Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Jack's Journey to Medicine! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to kick this thread off with a little bit about me, what I study, my aspirations and everything related!

Basic background info:

My name's Jack, I'm a sixteen year old AS student from the North West.

My academic background / what I currently study:

In GCSEs I obtained 8A*s and 3As, the 3As being in Drama, ICT and iGCSE English Language as I completed 3 English GCSEs. - This was the best set of results in my school as I attend a rather low achieving non-selective state school.
    I'm currently studying Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths at AS level, and I will be sitting my AS exams, despite the fact that they're decoupled, at the end of this year (2016).

My aspirations and ambitions:

My immediate goal is to achieve 4As at AS Level, ideally with >93% UMS average and to do well in UKCAT / BMAT once they arise.
    As you may have guessed from the title though, my long term goal is to study medicine and subsequently go on to become a doctor.
    As you can imagine, I'm not certain on the specialty I wish to go in to yet, but neurology and trauma interest me.
    I'm also not entirely sure on which Universities I'll be applying to, but I'm sure I'll get a better idea of that come summer once I've visited a few and such.

My hobbies:

I'm an actor and I'm in two acting companies.
    I play the piano / keyboard and enjoy music on a whole.
    I enjoy playing a few sports, such as badminton and table tennis, and I like to swim and run.

Books I'm reading/have read:
    • 'In Stitches' by Nick Edwards.
    • 'A Short Introduction to Medical Ethics' by Tony Hope.
    • 'A Man Who Mistook his Wife for a Hat' by Oliver Sacks.
    • 'Awakenings' by Oliver Sacks.
    • 'So you want to be a doctor?'
    • 'The Music of Life: Beyond the Genome.'
    • 'Trust me I'm a (Junior) Doctor'.
    • I'm also subscribed to American Scientist and New Scientist. Well, when I say subscribed, I borrow them off of one of my science teachers
    • Outliers: Story of Success.
    Highlighted in
    Programmes I've applied / am applying to:
    • Liverpool Scholars Program - I've been accepted onto this.
    • I'm going to Sri Lanka in 2017 as a part of World Challenge. This is a programme in which one helps out in the local Sri Lankan communities. I will be attending a local elephant orphanage and a Sri Lankan school, where I will be taking part in a project of helping the locals. Over the new two years (I go in July), I will be raising money to take part in this programme.
    • Cambridge Shadowing Scheme - I've been accepted onto this and I'm shadowing a Medic in Week 3 - I can't wait! - Absolutely brilliant experience, thoroughly enjoyed it and my mentor was amazing. I would advise anyone to look into this for future years.
    • Introduction to Medicine Course in a local hospital - I've completed this at my local hospital. I spent a day in A&E with a registrar, more specifically in resus and majors - so interesting! I spent quite a bit of time in pathology and ophthalmology too, all very intriguing!
    • Social Mobility Programme - Accepted - currently taking part with work experience with them! - Incredibly helpful!!
    • UNIQ - Accepted! - I'll be attending between the 2nd of July and the 8th.
    • Nuffield Research Programme - Accepted! - Currently looking for a placement in summer
    • Sutton Trust - I've applied for the Bristol Summer School - awaiting acceptable / rejection.
    Work Experience / Voluntary work:
    • Volunteering at a local charity shop (3 hours a week) for over 8 months now.
    • 4 hours a week voluntary in a local hospital for over 6 months.
    • 2.5 days of an introduction to medicine course, as explained above.
    • 2 days working in a pharmacy.
    • Will be carrying out 2 weeks of work experience in my local heart and chest hospital in summer.
    • *Hopefully* getting some GP shadowing.
    • In the application process of care home volunteering.
    • Help younger children in my school with the sciences and maths.
    • I'm an academic mentor in my school, and thus I mentor certain individuals in younger years who may need extra support / guidance with their studies.
    Note: Any grades in green I am pleased and happy with, any grades in yellow I wish to improve, and any grades in red I'm concerned by.

