The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by EricPiphany
Riemann sums actually don't converge if the function is unbounded on the interval. In order to define the integral, you have to split the interval up and take limits at every asymptote, like here http://www.sosmath.com/calculus/improper/intro/intro.html
I was thinking a little about this yesterday, the reason the Riemann sum fails seems to be because the Riemann sum allows for overestimation of the area, or more exactly, no matter how small the partition, we can choose a value of the function in the unbounded section as large as we want, making the area as large as we want. But not all this area lies under the curve.
Capture.PNG

That seems to make sense with regards to the overestimation, thank you for sharing the link too, that site is a gold mine.
Original post by samb1234
Just a suggestion, I personally don't have an issue with it but you might want to move this conversation. Since this is the C4 thread, some people might not realise that these are questions that are well beyond the level of c4 at times and cause them to worry that they aren't able to answer them. Just something to consider, nice questions though I enjoyed them.

Original post by edothero
All questions here (if not most of them) are accessible with C4 knowledge, by no means are they easy or questions that you'll find in an Edexcel exam, but its good for people to try them. Though I definitely understand where you're coming from

Indeed, as Zacken said these are very much extensions to understanding of the A-Level content. Perhaps we should make it clear by means of bold text that problems posted are in fact outside of the scope of the A-Level exam but require only A-Level knowledge.
Quick Q

In which situations is it sensible to take out numbers out of integrals, like 1/ln2 in this example?

_20160306_220336.JPG
I genuinely don't know when to do that. I haven't ever been taught :indiff:

Thanks!
Original post by Serine Soul
Quick Q

In which situations is it sensible to take out numbers out of integrals, like 1/ln2 in this example?

If you've got any integral of the form λf(x)dx\displaystyle \int \lambda f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x then that is equivalent to:

Unparseable latex formula:

\displaystyle[br]\begin{equation*} \int \lambda f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x= \lambda \int f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x\end{equation*}

for all integrable ff and all λR\lambda \in \mathbb{R}.

Some examples for clarification:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}\int 2(x+1) \, \mathrm{d}x = 2\int (x+1) \, \mathrm{d}x\end{equation*}

\displaystyle[br]\begin{equation*} \int 2x + 1 \, \mathrm{d}x = \int 2\left(x + \frac{1}{2}\right) \, \mathrm{d}x = 2\int x + \frac{1}{2} \, \mathrm{d}x \neq 2 \int x+1 \, \mathrm{d}x\end{equation*}

(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
If you've got any integral of the form λf(x)dx\displaystyle \int \lambda f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x then that is equivalent to:

\displaystyle[br]\begin{equation*} \int \lambda f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x= \lambda \int f(x) \, \mathrm{d}x\end{equation*}

for all integrable ff and all λR\lambda \in \mathbb{R}.

Some examples for clarification:

2(x+1)dx=2(x+1)dx\displaystyle \int 2(x+1) \, \mathrm{d}x = 2\int (x+1) \, \mathrm{d}x

2x+1dx=2x+12dx2x+1dx\displaystyle \int 2x + 1 \, \mathrm{d}x = 2\int x + \frac{1}{2} \, \mathrm{d}x \neq 2 \int x+1 \, \mathrm{d}x

PRSOM
(All that latex I can see when I quote)

Thanks, that makes a lot more sense now. I'll definitely try to practice more integration with that in mind now!
PRSOM
(All that latex I can see when I quote)

It looks like English to me. :lol:

Thanks, that makes a lot more sense now. I'll definitely try to practice more integration with that in mind now!

No problem; it's certainly very useful for simplifying things. It's also quite nice (not sure if this is C4 or not, apologies if it isn't), let's say I want to integrate this:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}\int xe^{6x^2} \, \mathrm{d}x\end{equation*}

I know that it looks very similar to a f(x)ef(x)f'(x)e^{f(x)} form which integrates to ef(x)e^{f(x)} (you know why, right?) but it's not quite. Instead we have ddx(6x2)=12x\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x} (6x^2) = 12x, so what I really want is a 12xe6x212xe^{6x^2}, but that's not what I have. Instead of crying over that and being sad, let's pop in the 1212 there because we're badass (but also fix our damage, because we're nice like that!), what I mean is:

\displaystyle \begin{equation*}\int xe^{6x^2} \, \mathrm{d}x = \frac{1}{12} \int 12xe^{6x^2} \, \mathrm{d}x = \frac{1}{12}e^{6x^2 } + c\end{equation*}

If you want to have a go, have a stab at 11+5xdx\int \frac{1}{1 + 5x} \, \mathrm{d}x. We know that it's almost of the form f(x)f(x)\frac{f'(x)}{f(x)} which integrates nicely to lnf(x)\ln f(x), but it's not quite in that form, what do you need to do to get it in that form?

