Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBeyond)
    Fair probs should have guessed Camb?
    He's not that good.

ReputationRep:
    These problems are getting somewhat above c4 standard..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    These problems are getting somewhat above c4 standard..
    :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    3. Using \theta \mapsto \frac{\pi}{4} - \theta, evaluate: \displaystyle \int_0^{\pi/4} \ln (1 + \tan \theta) \, \mathrm{d}\theta.

Extension: Evaluate \displaystyle \int_0^{1} \frac{\ln (1 + x)}{1+x^2} \, \mathrm{d}x.
    4. Evaluate \displaystyle \int_0^{\pi/2} \ln \sin \theta \, \mathrm{d}\theta using a similar substitution to my other integral.

5. Generalise this substitution and prove that it holds for all smoothly behaved f when evaluating \displaystyle \int_a^b f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x
    Saving these beauties for later

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Euclidean)
    Saving these beauties for later
    Let me know how you get on. :yep:

4. Evaluate \displaystyle \int_0^{\pi/2} \ln \sin \theta \, \mathrm{d}\theta using a similar substitution to my other integral.

5. Generalise this substitution and prove that it holds for all smoothly behaved f when evaluating \displaystyle \int_a^b f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x
    Ffs misread your first question here and have been trying to integrate ln(1+sinx) instead and getting absolutely nowhere

ReputationRep:
    If I say x \mapsto f(x), I'm really just making a substitution u = f(x) then u=x. :-)

Well if you call your integral I - then you have I = \ln 2 - I.

(although that's not quite correct, use that idea).
    I've never seen that before. I still don't know what to do though. If I let the original integral = I and mine = J, I have that J = the integral of ln(2) - I? Is that the right idea?

ReputationRep:
    :teehee:
    I just hope if any non-STEPers/maths students/general maths enthusiasts see them they don't get too scared..

I'll throw in a standard that everyone should know to level the balance

\displaystyle \int \sqrt{1 + cosx} dx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fudge2)
    I've never seen that before. I still don't know what to do though. If I let the original integral = I and mine = J, I have that J = the integral of ln(2) - I? Is that the right idea?
    Don't worry about not seeing it before, it's a little advanced.

If we let the original integral be I = \int_0^{\pi/4} \ln (1 + \tan \theta) \, \mathrm{d}\theta, then our substitution gives us:

\displaystyle I = \int_0^{\pi/4} \ln 2 - \ln (1 + \tan\theta) \, \mathrm{d}\theta = \int_0^{\pi/4} \ln 2 \, \mathrm{d}\theta - \int_0^{\pi/4} \ln(1+\tan\theta) \, \mathrm{d}\theta

Which is just: I = \int_0^{\pi/4} \ln 2 \, \mathrm{d}\theta - I, so you can re-arrange and solve for I.

ReputationRep:
    Ffs misread your first question here and have been trying to integrate ln(1+sinx) instead and getting absolutely nowhere
    Yeah, the mis-read one is a hard one. The definite integral is given in terms of Catalan's constant: 2\mathcal{C} - \frac{\pi}{2}\ln 2. :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about not seeing it before, it's a little advanced.

If we let the original integral be I = \int_0^{\pi/4} \ln (1 + \tan \theta) \, \mathrm{d}\theta, then our substitution gives us:

\displaystyle I = \int_0^{\pi/4} \ln 2 - \ln (1 + \tan\theta) \, \mathrm{d}\theta = \int_0^{\pi/4} \ln 2 \, \mathrm{d}\theta - \int_0^{\pi/4} \ln(1+\tan\theta) \, \mathrm{d}\theta

Which is just: I = \int_0^{\pi/4} \ln 2 \, \mathrm{d}\theta - I, so you can re-arrange and solve for I.
    Haha I was kinda hoping that was the case! That's really neat though. I got pi/8ln2...?

ReputationRep:
    Haha I was kinda hoping that was the case! That's really neat though. I got pi/8ln2...?
    Yeah, nothing like this would ever come up on a C4 paper. That's correct, good work!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, nothing like this would ever come up on a C4 paper. That's correct, good work!
    Wooo! Thanks for your guidance

ReputationRep:
    Wooo! Thanks for your guidance
    Enjoyed it?

Spoiler:
    Show
    Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1456765243.094154.jpg
Views: 46
Size:  103.3 KB

Wasn't so sure about this one but I got -pi/2(ln2) ? I attached my solution as I'm almost sure this is wrong
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Enjoyed it?
    Yeah! Despite the fact I'll probably never have to use that trick again it was cool...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    \displaystyle \int \sqrt{1 + cosx} dx
    2\sqrt{2}sin\frac{x}{2} + C

Spoiler:
    Show
    cos2x = 2cos^{2}x-1

cosx = 2cos^{2}(\frac{x}{2})-1

\therefore 1+cosx = 2cos^{2}(\frac{x}{2})

\displaystyle \int \sqrt{2cos^{2}(\dfrac{x}{2})}\ dx \ \rightarrow\ \sqrt{2}\displaystyle \int \sqrt{cos^{2}(\dfrac{x}{2})}\ dx

\sqrt{2} \times \dfrac{1}{0.5}sin(\dfrac{x}{2}) + C

(\dfrac{1}{\frac{1}{2}} doesn't look nice lmao)

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Wasn't so sure about this one but I got -pi/2(ln2) ? I attached my solution as I'm almost sure this is wrong
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep, that's fine. But unwieldy but it works. Now try doing the general case.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah! Despite the fact I'll probably never have to use that trick again it was cool...
    I've used it a hundred times over when doing integration problems, not at C4 level, but you'll see. :-)

Yep, that's fine. But unwieldy but it works. Now try doing the general case.
    Is there a quicker way of doing that? Buzzing with that though ahah didn't even know about this trick until today. I think that might be a bit past my level lol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.