The Student Room Group

I don't like targets

Right so I started AS in September, great times like, best banter. I'm doing 4 AS levels: French, Philosophy, Biology and maths. (I'm sure I had a plan somewhere when I came up with that combo....not sure what it was tho)

After doing classwork for like a month or so, the "agreed targets" set for me by the school were B in Philosophy and French, C in Biology and glorious C in maths. After doing my first set of mocks, I didn't get any of those grades. Philosophy and French I got As, Biology I got a B and Maths I received the D (hue)

Unfortunately I don't particularly keep on doing French after AS because I'd rather learn the language without all the exam pressure. This means I'm going to have to get good at maths so I can take that into next year without crashing and burning.

So my personal targets are as follows:
A in Philosophy
A in French
A or B in Biology I'm not fussed as long as it's not a C or D
At least a B in maths so I can drop French without the sixth form management looking at me like this: :lolwut:

Given that I essentially slept through GCSE and got my good-ish grades almost entirely through night before (and sometimes on the morning of the exam) revision, I haven't a clue what revision methods work for me and as of yet know no ways of preventing myself from procrastinating. I figured being obligated to post rubbish here would work as some kind of method of motivation.

So this is me on my banterous journey to unrealistic aims above what all my teachers expect from me. Dunno why anybody would want to read it but ya know, you do you...whatever.

Spoiler

Scroll to see replies

Lol you recieved the D in maths :colone:.
Original post by cbreef
Lol you recieved the D in maths :colone:.

:colone::colone::colone::colone:

How do people even do C1 tho honestly i cri evertim
Original post by Retired_Messiah
:colone::colone::colone::colone:

How do people even do C1 tho honestly i cri evertim

Pracice makes perfect with Maths :wink: doing as many questions as you can helps.

I hope that you have a very 'banterous' journey :lol: and that you get to drop French at AS..The coursework at A2 (or the speaking thing that you have to do) must be quite difficult :s-smilie:.
Original post by SeanFM
Pracice makes perfect with Maths :wink: doing as many questions as you can helps.

I hope that you have a very 'banterous' journey :lol: and that you get to drop French at AS..The coursework at A2 (or the speaking thing that you have to do) must be quite difficult :s-smilie:.

Mhm I had to do like a billion questions before I understood how factorising even worked, it's just finding the time, y'know?
French is just hellish, all I wanted out of it was how to order food and have casual bants with foreign people but instead I've got to discuss the role of advertising in modern society and explain what a good friend is... I don't even know the word for carrot.
Mhm I had to do like a billion questions before I understood how factorising even worked, it's just finding the time, y'know?
French is just hellish, all I wanted out of it was how to order food and have casual bants with foreign people but instead I've got to discuss the role of advertising in modern society and explain what a good friend is... I don't even know the word for carrot.

Yeah, time and motivation are two of the most elusive things to an A-level student.. almost as much as sleep.

:facepalm2: takes all the fun out of it, no doubt.
So just now I worked out which bits of C1 I don't have a clue about. It appears I only can't do 4/8 of the topics in my texbook, which isn't as bad as I thought. Tonite doin many inequalities questions and then through rest of the week there's a glorious philosophy essay due on Monday and a french paragraph on some other irrelevant thing about the family that I would never need due on...Thursday?

So plan for the week is inequalities and learn the counters to all the relevant daft arguments about God tonight so I can get some of that hawt Philosophy action going, then Wednesday - Thurs I'm gonna have to mostly finish essay and completely finish the French plus whatever biology I get in that time, and then Friday and the weekend will have to be loads more maths or I'll never get it all learned in time what with having to start learning rubbish to spout for the French speaking practices/mocks I'll be doing in the next couple of weeks.

No fun allowed this weekend I guess #lovelife

inb4 I play Papers, Please for 12 hours straight and forget to do the important things
(edited 8 years ago)
What the heck are asymptotes?
got ill and am now like 2 days behind on all the things I was gonna do lmao lmao somebody end my life pls
JFC man, how do you handle French?
What the heck are asymptotes?

Asymptotes are points on graphs for which an x or y value is undefined or it doesn't quite reach it. That's how I think of it at least, there might be a more rigorous definition.

For example the graph of y = 1/x has an asymptote at x=0 because 1/0 gives you something silly.

Similarly, y = 1/(x-2) has an asymptote at x=2.

Now looking for a y asymptote, something like y=2x+1x y= \frac{2x+1}{x} has an asymptote at y = 2. For really large values of x, the y value will almost be 2 but never exactly 2 because of the +1 on the numerator, it'll be 2.0000000001 say, so an asymptote at 2. (Put large values of x into your calculator for that equation and see for yourself).
Original post by Imperion
JFC man, how do you handle French?

I don't lmao getting the work done is hellish

Original post by SeanFM
Asymptotes are points on graphs for which an x or y value is undefined or it doesn't quite reach it. That's how I think of it at least, there might be a more rigorous definition.

For example the graph of y = 1/x has an asymptote at x=0 because 1/0 gives you something silly.

Similarly, y = 1/(x-2) has an asymptote at x=2.

Now looking for a y asymptote, something like y=2x+1x y= \frac{2x+1}{x} has an asymptote at y = 2. For really large values of x, the y value will almost be 2 but never exactly 2 because of the +1 on the numerator, it'll be 2.0000000001 say, so an asymptote at 2. (Put large values of x into your calculator for that equation and see for yourself).

Aaaahhh dat's tite fam.

Guess I'll go finish that philosophy essay now...... :cry:

Aaaahhh dat's tite fam.

:console: maybe you could just write a short essay and say that you shaved it with Occam's razor? :redface:
Original post by SeanFM
:console: maybe you could just write a short essay and say that you shaved it with Occam's razor? :redface:

The arguments I'm meant to go on about are wordy as hell, razoring them will still leave me with a 1000 word essay to write probably...

gawd how am I supposed to find time to 100% Rise of the Tomb Raider? :frown:
The arguments I'm meant to go on about are wordy as hell, razoring them will still leave me with a 1000 word essay to write probably...

Perhaps you could make some progress towards that after your essay and just do it in your breaks every now and then? :tongue:

Aaaahhh dat's tite fam.

:rofl:

Philosophy's dope doe.

Original post by SeanFM

:rofl:

Beta game.

Spoiler

Original post by Imperion
Beta game.

Spoiler

Is actually amazing game if you play it on the hardest difficulty and ignore how vague some of the plot is
Well this got neglected didn't it lmao took me like 12 years to find it again. Updates:

1. Apparently that philosophy essay never got sent when I did the email (thanks Obama) so no idea if it was any good or not yet. It appears the stuff I learn sticks tho, seeing as I've been accidentally writing near-essay like posts on here when people get in religion based arguments...
2. I now have 36 pages of french vocab I got from the internet to learn. cri. Speaking test is in April some time, I have no idea about talking about advertising so I'd better get on that I guess.
3. Biology is just sorta chugging along, easy enough to do the stuff.
4. Got 3 maths C1 past papers, gonna do those over half term to see if I've managed to teach myself any of C1 at all successfully. If yes, then the dropping French dream will be almost a reality.

Will try to make posting in this somewhat more regular, posting might help me to stop losing track of wtf I'm doing and what's going on.

Spoiler

Update: A very nice doctor reckons I have fractured my toe by just walking around (???) and I need to get an x ray tomorrow, so there's potential for me to skip a french speaking I've in no way prepared for, giving me a whole half term to work out wtf I would actually say.

If not, will be dead by morning.

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Get better soon :redface: and I hope that you don't feel too sad about missing your speaking test...!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending