid that but I just ended up pretty much brain dead. I can't seem to get a good balance between studying and breaks. And I just basically hate my A2s so much that I can't make myself learn anything! It's really hard for me to find any motivation rn

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    how does revise send help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icecreamcake)
    Thanks! How do you keep yourself motivated to revise? For me, whenever I take breaks, they just end up lasting hours and I can't get myself to do work again I tried giving myself no breaks to avoid that but I just ended up pretty much brain dead. I can't seem to get a good balance between studying and breaks. And I just basically hate my A2s so much that I can't make myself learn anything! It's really hard for me to find any motivation rn

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Motivation rn is the fear of not getting what I want loll.
    I totally understand about lack of motivation.
    Listen to some motivational stuff on youtube
    Or something.
    For me when I am in exam season, i don't really need motivation.

When I do need that boost I just think about failure and sometimes Ill get up a really hard past paper and scare myself.
    I just want to do well for myself. I want to do myself justice and get the best grades I can.

I regret a lot of things and I don't want to regret even more. I wish I had worked continuously all throughout the year on further maths rather than try to basically cram learn everything now. I wish I had spent some of my frees more wisely.

But the past is the past. And complaining wont change that. Do your best now to save yourself even more regrets.

ReputationRep:
    05/06/16 - I say a lot things...
    I said I would do M1, FP1 & M2 past papers the other day. ILL DO THEM TODAY!
    Yesterday I spent pretty much the entire day doing loads of M2 and quickly made notes on FP1 at the end.

To anyone who is self teaching mechanics modules, IMO its a lot harder than FP1 that's for sure.
    Practice is key to understanding what seems fairly straight forward concepts.
    I didn't really use any videos, I just went through the textbook and completed a lot of questions.

Mechanics can be really frustrating but really satisfying
    Especially when you get those show that v=sinxcosxriogaraeigupa038hgliil
    The satisfaction when you get that final answer the way they want it. ITS SO GOOD.
    And it makes me want to do more questions like that. Sometimes it even makes me want self teach M3 next year lol
    Its ok I won't fail M2 thats for sure. The idea of getting 80+ UMS may not be an unrealistic idea at all.

Further Maths Past Paper Sunday...
    My target is 3 M1, 3 FP1 & 3 M2 papers.
    I will report back I promise. Although I promise a lot of things
    I remember doing FP1 papers during Easter and I done pretty well in them.
    Hopefully it will be the same today. I can't really remember doing them tbf.
    This is why sometimes leaving things nearer to the exams is a good thing.

What about revision for S1, physics and chemistry exams next week?
    Next week is going to be fun. 3 consecutive exams although two are in the afternoon, which is great because that means I can cram a lot of things in the morning.
    And everything will be fresh in my head.
    I would say my short term memory is pretty strong if I do say so myself.

Statistics 1 - Exam is Wednesday morning.
    I'll do loads of past paper questions Tuesday night
    especially probability which I am not too confident on although from the questions I have already done from a few papers, its fairly straight forward.

Pretty confident considering I knew zero stats before I managed to teach it to myself in a day on Tuesday I think? I can't remember but I managed 100UMS in the my first paper (dropped 4 marks though ) which is nice confidence booster.
    Hope for anyone else who just doesn't get stats. I thought that, and then I made notes from the textbook. Should go pretty smoothly on Wednesday. Maybe even full UMS!
    lol I think I have given up on the idea of full UMS, its just not going to happen

Physics paper 2 (new spec) - Exam is Thursday afternoon
    I'll revise it on Monday promise & Wednesday night & Thursday morning
    And I'll try and do some past papers.

I really need to learn my practical stuff.
    Major weakness is those bloody vernier callipers and micrometers.
    I lost a lot of marks on that stuff in the specimen paper.
    Multiple choice was okay I lost 6 marks in a total of 30 in the specimen which I was pretty happy about.
    I will focus less on mechanics for obvious reasons.

Chemistry paper 2 (new spec) - Exam is Friday afternoon.
    I'll revise it on Thursday night and Friday morning.
    Might do some on Monday if I have time.

Again I am a bit more confident on the practical stuff for this versus physics.
    Just need to brush up on calculations and just tighten a few things.
    I done well in the specimen set 2 (79% - lost marks on stupid things) so I am a lot more confident for this than in physics.
    But by the looks of things, I'll do probably do better in physics for some reason.

