Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Books/Movies? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I've begun reading, (and watching!) series such as hunger games, divergent, The Maze Runner and even The Mortal Instruments (which I can highly recommend!)

However I'm slowly running out, so could anymone suggest anything with this sort of theme? Movie or book series, google searches are pretty futile at this point :/

Thank you so much for your help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeggiiMae)
    I've begun reading, (and watching!) series such as hunger games, divergent, The Maze Runner and even The Mortal Instruments (which I can highly recommend!)

However I'm slowly running out, so could anymone suggest anything with this sort of theme? Movie or book series, google searches are pretty futile at this point :/

I liked reading the Uglies series by Scott Westerfield - more dystopia for you. There's also the Twinmaker series by Sean Williams. These are the two I can think of right now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSRian123454321)
    I liked reading the Uglies series by Scott Westerfield - more dystopia for you. There's also the Twinmaker series by Sean Williams. These are the two I can think of right now.
    Ill give them a try, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Ill give them a try, thank you!
    happy to help

ReputationRep:

I highly recommend The Lux Series by J. Armentrout. Although the books have not been adapted into films, they are soon to be made! Awesome taste in books by the way

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twhiddy)
    I highly recommend The Lux Series by J. Armentrout. Although the books have not been adapted into films, they are soon to be made! Awesome taste in books by the way
    Awesome thank you! Could you give a quick summary of the series? Not to be a pain D:

Have a look at my book? :puppyeyes:

I can also recommend:
    The Magicians Trilogy (3 books, obviously)by Lev Grossman
    The Dresden Files (currently 16 books) by Jim Butcher
    The Nightside (12 books) by Simon R Green
    Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell

There's also the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov, which I'm working through myself right now. That's all I can think of off the top though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tootles)

I can also recommend:

There's also the Foundation series by Isaac Asimov, which I'm working through myself right now. That's all I can think of off the top though.
    You have a book? I'll be sure to give it a read if you give me a link

ReputationRep:
    Awesome thank you! Could you give a quick summary of the series? Not to be a pain D:
    Not at all! My friend recommended me the series, and I fell in love. She reads the same kinds of books you named so I thought I'd recommend. In summary, it's about a Book Vlogger named Katy who comes across beings made of light (The Luxen). She's attracted to one named Daemon Black.. need I say more! I was kind of wary of reading an alien based book series, but I absoloutely loved it and to be honest it opened me up to a whole new genre of fiction. I was so happy after I read the series, and continuously thanked my friend for recommending! If I were to criticise..I'd say the first books are rather bland but you do get to learn about the characters (I suppose every book series starts small) but the last books are like holy text to me. My favourite would definitely be Origin because..well I hope you do read and meet my favourite character.. Hope this helps, and if you do decide to read I hope you enjoy them as much as I did! (I feel like rereading them now!)

ReputationRep:

I can also recommend:

Hi! I'd also love to check out your book

ReputationRep:
    ooh, and I haven't read these yet, but I would still recommend Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury and 1984 by George Orwell - they're classics, and from the dystopian genre

ReputationRep:
    Not at all! My friend recommended me the series, and I fell in love. She reads the same kinds of books you named so I thought I'd recommend. In summary, it's about a Book Vlogger named Katy who comes across beings made of light (The Luxen). She's attracted to one named Daemon Black.. need I say more! I was kind of wary of reading an alien based book series, but I absoloutely loved it and to be honest it opened me up to a whole new genre of fiction. I was so happy after I read the series, and continuously thanked my friend for recommending! If I were to criticise..I'd say the first books are rather bland but you do get to learn about the characters (I suppose every book series starts small) but the last books are like holy text to me. My favourite would definitely be Origin because..well I hope you do read and meet my favourite character.. Hope this helps, and if you do decide to read I hope you enjoy them as much as I did! (I feel like rereading them now!)
    Wow thank you so much! Definitely sounds like my type of series! I'll see if I can order them now
    I'm sure I'll enjoy it so much!

ReputationRep:
    I keep remembering more books if your taste in books is anything like mine (which I quite highly suspect it is) hopefully you'll enjoy the Power of Five series by Anthony Horowitz. I just finished it, and well, I was interested enough to read through all five books (in about a week too, methinks), but yeah, maybe read the blurb somewhere first.

