Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Casio fx-82 MS - Is this a good calculator for A-Level Mathematics exams? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello

This is my first post to The Student Room. I'm considering entering myself for the A-Level Mathematics exams, which begin in 3 1/2 months. It's been a late decision because some universities I'm applying to in Germany want 2 A-levels. I'm planning on cutting back my work hours and putting in something like 4 hours minimum each day (even Sundays, no days off!) for 3 months That gives me about 2 weeks before the first exam to do lots of past papers. I haven't totally decided yet, I have a couple of weeks to see if it's doable before I pay the registration for the exams as an external candidate. I've been reviewing my GCSE Maths which I did at school when I was younger. I've just bought (but can return) a Casio fx-82 MS calculator.

Is this calculator model suitable for A-Level exams?

Thanks a lot in advance
    Peter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the81kid)
    Hello

This is my first post to The Student Room. I'm considering entering myself for the A-Level Mathematics exams, which begin in 3 1/2 months. It's been a late decision because some universities I'm applying to in Germany want 2 A-levels. I'm planning on cutting back my work hours and putting in something like 4 hours minimum each day (even Sundays, no days off!) for 3 months That gives me about 2 weeks before the first exam to do lots of past papers. I haven't totally decided yet, I have a couple of weeks to see if it's doable before I pay the registration for the exams as an external candidate. I've been reviewing my GCSE Maths which I did at school when I was younger. I've just bought (but can return) a Casio fx-82 MS calculator.

Thanks a lot in advance
    Peter
    it is indeed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    it is indeed
    Thanks for the quick response. Is there anything I should know about this model? Any functions it would be helpful to have but doesn't?

I just want to make sure of everything! Thanks again

ReputationRep:
    Hello

Thanks a lot in advance
    Peter
    Thanks for the quick response. Is there anything I should know about this model? Any functions it would be helpful to have but doesn't?I just want to make sure of everything! Thanks again

It is fine, BUT

the fx-991ES PLUS is muuch better, there is a button for integration and differentiation, although it won't tell you the algebraic answer, it will allow you to check your answers during the exam too. Saved me loads of time during my C2 exam, cos I worked out the answer normal, then quickly put the values on the calculator to check if I was right, and I was

It costs a bit more but it's worth it IMO. A few extra pounds can save you time allowing you to get more marks. It's up to you

---
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...1ES_Calculator

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the quick response. Is there anything I should know about this model? Any functions it would be helpful to have but doesn't?

I just want to make sure of everything! Thanks again
    no worries
    It is the most standard, most popular, calculator

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeeEm)
    no worries
    It is the most standard, most popular, calculator
    Do you think it's worth having a "natural display" (expressions appear like they do in books) like this next model? Are the extra 20 functions worth it (this fx-82 MS has "only" 240 functions? Or is the model I have (fx-82 MS) good enough anyway?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-FX-83G...vel+calculator

Thanks again to everyone here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Axel Johann)
    It is fine, BUT

the fx-991ES PLUS is muuch better, there is a button for integration and differentiation, although it won't tell you the algebraic answer, it will allow you to check your answers during the exam too. Saved me loads of time during my C2 exam, cos I worked out the answer normal, then quickly put the values on the calculator to check if I was right, and I was

It costs a bit more but it's worth it IMO. A few extra pounds can save you time allowing you to get more marks. It's up to you

---
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...1ES_Calculator
    Hello
    Thanks a lot for the tip. I'm definitely going to check it out.

ReputationRep:
    We were told to get the fx-991ES PLUS Scientific calculator for A level maths

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    Thanks a lot for the tip. I'm definitely going to check it out.
    No problem check the link out too, it explains the functions of the calculator

ReputationRep:
    No problem check the link out too, it explains the functions of the calculator
    I'm bookmarking your link thanks a lot! If I'm gonna do this, I'm going to need all the help I can get. I can order that model from here in Spain (I live in Madrid), so I think I'll order it tonight, return the other one. It has good reviews on all the Amazon pages.

ReputationRep:
    Hello

Thanks a lot in advance
    Peter
    It is suitable for A-level maths. However, a lot of people use the fx-991ES PLUS, it has more functions that will come in use such as the equations mode. Although you can certainly do A-Levels without it, it will make life a little easier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana27)
    It is suitable for A-level maths. However, a lot of people use the fx-991ES PLUS, it has more functions that will come in use such as the equations mode. Although you can certainly do A-Levels without it, it will make life a little easier.
    Thanks for the heads up. I few people have suggested the fx-991ES PLUS. I think I'll go for that one. Many thanks to everyone here!

ReputationRep:
    I'm bookmarking your link thanks a lot! If I'm gonna do this, I'm going to need all the help I can get. I can order that model from here in Spain (I live in Madrid), so I think I'll order it tonight, return the other one. It has good reviews on all the Amazon pages.
    You're welcome
    Yyyup, I don't quite remember the 2015 paper, but I remember there was this thing where you either had to minus or add 24, and I was really confused on what to do. I put it on the calculator and the answer I got on there essentially showed me that I needed to minus 24. And that saved me so much time. Good luck man

Oh and it's also way more fun to play around with :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    You're welcome
    Yyyup, I don't quite remember the 2015 paper, but I remember there was this thing where you either had to minus or add 24, and I was really confused on what to do. I put it on the calculator and the answer I got on there essentially showed me that I needed to minus 24. And that saved me so much time. Good luck man

Oh and it's also way more fun to play around with :teehee:
    Looks like we have a winner. fx-991es plus it is!
    You'll probably see me around the forums, asking questions. I'll let you know how the calculator goes!

ReputationRep:
    Looks like we have a winner. fx-991es plus it is!
    You'll probably see me around the forums, asking questions. I'll let you know how the calculator goes!
    Yay! :woo:

Alrighty Let me know if you have any more questions haha

ReputationRep:
    Yay! :woo:

Alrighty Let me know if you have any more questions haha
    Will do! And thanks again

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.