Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k.russell)
    Wow was that 2016 January? I saw that had crazy high UMS boundaries - still I would be over the moon if I can get a 98% UMS average in my core congratulations - did you do international M2?
    I was particularly annoyed because the only reason I dropped a mark was because I gave a correct answer in a slightly neater form than was asked for in the question, one mark dropped. Annoying.

Yeah, I did international C1-4, M1-3, S1-3, FP1-3.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Zacken. Sorry to disturb you but just wondering will I get the correct marks for this method if I get the right answer:

So for finding the solutions I don't use the cast diagram, but a set of rules.

E.g. for cos: do 360- etc

Because some Qs say "Solutions based entirely on graphical or numerical methods are not acceptible"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KINGYusuf)
    Hi Zacken. Sorry to disturb you but just wondering will I get the correct marks for this method if I get the right answer:

So for finding the solutions I don't use the cast diagram, but a set of rules.

E.g. for cos: do 360- etc

Because some Qs say "Solutions based entirely on graphical or numerical methods are not acceptible"

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's fine, you just can't use iterative methods or trial and error.

ReputationRep:
    Tyvm

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Fml I barely had any time to revise for C4 and S2, I'm completely fcked, I just started vectors for the first time and I'm rubbish at them. Bye bye university, just bye bye a good future my parents will kill me

ReputationRep:
    Lol dw. I crammed M1 in like 2 days and mastered Vectors in 1

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KINGYusuf)
    Lol dw. I crammed M1 in like 2 days and mastered Vectors in 1

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Htf did you do that? What resources did you use?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Exam Solution and did most of the Qs kn the textbook

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In c4 solomon A can anyone explain to be how to do question 6a?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ainsleyy)

I hope this is clear enough!

ReputationRep:
    Use the funky angle splitting formulas from C3
    Basically the idea is that cos(5x) = cos(3x + 2x) = cos3xcos2x - sin3xsin2x
    while cos(x) = cos(3x - 2x) = cos3xcos2x + sin3xsin2x
    Hence cos(x) - cos(5x) = 2sin3xsin2x

ReputationRep:
    Use the product to sum identities:
    This one-------cosP-cosQ

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone. Should I know that I have to use some kind of identity because we cant integrate it straight away? and then just look through the identities till i find one that fits? or should I remember that specific example?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone. Should I know that I have to use some kind of identity because we cant integrate it straight away? and then just look through the identities till i find one that fits? or should I remember that specific example?
    You should remember that if you have something like sin(px)sin(qx) or sin(px)cos(qx) you can use those identities on it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Use the funky angle splitting formulas from C3
    Basically the idea is that cos(5x) = cos(3x + 2x) = cos3xcos2x - sin3xsin2x
    while cos(x) = cos(3x - 2x) = cos3xcos2x + sin3xsin2x
    Hence cos(x) - cos(5x) = 2sin3xsin2x
    Is this like a standard integral that we could expect :/? I've never seen the factor formula been used before except maybe once XD

ReputationRep:
    13 1 20 8 42 Also, would it not be possible to use the cosA - CosB = -2Sin(A+B/2)Sin(A-B/2) expression?

So -1/2[Cos4x - Cos2x] = Sin3xSin2x?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Pedro K.)
    Is this like a standard integral that we could expect :/? I've never seen the factor formula been used before except maybe once XD
    It is unlikely. Solomon papers have a habit of being a bit "off" relative to what you should expect. However it is good to know this integral. I think it came up in FP2 last year and the integration in that is all just C4 level (further integration starts in FP3) so it seems Edexcel are willing to use it.

ReputationRep:
    It is unlikely. Solomon papers have a habit of being a bit "off" relative to what you should expect. However it is good to know this integral. I think it came up in FP2 last year and the integration in that is all just C4 level (further integration starts in FP3) so it seems Edexcel are willing to use it.
    Okay, I will keep it in mind. I have a feeling Edexcel may decide to continue their streak of stupidity this year and pull something like this out of the bag... XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Don Pedro K.)
    13 1 20 8 42 Also, would it not be possible to use the cosA - CosB = -2Sin(A+B/2)Sin(A-B/2) expression?

So -1/2[Cos4x - Cos2x] = Sin3xSin2x?
    That is the expression being used essentially. But A = 4x, B = 2x gives (A - B)/2 = 2x/2 = x, not 2x; you need A = 5x and B = x

ReputationRep:
    That is the expression being used essentially. But A = 4x, B = 2x gives (A - B)/2 = 2x/2 = x, not 2x; you need A = 5x and B = x
    ahhh whoops okay yeah that's a mistake on my part xD Sorry

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.