The Student Room Group

A Tale of a GCSE Student: my road to success!

Hey guys! Welcome to my blog

:bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl::bl:

Mock results, predictions and personal targets
Biology: A*, A*, A*
Chemistry: A*, A*, A*
Physics: A*, A*, A*
Food Technology: A*, A, A
History: A*, A*, A*
Religious Studies: A*, A*, A*
German: A*, A*,A*
ICT: A, A, A*
Maths- A, A, A
English Language: , A, B, A
English Lit: not tested, B, B

What I'm going to do
- Revise consistently from February half term
-1-2 hours on a school night
2-3 hours at weekends
I'm starting of light by mainly reading the revision guide, making flash cards on the content and testing myself(by making my own questions up). Closer to exam season I'm going to start doing past papers and increase my revision hours to 4-5 hour at weekends and study leave(around late April- end of June).
(edited 6 years ago)
Woah, no pressure or anything from your sibling/parents :tongue:

Your plan sounds good. Best of luck! :biggrin:
Today was a good day, I got my English poetry back and I managed to get in band 5, although it's not the top band I'm really proud of myself because the last time we didpoetry I got in band 3, hopefully on my next essay I'll get higher . If anyone has any tips on getting into band 6( unit 2 poetry stuff for GCSE) I'd appreciate it 😁I also got my chemistry back and I got 92% ^.^
Attachment not found
Attachment not found
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Hey guys! Welcome to my blog

Mock results
Biology-A*
Chemistry-A*
Physics-A*
History-A*
Religious Studies-A*
English Language-A
German-A
ICT-A
Food Technology-A*
Maths-B
Statistics-A(already achieved)

So 6A*s,4 As and 1B

Aims
I hope to replicate if not better my results on results day and get maths up to an A or A*.
Would also like an A or A* in English literature( but wasn't tested for that yet).
I suppose I would like to get an award from my school for one of the best GCSE results or doing the best in one subject as my siblings achieved this at GCSE and A level and my parents are sort of expecting it. It will be very hard though as every year a few people get over 9-10 A*s so it's unrealistic but here's hoping.....:colondollar:

What I'm going to do
I haven't started to revise for my GCSEs yet as I just finished my mocks and not sure where to start. I will probably settle down to do some work at February half term and finish off all my notes and basically just read and do past papers till then, seriously need to organise myself though.

Any updates for today?
So today I started with some chemistry revision, managed to nail 3 topics in c1! Hoping to finish all of unit 1 by the end of the half term.
Made some flash cards though which took ages
image.jpg

Also managed to finish all of the number section in maths which didn't take long at all! I have about 2 past papers to do from my teacher though! So hard to revise when teachers bombard you with homework. I have about 2 pieces from each individual subject :frown:
Original post by TheOtherSide.
Any updates for today?

Your comment motivated me! :smile:
Original post by ScienceFantatic
Your comment motivated me! :smile:

I'm not even sure which one did, but I'm happy to hear that you got lots of work done! :biggrin:
Reply 7
Hi! I'm also doing my IGCSEs :smile: What is your examboard?
Your mock results are really good! If you don't mind me asking, what is your main revision technique?
Original post by eli.ora
Hi! I'm also doing my IGCSEs :smile: What is your examboard?
Your mock results are really good! If you don't mind me asking, what is your main revision technique?

I do CIE for IGCSE English language but for everything else AQA, edexcel and WJEC

I don't mind at all! So mostly I just copy out the textbook or revision guide and highlight and read them out to myself, but what I've really found to be effective are flash cards or just making up your own questions and answering them on a rough piece of paper . I write in a different colour what i missed(if I did), so if I'm doing last minute revision I'll know what I didn't get/remember the first time around. Reading the exam board spec is pretty important too

Past papers are also good especially for the sciences and you can make notes from the mark schemes.

Good luck :smile:
Update: so I managed a fair bit today!

Today I started the day really pumped to do some English lit: AIC revision just after finishing the season 1 teen wolf finale( a series which I started yesterday oops).
Attachment not found

Wrote about 3000 words and the notes are pretty awesome if I do say so myself :biggrin:

Also managed some history revision, finished part 2 of the Vietnam topic, there's so much to revise for all of it though and I have a test when I get back :/
image.jpg

And lastly I read through and highlighted the flash cards I made for my mocks( vegetable oils topic)!

Was also considering doing some maths, but you know it's midnight and that and I'm pretty sure I'm addicted to teen wolf but still need to finish the walking dead... So conflicted.

Tomorrow I'm hoping to actually do so maths and start physics as I keep putting that off and maybe actually reading my notes for History as that scares me too... Lol
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 10
How are things going recently? Haven't seen an update in quite a long time.
Original post by _TomG_
How are things going recently? Haven't seen an update in quite a long time.

Haha just living life really! My GCSEs went really well I think, bar maths and should hopefully get my personal targets.

Doing biology, chemistry, history and economics next year :smile:. No revision over summer.

How are things with you?
Reply 12
Glad to hear! Things are great right know, moving into Year 10 in September so that should be fun. Apart from that being playing XBOX and watching The Big bang theory.

How's the holidays been for you?
That is soo good
Any revision tips?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Great blog! Did you meet your targets? :smile:
Original post by Joshiee
Great blog! Did you meet your targets? :smile:

I exceeded them yes! And met my own personal predictions( 7 A*s 4 As)
(edited 7 years ago)
I am studying all other subjects well but maths is slightly difficult..

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending