Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBeyond)
    You and other might enjoy this, I'll give a bit of guidance to ease things out.

6. Prove that \displaystyle \int_0^{\pi} xf(\sin x) \, \mathrm{d}x = \frac{\pi}{2}\int_0^{\pi} f(\sin x) \, \mathrm{d}x

7. Evaluate \displaystyle \int_0^{\pi} x\ln(\sin x) \, \mathrm{d}x

ReputationRep:
    Is there a quicker way of doing that? Buzzing with that though ahah didn't even know about this trick until today. I think that might be a bit past my level lol
    Slightly, but not by very much. I'll post it up later if you want. :yep:

The general trick is if we have a well enough behaved f, then:

\displaystyle 

\begin{equation*}\int_a^b f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x = \int_a^b f(a + b - x) \, \mathrm{d}x \end{equation*}

by using the substitution x \mapsto a + b - x. :-)

(Original post by Zacken)
    Slightly, but not by very much. I'll post it up later if you want. :yep:

The general trick is if we have a well enough behaved f, then:

\displaystyle 

\begin{equation*}\int_a^b f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x = \int_a^b f(a + b - x) \, \mathrm{d}x \end{equation*}

by using the substitution x \mapsto a + b - x. :-)
    So is that a rule we could quote at a-level? (Not that I'd ever need to tbf ahah)

6. Prove that \displaystyle \int_0^{\pi} xf(\sin x) \, \mathrm{d}x = \frac{\pi}{2}\int_0^{\pi} f(\sin x) \, \mathrm{d}x

I'm tutoring in 15 mins but I'll have a look later, cheers!

ReputationRep:
    So is that a rule we could quote at a-level? (Not that I'd ever need to tbf ahah)
    Well, not quite sure why you'd need to quote it. It's literally write down u = a + b - x and you're done in one line.

I'm tutoring in 15 mins but I'll have a look later, cheers!
    Awesome, have fun. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I think that's enough Maths for me for today...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I = \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\pi} xf(\mathrm{sin}x) \mathrm{d}x

y=\pi - x

\dfrac{dy}{dx} = -1\ \ \therefore - dy = dx

=\displaystyle -\int_{0}^{\pi} (\pi - y)f(\mathrm{sin}(\pi - y)) \mathrm{d}y

Going back to:

y=\pi - x

- dy = dx

And expanding (\pi - x)f(sinx)

=\displaystyle \pi\int_{0}^{\pi} f(\mathrm{sin}x) \mathrm{d}x - \displaystyle \int_{0}^{\pi} x f(\mathrm{sin}x) \mathrm{d}x

\therefore I = \displaystyle \pi\int_{0}^{\pi} f(\mathrm{sin}x) \mathrm{d}x - I

2I = \displaystyle \pi\int_{0}^{\pi} f(\mathrm{sin}x) \mathrm{d}x

I = \displaystyle \dfrac{\pi}{2}\int_{0}^{\pi} f(\mathrm{sin}x) \mathrm{d}x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edothero)
    I think that's enough Maths for me for today...
    :borat: Awesome work.

ReputationRep:

6 better not be a C4 past question. Jheez

7 looks easy though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawliettt)
    6 better not be a C4 past question. Jheez

7 looks easy though
    6 is far easier than 7. But no, none of these are past exam questions. Just really extension-y ones.

I don't like vectors :getmecoat:
    Too repetitive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Too repetitive
    Nobody likes vectors...

ReputationRep:
    Too repetitive
    They're actually pretty fun if you look at them outside the treatment that A-Level gives them!

ReputationRep:
    6 is far easier than 7. But no, none of these are past exam questions. Just really extension-y ones.
    7 just looks like it can be done using intergration by parts. There wouldn't be much thinking involved in that case. That being said, I haven't attempted them yet. I'll try later.

On another note, I literally haven't started vectors at all. And I know they're also in M1. How long will it take for me to learn C4 and M1 vectors from scratch?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lawliettt)
    7 just looks like it can be done using intergration by parts. There wouldn't be much thinking involved in that case. That being said, I haven't attempted them yet. I'll try later.
    You'd be best served using the result from question 6 to do question 7. There'd quite a bit of thinking involved, methinks. Have a go.

On another note, I literally haven't started vectors at all. And I know they're also in M1. How long will it take for me to learn C4 and M1 vectors from scratch?
    A few hours.

(Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Nobody likes vectors...
    Glad to know I'm not alone

They're actually pretty fun if you look at them outside the treatment that A-Level gives them!
    Nah, cba doing that :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Struggling for maths motivation

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thad33)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :five:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :hugs:
    Just remember that you need to meet an offer for a uni (if uni's your plan) and that should motivate you :yep:

ReputationRep:
    :hugs:
    Just remember that you need to meet an offer for a uni (if uni's your plan) and that should motivate you :yep:
    You'd think it would. I might do a few days of Chem instead.

I'll be majorly ****ed off if I don't get an A* after this.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You'd think it would. I might do a few days of Chem instead.

I'll be majorly ****ed off if I don't get an A* after this.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's honestly how I feel every time I see a question on vectors

But remember that you need to distribute your work accordingly to all your subjects to maximise your grades in all three

That said, I do more work for maths (so much homework ) than an other subject, and I'm least fussed about not getting A* in Maths aha

ReputationRep:
    That's honestly how I feel every time I see a question on vectors

But remember that you need to distribute your work accordingly to all your subjects to maximise your grades in all three

That said, I do more work for maths (so much homework ) than an other subject, and I'm least fussed about not getting A* in Maths aha
    I've done far too much on trig the past few days. I can't wait until past papers so it isn't so monotonous.

Vectors are **** as well. I think I only really like calculus.

I just seem to work better when I revise in chunks of certain subjects. I'll try and do half Chem half maths for the next week so I don't get too bored.

Right, back to the grind...

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.