Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    How does the cube root of 2root2 = root 2 could someone show me how

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mihael_Keehl)
    How does the cube root of 2root2 = root 2 could someone show me how
    \displaystyle \sqrt[3]{2\sqrt{2}}= \sqrt[3]{\sqrt{2^{2}\cdot 2}}=\sqrt[3]{\sqrt{2^{3}}}=\sqrt[3]{2^{\frac{3}{2}}}=\left ( 2^{\frac{3}{2}} \right )^{\frac{1}{3}} = 2^{\frac{3}{2}\times \frac{1}{3}} = 2^{\frac{1}{2}} = \sqrt{2}

(Original post by Azzer11)
    How do you integrate xe^x^2? It was in the c4 heinemann exercise book.
    By inspection you have f'x.e^fx so (1/2)(e^x^2) + c

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)
    \displaystyle \sqrt[3]{2\sqrt{2}}= \sqrt[3]{\sqrt{2^{2}\cdot 2}}=\sqrt[3]{\sqrt{2^{3}}}=\sqrt[3]{2^{\frac{3}{2}}}=\left ( 2^{\frac{3}{2}} \right )^{\frac{1}{3}} = 2^{\frac{3}{2}\times \frac{1}{3}} = 2^{\frac{1}{2}} = \sqrt{2}
    Thank you, can I just ask how you know that 2root2 is the same as root 2^3, Like I get it is the root of 8 but do you know this by preactice, or is this a fact we are supposed to know etc. thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, can I just ask how you know that 2root2 is the same as root 2^3, Like I get it is the root of 8 but do you know this by preactice, or is this a fact we are supposed to know etc. thanks
    It's just simple indices. You can write 2 as sqrt(4) and that makes things a lot easier.

ReputationRep:
    It's just simple indices. You can write 2 as sqrt(4) and that makes things a lot easier.
    I see lol, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    I would have thought you would use parts.
    Oh yeah that'd probably work, I didn't think to use that because it was in one of the earlier exercises before parts.
    Parts will lead you to a dead end. This is by the form \displaystyle \int {f}'\left ( x \right )f\left ( x \right ) \mathrm{d}x, as BBeyond said.

You know that \displaystyle \frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} x}\left ( e^{x^{2}} \right ) = 2xe^{x^{2}}, so how does that help you find your integral?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BBeyond)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by BBeyond)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Parts will lead you to a dead end. This is by the form \displaystyle \int {f}'\left ( x \right )f\left ( x \right ) \mathrm{d}x, as BBeyond said.

You know that \displaystyle \frac{\mathrm{d} }{\mathrm{d} x}\left ( e^{x^{2}} \right ) = 2xe^{x^{2}}, so how does that help you find your integral?
    Oh yeah I've got it, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Has everyone finished c4?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zaini101)
    No we still have some integration to do, so that means I can't do any past papers over Easter

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just use the fact that for all non-negative a, b we have \sqrt{ab} = \sqrt{a}\sqrt{b}, so \sqrt{8} = \sqrt{4 \times 2} = \sqrt{4}\sqrt{2} = 2\sqrt{2}.

i.e: if you're given a number in surd form, you want to break it down into two factors, one of which is a square number. So, for example: \sqrt{80} = \sqrt{4 \times 20} = \sqrt{4}\sqrt{20} = 2\sqrt{20} = 2\sqrt{5 \times 4} = 2\sqrt{4}\sqrt{5} = 2\times 2 \times \sqrt{5} = 4\sqrt{5}.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Just use the fact that for all non-negative a, b we have \sqrt{ab} = \sqrt{a}\sqrt{b}, so \sqrt{8} = \sqrt{4 \times 2} = \sqrt{4}\sqrt{2} = 2\sqrt{2}.

i.e: if you're given a number in surd form, you want to break it down into two factors, one of which is a square number. So, for example: \sqrt{80} = \sqrt{4 \times 20} = \sqrt{4}\sqrt{20} = 2\sqrt{20} = 2\sqrt{5 \times 4} = 2\sqrt{4}\sqrt{5} = 2\times 2 \times \sqrt{5} = 4\sqrt{5}.
    thnx for this.

ReputationRep:
    We have but I missed so much of it that I'm practically gonna have to self-teach myself everything over Easter..

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah I've got it, thank you!
    Or by using the u = x^2 substitution

1/2 du = x dx

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone explain how to do part (b) of this question?
    I tried it but couldn't get the right answer, and can't seem to follow the mark scheme
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louiseelg0rt)
    I tried it but couldn't get the right answer, and can't seem to follow the mark scheme
    There's probably a general derivative, I dunno if it's in formula booklet or not, but you can find the derivative of such expressions by expressing it as e^log(something)
    edit: Actually probs more natural to take log base 2 of each side then turn into ln and derive but whatever, just use logs in some way and it'll probably work out..

Let u=x^2, and use the chain rule, using the earlier result.

ReputationRep:
    Use a substitution and part i.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    physicsmaths EricPiphany 13 1 20 8 42

Thanks for the help! I tried it and got it

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry if you haven't and others have, there's still plenty of time until the exam! Loads of cramming to do
    Best of luck!!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.