Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Great Gatsby Quotes Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any quotes on the 'The Great Gatsby' novel focusing on manipulation and jealousy.

If you have any summary or analysis please share!

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dylonslick)
    Does anyone have any quotes on the 'The Great Gatsby' novel focusing on manipulation and jealousy.

If you have any summary or analysis please share!

Thanks!
    Hi,

The Great Gatsby- “He stretched out his arms toward the dark water in a curious way, and as far as I was from him, I could have sworn he was trembling”

(Manipulation of love over Daisy)

1. Green light symbolises his dream of attaining Daisy and dark water possibly the struggle of what he will have to face first
    2. Daisy is just an object to Gatsby- Gatsby is in his final stage of American Dream3. His movement towards the green light shows his obsession over Daisy and how he wants her all to himself
    4. Look at the words, ‘stretched’, ‘trembling’, ‘dark water’

The Great Gatsby- “I hope she’ll be a fool—that’s the best thing a girl can be in this world, a beautiful little fool.”

(Manipulation society has on female position)

1. Daisy has been stuck in a society which represses female identity and views them with little intelligence.
    2. Daisy believing what society has told her for most of her life; she has been moulded to a society dominated by men
    3. she conforms to the social standings of femininity in a typical 1920’s American Society- society values subservience and docility
    4. Look at the words, ‘fool’, ‘best thing’, ‘little’

ReputationRep:
    Gatsby says to Tom "“She only married you because I was poor” Which has so much you can unpack on

I could give you other good quotes I used in my A level coursework which got an A but mine was on tragedy so not much help sorry, i'll throw these out just because they may help you in other themes...

“Almost five years! There must have been momentseven that afternoon when Daisy tumbled short of his dreams - not through herown fault, but because of the colossal vitality of his illusion”

Carraway comparing Gatsby’s pursuit of Daisy to“following the grail”

"The truth was that Jay Gatsby of West Egg, LongIsland, sprang from his platonic conception of himself. He was a son of God – aphrase which, if it means anything, means just that.”

ReputationRep:
    Try some of these - don't use full quotes:

“Everyone suspects himself of at least one of the cardinal virtues, and this is mine: I am one of the few honest people that I have ever known."

“He killed a man once… He was a German spy during the war… He was in the American Army."

“I never loved him."

"'That's because your mother wanted to show you .' Her face bent into the single wrinkle of the small white neck. 'You dream, you. You absolute little dream.'"

"Crossing his lawn I saw that his front door was still open and he was leaning against a table in the hall, heavy with dejection or sleep.
    'Nothing happened,' he said wanly. 'I waited, and about four o'clock she came to the window and stood there for a minute and then turned out the light.'"

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.