Monitoring 1:

These were my first bout of 'assessments/mocks', they involved small class tests / taking the mark of other work (assessed practical work). - These weren't particularly accurate, in my opinion.

Chemistry - A
    Physics - A
    Maths - A
    Biology - B

Monitoring 2:

This was my second set of 'monitoring'.
    These were the December / January mocks, and in my opinion, significantly more accurate. These were actually in somewhat controlled conditions, and equal to a full paper. - But, I'd still say they weren't truly representative.

Chemistry (Mixture of physical chemistry and organic) - A
    Physics (Particles and radiation / Electricity) - A (90% average)
    Maths (2015 C1 Paper) - A (87%) - highlighted in yellow as I wish to improve this and bump it up >95%, I know I am able to perform better.
    Biology (Mixture of biological molecules and cells) - A

Monitoring 3:

Chemistry (Mixture of physical chemistry, organic and inorganic) - A
    Physics (Waves) - A (90% average)
    Maths (Mixture of C2 and S1) - A (85%) - highlighted in yellow as I wish to improve this and bump it up >95%, I know I am able to perform better.
    Biology (Cells) - A

Monitoring 4:

Chemistry (Mixture of physical chemistry, organic and inorganic) - A
    Physics (No idea what this was based on, not putting too much weight on it.) - A
    Maths (Mixture of C2 and S1) - A (87%) - highlighted in yellow as I wish to improve this and bump it up >95%, I know I am able to perform better.- Can't quite seem to get it up there!
    Biology (Exchange with the environment) - A

My revision plan:

As previously mentioned, I wish to achieve 4 As at AS, with my average UMS being greater than 93%, and thus a lot of work is required.Although I've put in a fair bit of work so far, I haven't gave it my full, and so I'm going to from now on.
    • I plan to complete two C1 past papers / replica papers / soloman papers a week, slowly increasing this as time goes by.
    • I plan to study around two/three hours per week day and more on the weekend.
    • I plan to make notes on all the topics I've covered in that specific day in detail to ensure I completely understand each sub topic of each subject.
    • I plan to make flash cards / condensed notes on all my topics.
    • I plan to drill exam practice to consolidate my knowledge and ensure my exam technique is up to scratch. Ideally, an hour or two of exam practice per science per week would be good.
    The general structure of this blog will be continuously posting what I plan to do that evening / the next day / in the next week.
    This will hopefully be regularly updated, and I hope many of you can join me on my journey to 4 As and possibly learn something from it or be motivated in the process!

ReputationRep:
    You're well on track, good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekno)
    You're well on track, good luck!
    Thank you!

On another note, my revision for tonight (25/01/2016) - I'm starting quite late in the day due to volunteering on a Monday:
    1. Write short hand notes on S1 (Data interpretation) and Sine/Cosine/Coordinate Geometry in C2.
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Hopefully around an hour and a half work - I'm tired :')

ReputationRep:
    Good luck, it seems you're on the right track at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kozmo)
    I'm going to kick this thread off with a little bit about me, what I study, my aspirations and everything related!

Basic background info:

My name's Jack, I'm a sixteen year old AS student from the North West.

My academic background / what I currently study:

In GCSEs I obtained 8A*s and 3As, the 3As being in Drama, ICT and iGCSE English Language as I completed 3 English GCSEs.
    I'm currently studying Chemistry, Biology, Physics and Maths at AS level, and I will be sitting my AS exams, despite the fact that they're decoupled, at the end of this year (2016).

My aspirations and ambitions:

My immediate goal is to achieve 4As at AS Level, ideally with >93% UMS average and to do well in UKCAT / BMAT once they arise.
    As you may have guessed from the title though, my long term goal is to study medicine and subsequently go on to become a doctor.
    As you can imagine, I'm not certain on the specialty I wish to go in to yet, but neurology and trauma interest me.
    I'm also not entirely sure on which Universities I'll be applying to, but I'm sure I'll get a better idea of that come summer once I've visited a few and such.