Now it wouldn't be a classic blog post if I didn't have a little rant about something.
    Oh dear its that topic again of having no study leave... (love complaining about the same things ngl)
    I have decided to just not turn up to lessons and stay in the sixth form private study area.
    I'll turn up to lessons on Tuesday but for Monday no way.
    I can't just take days off school (parents) but I think the idea of not turning up to lessons is a good one,
    as I still have to come into school but then I can do what I want.

Cba with my teacher shouting at me for doing chem revision in maths lol.
    It gets me up early, whereas if I take the day off tomorrow I'll probably get up like 9am, have breakfast and won't start any work until like 11 ish. Whereas if I force myself to get up for school, I'll start working from 9am.

We should be able to make our own decisions and revise what we want during lessons. I understand that the teacher is there to help you so it makes sense to revise the stuff for that subject.

But personally I don't like to do revision that I don't WANT to do.
    (I think I've said this like a million times within my lifetime)
    I am far more motivated and productive if I do revision that I want to do.
    I am old enough to make my own decisions ffs. If I needed help from a teacher I would ask.

A lot of things I don't understand I always try and work it out for myself before I harass the teacher.
    That is probably why I was confident enough to ask to self teach further maths, as I know I'll get there in the end if you know what I mean. I'll pull it off no matter how many times I moan about failing everything (yes I am that annoying person).

Its so annoying the way that my school starts A2 lessons when I still have exams.
    Its not fair. Yes I know that I chose to do further maths,
    but still I don't choose when the exams are.
    If they moan at me not coming into school then I am going to kill someone.
    This is why I am trying to not stay off school now and instead just not turn up to lessons, as I need to save those days where I bunk off when A2 lessons start.

Anyways, I can't believe I am nearly half way through my exams. Hopefully none of them will go disastrous.

Some food for thought,
    What happens when the talented work hard...
    some motivation for all you lazy and hard working people.

ReputationRep:
    HANG IN THERE!!

You're almost done :3

ReputationRep:
    Wow that's the most difficult combo of A Levels

ReputationRep:

Blasted cloth, that's like a weakness I can't escape

Almost there! Your blog is dope btw

ReputationRep:
    Good luck, and my college has done the same people still have exams when the A2 classes start. I don't think they have to go though until their exams are over.

ReputationRep:
    05/05/16 : Reporting back...
    After spending ageees trying to edit my first post on here and tidying/organising my room.
    I have managed to do the June 2010 M1, FP1 & M2 papers. They were fairly easy ngl.
    Can't get my hopes up though, they are making it harder.

I DIDN'T DO THESE PAPERS UNDER TIMED CONDITIONS THO.
    These papers today were to give me a little confidence boost for further maths ok.

I had dinner whilst doing M1 ok and the paper formula booklet I was given to keep was incomplete ffs.
    I spent like 5 minutes trying to find Eulers step by step to realise that my teacher hasn't given me a full formula booklet.

2010 FP1 - 97 UMS - dropped a mark - god damnit inequality -
    transformation matrices are my weakness, and they had easy matrices on it lol and no hyperbolas.
    it was a nice paper, probably the nicest its going to get. :/

2010 M1 - 100UMS - full marks yay - straight forward paper.
    If only all M1 papers were like this.

2010 M2 - 90 UMS - A* - say whaaaaaat....
    WORDS CANT DESCRIBE MY FIRST PROPER M2 PAPER (yes I have tried to do some of M2 2015 questions a few days ago and struggled).
    BUT whafhalehgaiuhg arodl fhap;f. I couldn't do one question but still managed to climb up into that A2 starrry goodness.

The question I couldn't do required some c3 integration which I've forgot damn it. Its that variable acceleration business which I have pretty much skipped that chapter in my m2 textbook. BUT ITS OK NOW I KNOW THAT THEY CAN ASK ME STUFF LIKE THAT. ILL PRACTICE THAT.

I could do another FP1 & M1 paper now but I think I'll spend an extra half an hour learning some C3 integration rules then go to bed.

Tomorrow is the day...
    OF DOING ALL MY SCIENCE REVISION FOR MY SCIENCE EXAMS NEXT WEEK, TO MAKE UP FOR SPENDING THE PAST FEW DAYS DOING FURTHER MATHS.
    I'll leave stats the night before. I dedicated a whole day to it in half term anyway.

