Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is Birmingham just big clubs and concrete buildings? Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    I'm struggling to decide between Bristol and Birmingham for Psychology. I love Birmingham uni campus and really felt enthusiastic about the course and the modern department compared to the very old fashioned building at Bristol.

However, I live in Cardiff and I visit Bristol regularly and I think I'm definitely more of a 'Bristol person' (if that makes any sense) as I love smaller independent music venues/places to eat and I don't go to big clubs when I go out so I don't know if I'd enjoy the nights out in Birmingham if there was only huge clubs that play chart/pop music.

I hope I don't sound like I'm trying to be stuck up/that I'm too good for bigger city clubs! I just want to make the right decision and be sure that I'd enjoy myself living in Birmingham as it'd be a 2 hour train journey home back to Cardiff so that's quite a long way if I didn't enjoy my time in Birmingham.

Hopefully I can have some honest opinions and a heads up about any smaller venues that I might prefer!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Birmingham is such a diverse place to live, there is quite literally something for everyone there! Of course, during your first year you'll have a lot of the mainstream, big and brash stuff pushed on you, but that doesn't mean that that's all there is on offer (although who doesn't love a big night out occasionally?!).

As long as you do your research you can be happy in Birmingham regardless of your interests and tastes. I can't really give you any good ideas for smaller places as I'm not really sure what you're into, but it won't take long for you to find something! The best way to find out about lower key/less well known places is just tp chat to different people (especially those who've been around for a little longer). Failing that, Google is a wonderful thing and never fails to bring up new places to go and things to do! Also, I am still a firm believer that the best places are always found when you go exploring, without a clear idea of what you're after.

Both uni and selly oak (the most popular place students live after first year) have a train station, so wherever you want to go in the city is only a short journey away

I am from a smaller town myself and was apprehensive about moving to Brum for similar reasons to you, but I really would not change it for the world now and am so happy to be able to call it home

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sksh)
    Birmingham is such a diverse place to live, there is quite literally something for everyone there! Of course, during your first year you'll have a lot of the mainstream, big and brash stuff pushed on you, but that doesn't mean that that's all there is on offer (although who doesn't love a big night out occasionally?!).

As long as you do your research you can be happy in Birmingham regardless of your interests and tastes. I can't really give you any good ideas for smaller places as I'm not really sure what you're into, but it won't take long for you to find something! The best way to find out about lower key/less well known places is just tp chat to different people (especially those who've been around for a little longer). Failing that, Google is a wonderful thing and never fails to bring up new places to go and things to do! Also, I am still a firm believer that the best places are always found when you go exploring, without a clear idea of what you're after.

Both uni and selly oak (the most popular place students live after first year) have a train station, so wherever you want to go in the city is only a short journey away

I am from a smaller town myself and was apprehensive about moving to Brum for similar reasons to you, but I really would not change it for the world now and am so happy to be able to call it home
    Yeah! I definitely love big nights out, I enjoy going to Motion in Bristol/Fabric in London/Rise in Swansea etc if there's dnb/some house/techno nights on! Lots of my friends DJ smaller resident nights for loadsa different genres like dnb/house/techno/jungle but I'm just not sure if there are these nights in Birmingham that are nearby I'll be going to uni as a slightly older student (20) as I have already done a levels and had 2 gap years so I'm slightly worried that there'll only be big fresher club nights to go to, which don't get me wrong can be fun, but just not my usual thing to do every weekend!

Thank you so much for this reply! I'm also just wondering how long it takes from the campus to get to areas where there are nights out/gigs etc? And do the trains run throughout the night/early morning or would I have to get taxis? Sorry for all the questions! I'm in need of some advice haha. In Bristol everything is spread out but is mainly in the middle of town so it's easier to get to places and still be near your accommodation.

Thanks again!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosiedrysdale)
    Yeah! I definitely love big nights out, I enjoy going to Motion in Bristol/Fabric in London/Rise in Swansea etc if there's dnb/some house/techno nights on! Lots of my friends DJ smaller resident nights for loadsa different genres like dnb/house/techno/jungle but I'm just not sure if there are these nights in Birmingham that are nearby I'll be going to uni as a slightly older student (20) as I have already done a levels and had 2 gap years so I'm slightly worried that there'll only be big fresher club nights to go to, which don't get me wrong can be fun, but just not my usual thing to do every weekend!

Thank you so much for this reply! I'm also just wondering how long it takes from the campus to get to areas where there are nights out/gigs etc? And do the trains run throughout the night/early morning or would I have to get taxis? Sorry for all the questions! I'm in need of some advice haha. In Bristol everything is spread out but is mainly in the middle of town so it's easier to get to places and still be near your accommodation.

Thanks again!
    Haha no problem! Most venues are within a 20 min taxi journey at the most, and usually aren't more than a few quid each if there's a few of you sharing. Trains stopping at uni will run up to 11/12ish and are a couple of quid (less if you have a railcard). I get what you mean! As long as you don't mind taxis then you're on to a winner really. Not many places you can walk to though (both distance and safety/sensibility would be an issue) - the exception being going to uni nights or pub nights, as accommodation is within a 15min walk for the most part.

Hope this helps, I'm sure you'll be happy wherever you end up! I'd definitely recommend doing an open day and make a proper trip of it so that you can explore and enjoy the city.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sksh)
    Haha no problem! Most venues are within a 20 min taxi journey at the most, and usually aren't more than a few quid each if there's a few of you sharing. Trains stopping at uni will run up to 11/12ish and are a couple of quid (less if you have a railcard). I get what you mean! As long as you don't mind taxis then you're on to a winner really. Not many places you can walk to though (both distance and safety/sensibility would be an issue) - the exception being going to uni nights or pub nights, as accommodation is within a 15min walk for the most part.

Hope this helps, I'm sure you'll be happy wherever you end up! I'd definitely recommend doing an open day and make a proper trip of it so that you can explore and enjoy the city.

Good luck!
    Thank you for your response! I went to the psych applicant day in Bham a few days ago and realised that I definitely want to go there! So I confirmed my offer today

Thanks again for your insight, it has really helped and I cant wait to go now! x

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.