My hobbies:

I'm an actor and I'm in two acting companies.
    I play the piano / keyboard and enjoy music on a whole.
    I enjoy playing a few sports, such as badminton and table tennis, and I like to swim and run.

Note: Any grades in green I am pleased and happy with, any grades in yellow I wish to improve, and any grades in red I'm concerned by.

Monitoring 1:

These were my first bout of 'assessments/mocks', they involved small class tests / taking the mark of other work (assessed practical work). - These weren't particularly accurate, in my opinion.

Chemistry - A
    Physics - A
    Maths - A
    Biology - B

Monitoring 2:

This was my second set of 'monitoring'.
    These were the December / January mocks, and in my opinion, significantly more accurate. These were actually in somewhat controlled conditions, and equal to a full paper. - But, I'd still say they weren't truly representative.

Chemistry (Mixture of physical chemistry and organic) - A
    Physics (Particles and radiation / Electricity) - A (90% average)
    Maths (2015 C1 Paper) - A (87%) - highlighted in yellow as I wish to improve this and bump it up >95%, I now I am able to perform better.
    Biology (Mixture of biological molecules and cells) - A

My revision plan:

As previously mentioned, I wish to achieve 4 As at AS, with my average UMS being greater than 93%, and thus a lot of work is required.Although I've put in a fair bit of work so far, I haven't gave it my full, and so I'm going to from now on.
    • I plan to complete two C1 past papers / replica papers / soloman papers a week, slowly increasing this as time goes by.
    • I plan to study around two/three hours per week day and more on the weekend.
    • I plan to make notes on all the topics I've covered in that specific day in detail to ensure I completely understand each sub topic of each subject.
    • I plan to make flash cards / condensed notes on all my topics.
    • I plan to drill exam practice to consolidate my knowledge and ensure my exam technique is up to scratch. Ideally, an hour or two of exam practice per science per week would be good.
    The general structure of this blog will be continuously posting what I plan to do that evening / the next day / in the next week.
    This will hopefully be regularly updated, and I hope many of you can join me on my journey to 4 As and possibly learn something from it or be motivated in the process!
    I'm also on AQA Biology and am aiming for a high A too. Just out of interest what chapters do you still have left to make notes for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SANTR)
    I'm also on AQA Biology and am aiming for a high A too. Just out of interest what chapters do you still have left to make notes for?
    We're yet to cover a lot in class, in fact, I'm hesitant we won't finish in time for our exams.

We're currently only up to the immune system. We've finished biological molecules and cells up to this point.

My own notes are up to date with our lessons, but I may begin self teaching topics we're yet to cover in case we don't finish in time
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    You're doing well at this stage for an AS student! :yep:

I like the colour coding as well.

Best of luck! :borat:

ReputationRep:
    Late start for tonight, but for an hour or so I'm going to:
    1. Complete a short homework that isn't in till Thursday but I may as well do now
    2. Read over Kinetics in Physical Chem and Equilibria.
    3. Make notes on Polarisation in waves.
    4. Apply for a work experience placement.
    Tomorrow, my plan is to:
    1. Write up notes on Kinetics in Physical Chemistry / finish condensing notes for the end of energetics.
    2. Write up S1 notes and the start of C2 notes.
    3. Do a little more of my UNIQ personal statement.
    4. If I have time, write up some notes on waves (Physics).
    5. Read through Mechanics notes (moments).

ReputationRep:
    I've just updated the OP with more information about programmes I'm apart of, books I'm reading and my voluntary / work experience.
    I'd recommend all the books I'm reading to anyone, but in particular to prospective medics.

Hopefully the new information is of some help!

ReputationRep:
    Wow!! How do you fit all that in and still get amazing grades!
    I'm doing AS too and only work at the weekends and spend a couple of nights a week volunteering, and can never find time to fit everything. Have you got any tips for time management stuff?