ReputationRep:
    07/06/16 - stats/physics/chem day
    poor chemistry has been neglected.
    i shall make pretty notes whilst listening to some tunes to make myself feel better.
    also made myself some breakfast (i rarely have breakfast unless its the weekends), i feel so productive

When I say breakfast, well... I made myself some soup.
    AND IM NOT GOING TO SCHOOL TODAY BECAUSE ITS STUPID.
    The laptops take aaaaages to load and idk.
    I just prefer chilling at home with some internet.

How to nail exam technique & revise...
    Right now I am just going through mark schemes and making notes from that.
    I mean I've already got notes and stuff but I like making more because thats how I revise I guess.
    The more I write or put in effort to learn stuff, it helps me understand it.

Mark schemes though are great as you know what to say for things and how to get that mark.
    Plus you know what has come up recently and what hasn't come up a lot for a while.

Too much effort to do full science papers under timed conditions.

Realistic goals of the day
    Revise the entire chem by making notes for paper 2.
    Honestly it shouldn't take long. Its revision not self studying everything all over again.
    The nice thing about chemistry than say biology is that I don't have to remember loooooads of things.
    Its also fairly straight forward I guess once you 'get' it.

Plus Organic is just nice.
    Its not like inorganic where you have to know all the tests, its just mechanisms and crap.
    Its just really pattern recognition I guess with mechanisms so I am not worrying about them.
    The rest of organic is just stuff.

Physical on the other hand is even nicer because once you sort of understand it,
    then its just looking at exam questions that you can't do.
    A bit of practice and hope for the best.
    Not a lot of note taking required once you've grasped the concepts well.

Do at least two stats papers under timed conditions...
    Considering I have my stats exam tomorrow I really should be doing as many as I can.
    But its boring af. Jack Brown AQA S1 playlist x1.5 the speed is great ngl.

Physicssssssss I LOVE PHYSICS...
    I am not being sarcastic when I say that.
    Seriously. Whilst all the practicals are soooooo dull (if im being honest),
    and all this percentage error, sig fig, decimal places, precision bs
    isn't exactly my favourite thing in the world.
    Once you understand it, life is so much easier.

Oh yeah for my physics revision its just going through mark schemes. exciting.

Plus physics crashcourse videos are so good
    I love watching passionate people explain stuff.
    Whilst it doesn't go into that much detail its lightens up my day ok.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX6b17PVsYBQ0ip5gyeme-Q
    I NEED TO WATCH THE CHEMISTRY ONES AGAIN. ALL THOSE BEAUTIFUL GRAPHICS AND HANK'S CUTE NERDINESS

time for the serious business...
    FURTHER MATHS.
    Exams for everything else finish on Friday. I'll probably do at least one M1 or FP1 or M2 paper each day up until Friday.

After that I have four days (3 whole days if I take Tuesday off school) to prepare for FP1.
    In those three days I could do around 15 papers if they take me only ~1 hour each.
    So thats ~5 papers/hours each day.

I hate doing past papers for science. But past papers for further maths I don't mind doing them.

Then I have five days for M1 after my FP1 exam - again only three whole days if I take Monday off school.

Then six days to prepare for M2 and if I take Friday off school then that is three whole days.
    I'll probably do some M2 whilst revising for M1 because M2 is ALOT harder.

You know it would be so much nicer IF I HAD STUDY LEAVE..
    IF I HAD STUDY LEAVE THEN I'D HAVE BAGS OF TIME.
    BUT NOOOO I'LL PROBABLY HAVE A2 HOMEWORK TO DO INSTEAD
    OF REVISING FOR FURTHER MATHS.

anyways I need to stop wasting my time on here and do some work.
    you know it takes me a good half an hour to write up a blog post on here.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also self-teaching Maths, Further Maths and Physics, working towards AAA. Hang in there, we're in this together! Edexcel FP2 and M1 tomorrow for me. Good luck

(I cheat a little bit because I live with a Cambridge Mathematics Undergraduate professional tutor :P)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stormin')
    I'm also self-teaching Maths, Further Maths and Physics, working towards AAA. Hang in there, we're in this together! Edexcel FP2 and M1 tomorrow for me. Good luck

(I cheat a little bit because I live with a Cambridge Mathematics Undergraduate professional tutor :P)
    Good luck to you!! That is horrible lol two exams in a day.
    YES WE CAN DO THIS

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.