Another one - BZRK by Michael Grant

Aaand Shift by Kim Curran

Okay, so these books are more like sci-fi or urban fantasy, and I'm guessing you've already got more than enough recommendations, but just in case

Hi! I'd also love to check out your book
    I'm not sure if I can actually give you a link on here, because it's (probably) advertizing, but my name is Mark Tuson, and my book is called Journeyman. Though I should probably point out that it's only (currently) available on Kindle, because doing paperbacks myself is 'spensive.

There's a series by another TSRian, PinkMobilePhone, the Wolf Born books. I haven't managed read through it properly myself yet, but it's absolutely not your run-of-the-mill teenage werewolf heart-throb ********. I talk to Nat outside of here, and she's well-read on Classics and various mythologies, which she draws from in her books.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if I can actually give you a link on here, because it's (probably) advertizing, but my name is Mark Tuson, and my book is called Journeyman. Though I should probably point out that it's only (currently) available on Kindle, because doing paperbacks myself is 'spensive.

There's a series by another TSRian, PinkMobilePhone, the Wolf Born books. I haven't managed read through it properly myself yet, but it's absolutely not your run-of-the-mill teenage werewolf heart-throb ********. I talk to Nat outside of here, and she's well-read on Classics and various mythologies, which she draws from in her books.
    I will definitely give it a read!

If you're looking for a dystopia YA novel like THG and Divergent, there's The Program series (set in a world in which suicide is illegal), The Uglies (everyone gets an operation at eighteen to become 'pretty') and the Delirium* series (set in a world where a cure to love has been discovered and love is illegal).

The Testing series has a similar idea to the Hunger Games except they're competing for an education.

YA dystopia is my favourite. :laugh:

*I'd strongly reccomend the Delirium series, it's a very interesting concept although the idea does have some holes. (I try to pretend the third book didn't happen, but the first two books more than make up for it.)

ReputationRep:

Daughter of Smoke & Bone series is quite good! The Hush, Hush series is good too... Maggie Steifvater's Raven Boys (the fourth book is out this year) series is good, and I kinda enjoyed her Shiver series (it's about werewolves - but it's not the typical werewolf series) is good! And Kendare Blake's 'Goddess War' series is brilliant (just finished the last book). Those are the only book series I can think of at the moment (although my book shelf is FULL of books).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acupofgreentea)
    If you're looking for a dystopia YA novel like THG and Divergent, there's The Program series (set in a world in which suicide is illegal), The Uglies (everyone gets an operation at eighteen to become 'pretty' and the Delirium* series (set in a world where a cure to love has been discovered and love is illegal).

The Testing series has a similar idea to the Hunger Games except they're competing for an education.

YA dystopia is my favourite. :laugh:

*I'd strongly reccomend the Delirium series, it's a very interesting concept although the idea does have some holes. (I try to pretend the third book didn't happen, but the first two books more than make up for it.)
    (Original post by ellsy95)
    Daughter of Smoke & Bone series is quite good! The Hush, Hush series is good too... Maggie Steifvater's Raven Boys (the fourth book is out this year) series is good, and I kinda enjoyed her Shiver series (it's about werewolves - but it's not the typical werewolf series) is good! And Kendare Blake's 'Goddess War' series is brilliant (just finished the last book). Those are the only book series I can think of at the moment (although my book shelf is FULL of books).
    Gosh I'm missing out on so many good series! Will definitely get round to reading these all, they all sound so interesting!

(Original post by ellsy95)
    Yes! How could I forget The Raven Boys?! Absolutely brilliant!

While we're at it, I just remembered - the Gone series by Michael Grant. Basically, one day, all people over fifteen disappear and all those left behind have to try and figure things out - it's not for the faint of heart, but one of the things I respect about it is that it doesn't shy away from the realties of what would happen in this situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by acupofgreentea)
    Yes! How could I forget The Raven Boys?! Absolutely brilliant!

While we're at it, I just remembered - the Gone series by Michael Grant. Basically, one day, all people over fifteen disappear and all those left behind have to try and figure things out - it's not for the faint of heart, but one of the things I respect about it is that it doesn't shy away from the realties of what would happen in this situation.
    So glad I bought my kindle last year! I think this many books would break my bookshelf

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 26, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.