Edit to add: sorry if you don't care about any of this and I'm just waffling on like an idiot. :lol:
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Zacken
It looks like English to me. :lol:

No problem; it's certainly very useful for simplifying things. It's also quite nice (not sure if this is C4 or not, apologies if it isn't), let's say I want to integrate this:

\displaystyle [br]\begin{equation*}\int xe^{6x^2} \, \mathrm{d}x\end{equation*}

I know that it looks very similar to a f(x)ef(x)f'(x)e^{f(x)} form which integrates to ef(x)e^{f(x)} (you know why, right?) but it's not quite. Instead we have ddx(6x2)=12x\frac{\mathrm{d}}{\mathrm{d}x} (6x^2) = 12x, so what I really want is a 12xe6x212xe^{6x^2}, but that's not what I have. Instead of crying over that and being sad, let's pop in the 1212 there because we're badass (but also fix our damage, because we're nice like that!), what I mean is:

\displaystyle \begin{equation*}\int xe^{6x^2} \, \mathrm{d}x = \frac{1}{12} \int 12xe^{6x^2} \, \mathrm{d}x = \frac{1}{12}e^{6x^2 } + c\end{equation*}

If you want to have a go, have a stab at 11+5xdx\int \frac{1}{1 + 5x} \, \mathrm{d}x. We know that it's almost of the form f(x)f(x)\frac{f'(x)}{f(x)} which integrates nicely to lnf(x)\ln f(x), but it's not quite in that form, what do you need to do to get it in that form?

Edit to add: sorry if you don't care about any of this and I'm just waffling on like an idiot. :lol:

Thanks so much! My teacher actually just went over this in our last maths lesson and I kind of get it :yep:
I'll try that question some time later, need to prep for a bio test :colonhash:
Thanks so much! My teacher actually just went over this in our last maths lesson and I kind of get it :yep:
I'll try that question some time later, need to prep for a bio test :colonhash:

Sure thing! Quote me with your answer/reasoning and I'll be happy to up the ante. :teehee:
Original post by Zacken

(1/5)ln(1+5x)
I do it quicker with logs for some reason :colonhash:
(1/5)ln(1+5x)
I do it quicker with logs for some reason :colonhash:

Yeees, lovely! What about 4x+6x(x+3)dx\displaystyle \int \frac{4x + 6}{x(x+3)} \, \mathrm{d}x
2ln(x^2 + 3x)
@Zacken
(edited 8 years ago)
2ln(x^2 + 3x)

Awesome, good stuff. I'll leave you alone now. :lol:
Original post by Zacken
Awesome, good stuff. I'll leave you alone now. :lol:

Haha, thanks

Rather do this than look blankly at my biology textbook

Female menstrual cycle...riveting
Haha, thanks

Rather do this than look blankly at my biology textbook

Female menstrual cycle...riveting

We'll make a mathematician out of you yet. :lol:

Sounds fascinating, I wouldn't want to know so much about my own body. :rofl:
Reply 554
I've just finished Vectors and I'm doing the mixed exericise questions now, but I feel like theres just so many things on Vectors to know and for the questions Ive done so far, I have to keep flicking back through my notes to remeber how to do some of them.

Does anyone have any advice or tips that could help?

Thanks guys:smile:
Original post by boyyo

Does anyone have any advice or tips that could help?

Thanks guys:smile:

Practice a ton of questions. You'll get the hang of it.
Original post by Zacken
We'll make a mathematician out of you yet. :lol:

Sounds fascinating, I wouldn't want to know so much about my own body. :rofl:

You have menstrual cycles? :erm: :wtf:
Original post by Student403
You have menstrual cycles? :erm: :wtf:

I thought we were in sync. :cry:
Original post by Zacken
I thought we were in sync. :cry:

:rofl: We totally should be
Original post by Student403
:rofl: We totally should be