Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

English AQA Unit 2 Poetry: Relationships Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I'm currently in year 11 and I've got my GCSE's this year. I'm wondering what is the best way to achieve top marks on the AQA Poetry unit ( I'm doing the relationships cluster). Which sites are the best for analysing the poems? What aspects of each poem should I look for?Would I get more marks for using my own ideas?

Thank you in advance for your reply!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shezzay)
    Hi,
    I'm currently in year 11 and I've got my GCSE's this year. I'm wondering what is the best way to achieve top marks on the AQA Poetry unit ( I'm doing the relationships cluster). Which sites are the best for analysing the poems? What aspects of each poem should I look for?Would I get more marks for using my own ideas?

Thank you in advance for your reply!
    Hey
    The best thing to do is to analyse them all first as you would an individual poem, reading them and thinking about what the interpretation is, and then going through and looking for language features, then thinking about the meaning of them in relation to the ideas you had about the poem Once you've done this for all poems in the cluster, start to make lists of the common themes in the poems - some might cover familial love, some passionate, some unrequited. Group them together and use venn diagrams to figure out the similarities and differences in the groups You can compare across themes too, and this should be easier after you're more aware of the poems

It's definitely best to use a good mix of high level interpretations that your teacher might have hinted at or you've discussed in class, and your own unique interpretations. If there's one line that can be interpreted in two ways, write both of them and you'll get extra marks for being aware

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.