You seem to be doing great so far and all the best for the rest of the year. Also I'm sure that you will finish the biology course. My class are in the same boat as have done less than half the book, no practicals and have cover 4/6 times a week and we are somehow going to finish the course (I am doing OCR board, don't know how different AQA is)

Thanks and best of luck, you seem very dedicated and that will get you through to succeed

Btw which maths exam board you on? I'm doing MEI

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_macaroon)
    Wow!! How do you fit all that in and still get amazing grades!
    I'm doing AS too and only work at the weekends and spend a couple of nights a week volunteering, and can never find time to fit everything. Have you got any tips for time management stuff?

You seem to be doing great so far and all the best for the rest of the year. Also I'm sure that you will finish the biology course. My class are in the same boat as have done less than half the book, no practicals and have cover 4/6 times a week and we are somehow going to finish the course (I am doing OCR board, don't know how different AQA is)

Thanks and best of luck, you seem very dedicated and that will get you through to succeed

Btw which maths exam board you on? I'm doing MEI
    First of all, I'm with Edexcel for Maths

Secondly, time management isn't always easy, especially with all of the extra-curriculars I have, it's a pain trying to do work.
    Anyhow, I'd recommend just utilising the time you do have to work. Make use of the mundane tasks you have, eating at lunch for example, and read a text book or a book during them. Make sure that you make the best use possibly of your frees / study periods. This is something I don't do particularly well (I often just sit off), but I need to begin doing.

Also, if you haven't already, make a revision blog in this section to keep you motivated!

Finally, thanks and best of luck to you too, I'm sure you'll do great.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for advice, I'm the same in frees and need to start using them better and just need to be generally more motivated

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blue_macaroon)
    Thanks for advice, I'm the same in frees and need to start using them better and just need to be generally more motivated
    Best of luck. Hopefully we can both eradicate the procrastination!

ReputationRep:
    Because of a very late homework I got set, I had to delay a few of my plans to tonight.

As a result, the revision I'm doing tonight entails:
    1. Notes on kinetics (Physical Chem).
    2. Notes on Cosine, Sine and Coordinate Geometry in C2
    3. S1 notes up to probability.
    4. Read through text book on equilibria
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I have two small tests (only in lesson) tomorrow on the topics noted above - as well as few other topics that I've already covered in the week. I should be prepared by 10pm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kozmo)
    Best of luck. Hopefully we can both eradicate the procrastination!
    Haha yeah that's would be helpful

ReputationRep:
    The last two days I've spent relaxing and enjoying time with my friends and family. As a result, I haven't done any work in the past two days and thus I need to make up for that by working today.

My plan for today is to:
    1. Finish notes on Kinetics, parts of C2 and S1.
    2. Complete my maths, biology and physics homework.

ReputationRep:
    My plan for tonight is to:
    1. Complete my chemistry homework (roughly 45 minutes work).
    2. Make notes on the start of wave properties.

ReputationRep:
    Hi. I was wondering just how you find all of these opportunities and programs you are doing. I need to do more of these as I am currently doing only 1 day of work experience a week.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shipreck)
    Hi. I was wondering just how you find all of these opportunities and programs you are doing. I need to do more of these as I am currently doing only 1 day of work experience a week.
    Luckily I've had a number of people inform of a few programmes which has been a massive help.
    Other than that though, research constantly. Phone every GP / Pharmacy / Hospital within a 5 or 10 mile radius enquiring about voluntary or work experience.

Persistence is key!

ReputationRep:
    I've just got back from the Cambridge Shadowing Scheme and I had a wonderful time!
    However, that also means I done no work and as a result I have to catch up on a bunch of work having missed two days.
    So, my plan for tomorrow is:
    1. Catch up on notes on Biology (get up to exchange systems in fish)
    2. Catch up on maths topics and complete the set homework.
    3. Catch up on notes on Waves (Physics) - Moments and Couples.
    4. Complete two Mechanics homeworks.
    5. Catch up on Chemistry notes.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.