Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    I quite get you - it's a shame that they've stripped all the calculus from Physics - it used to have tons of maths back in the day, or so I heard.
    Yeah I heard the same thing, quite a shame really as Physics at university level uses a ton of calculus..

It's quite dry, although the expectation algebra and combinations of variables is actually very interesting. The questions are a bit monotone though - so on the whole, bit above average in terms of enjoyability. :-)

What modules have you finished learning and what do you have left, by the way? I have the entirety of Physics A2 to learn sometime in March. :lol:
    I'm not a fan of the statistics modules, not hard, just very very dull, I prefer mechanics
    I've finished FP2, S2 and C3. I'm on Integration with FP3 and haven't started M2 or C4 yet .

I might speed through C4 though, especially vectors; haven't done them for a while. Good preparation for the beating I'm probably gonna get with FP3 vectors :sad:

I haven't done much Physics either :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edothero)
    I might speed through C4 though, especially vectors; haven't done them for a while. Good preparation for the beating I'm probably gonna get with FP3 vectors :sad:
    FP3 vectors aren't actually that bad!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    FP3 vectors aren't actually that bad!

My teacher says it's the hardest thing in FP3!

ReputationRep:
    Noooo! FP3 vectors is quite nice, really.

ReputationRep:
    So what I am doing is:

Edexcel book
    CGP book
    Solomon Worksheets
    Review questions edexcel

All exam papers
    Solomon press tests
    elmwood if i have time

is this enough?

ReputationRep:
    hardest thing in FP3 is conics, but I just suck at them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mihael_Keehl)
    So what I am doing is:

Edexcel book
    CGP book
    Solomon Worksheets
    Review questions edexcel

All exam papers
    Solomon press tests
    elmwood if i have time

is this enough?
    Do IYGB as well

ReputationRep:
    Do IYGB as well
    thanks, will take a look :P

ReputationRep:
    So what I am doing is:

Edexcel book
    CGP book
    Solomon Worksheets
    Review questions edexcel

All exam papers
    Solomon press tests
    elmwood if i have time

is this enough?
    jfc how do you have time to do all that...

What I'm doing:
    Random textbook Q's
    12 past papers

rip me

ReputationRep:
    jfc how do you have time to do all that...

What I'm doing:
    Random textbook Q's
    12 past papers

rip me
    well tbh I don't do chapter 1 no need. Its mainly just vectors tbh. I started back in September so I should cover everything I estimate by April.

And for the papers you are doing - the R papers and ial ones right?

ReputationRep:
    well tbh I don't do chapter 1 no need. Its mainly just vectors tbh. I started back in September so I should cover everything I estimate by April.

And for the papers you are doing - the R papers and ial ones right?
    I was talking about modules in general - I've already sat C4, just did like ~10 papers for that and it was fine, I think you're over working yourself. It's a simple module.

ReputationRep:
    I was talking about modules in general - I've already sat C4, just did like ~10 papers for that and it was fine, I think you're over working yourself. It's a simple module.
    oh right okay.

When you do past papers do you do them under exam conditions - e.g. timed etc.

Any hard papers you recall :P

And yeah it is.

ReputationRep:
    hardest thing in FP3 is conics, but I just suck at them
    Haha I find Conics the easiest and Vectors the hardest

ReputationRep:
    Yeah what the other person is doing is waayyy overkill baring in mind she has 12 modules (or 9 I forget). I Just do all the past papers after having done all the exercises in the book.

ReputationRep:
    Noooo! FP3 vectors is quite nice, really.
    I agree ^

I was convinced I hated linear algebra until I watched a couple of lectures online and now I really enjoy it :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Euclidean)
    I agree ^

I was convinced I hated linear algebra until I watched a couple of lectures online and now I really enjoy it :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Eigenvectors/values are... :love:

ReputationRep:
    When integrating by parts, how do you know what to put as u and \frac{dv}{dx}?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackdiamond97)
    Usually you want to chose u and \mathrm{d}v such that it makes v \frac{\mathrm{d}u}{\mathrm{d}x} something that is trivial or easy to integrate.

Example: if you wanted to do x \ln x, setting \mathrm{d}v = \ln x would be a folly, you'd just make things immeasurably more complicated. Instead: u = \ln x and \mathrm{d}v = x works out nicely and it's fairly obvious to see why.

There's a list of some kind that people use for knowing which types of functions to use as u and such, but I think it's a load of crock and instead it's far better to develop your intuition through practice.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    As above.

It'll be trial and error first, but you'll soon spot which one is which once you apply the formula enough times.

ReputationRep:
    As a general rule of thumb, choose u in order of precedence as follows:

1. log(x)
    2. x^n

So if there's a natural logarithm, generally you want to make that your u term just because it's derivative is far simpler than it's integral. Otherwise an x^n term is preferred if there is one

Aside from these two, it really comes down to inspection, what is going to make life easier for you especially considering the second integral you'll have to evaluate

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.