ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Celinajy)
    Hi, anyone help me with this?

For edexcel c4 textbook, chapter 4 mixed exercise 4F Q8
    *The curve C has parametirc equations
    X=4cos2t , y=3sint. -pie/2<t<pie/2
    A is the point (2,3/2), and lies on C.
    a) Find the value of t at the point A.

Here is my answer :t= 30, -30, 150,-150 (got it from solving x and y)

But the answer from the textbook and solution bank just "30"???

PLS HELP :))
    First note that -90 < t < 90 in degrees. So that means 150 and -150 can't be solutions. Also note that 3sin(-30) =/= 3/2. (remember sin(-x) = -sin(x))

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    First note that -90 < t < 90 in degrees. So that means 150 and -150 can't be solutions. Also note that 3sin(-30) =/= 3/2. (remember sin(-x) = -sin(x))
    so does that means that -30 needs to satisfy to both parametric equations, therefore it cannot be the solution because it makes -3/2??

ReputationRep:
    so does that means that -30 needs to satisfy to both parametric equations, therefore it cannot be the solution because it makes -3/2??
    Yeah, you need both x = 2 and y = 3/2 for it to be the point A.

ReputationRep:
    What papers do you reckon are the most challenging (the best) to do apart from the normal papers. IYGB, Solomon, Gold etc.. ? (Obviously doing all of them is the best possible revision, but just wanted to know in case I'm forced to prioritize papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Yeah, you need both x = 2 and y = 3/2 for it to be the point A.
    Thanks a lot🤗

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninjakam119)
    What papers do you reckon are the most challenging (the best) to do apart from the normal papers. IYGB, Solomon, Gold etc.. ? (Obviously doing all of them is the best possible revision, but just wanted to know in case I'm forced to prioritize papers.
    The harder IYGB papers are the most challenging

ReputationRep:
    Hi, anyone help me with this?

For edexcel c4 textbook, chapter 4 mixed exercise 4F Q8
    *The curve C has parametirc equations
    X=4cos2t , y=3sint. -pie/2<t<pie/2
    A is the point (2,3/2), and lies on C.
    a) Find the value of t at the point A.

Here is my answer :t= 30, -30, 150,-150 (got it from solving x and y)

But the answer from the textbook and solution bank just "30"???

PLS HELP :))
    Which of those give you the correct value for y?

And you're only interested in the range -pi/2 to pi/2.

And presumably the book gave the answer pi/6. You must give your answer in radians since the question was asked in radians.

ReputationRep:
    I finished my 8th past paper and scored 70/75 --> 93.3% = A*. :cry2: ---> :shot:
    I've generally been scoring 72-73/75 on average ish.

I'm really disappointed in myself as I lost 2 marks due to forgetting a " - " sign on separating the variables
    and had my head and eventually gave up. I lost another mark a stupid mistake on parametric equations,
    which I should have really got.

The last 2 marks I genuinely lost due to mistaking the limits on a integration part and writing something else
    instead.

I feel I should have got 73/75 - 98% ums = A* but I'm happy as its the first time in a couple past papers that I've learned from my mistakes. #progress #gains

ReputationRep:
    The Gold papers etc are simply the questions from the actual papers rearranged into a different order, so you won't meet any new questions on them if you've already done the actual papers.

ReputationRep:
    The gold papers pick the hardest questions that edexcel has given and put them together.
    International papers and Solomon papers are good once you've finished the normal papers.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I know this is a C4 thread but can anyone help me with a C3 Q?

Given that f(x) = x^3 -5x^2 + 2, show that the equation f(x) = 0 has a root near to x = 5

Why did the answer use f(5) and f(4.9)? I thought it was something to do with lower and upper bounds

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KINGYusuf)

Given that f(x) = x^3 -5x^2 + 2, show that the equation f(x) = 0 has a root near to x = 5

Why did the answer use f(5) and f(4.9)? I thought it was something to do with lower and upper bounds
    Where did you get this question from? It seems very ambigous. Anything from f(4.9) to f(5.1) or f(4.8) to f(5.2), etc... could be used. There isn't one correct answer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    I finished my 8th past paper and scored 70/75 --> 93.3% = A*. :cry2: ---> :shot:
    I've generally been scoring 72-73/75 on average ish.

I'm really disappointed in myself as I lost 2 marks due to forgetting a " - " sign on separating the variables
    and had my head and eventually gave up. I lost another mark a stupid mistake on parametric equations,
    which I should have really got.

The last 2 marks I genuinely lost due to mistaking the limits on a integration part and writing something else
    instead.

I feel I should have got 73/75 - 98% ums = A* but I'm happy as its the first time in a couple past papers that I've learned from my mistakes. #progress #gains
    What paper was it? I'll have a go at it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KINGYusuf)

Think upper and lower boundaries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ULTRALIGHT BEAM)
    What paper was it? I'll have a go at it
    C4 June 2015, last year's paper I think its a secure download on Edexcels website.

I'm now gonna drop down the number of C4 pp I do to x2/week leading up to exams which would still be 8x/month -> 2.5*8 = 20 more past papers + 8 completed atm = 28 past papers.

Slowy and steady better win me the A* race :lol:

ReputationRep:
    C4 June 2015, last year's paper I think its a secure download on Edexcels website.
    It's not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    It's not.
    June 2015 papers are now downloadable? When did it happen?

Finally, I can see the examiners reports = Key to success. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    June 2015 papers are now downloadable? When did it happen?

Finally, I can see the examiners reports = Key to success. :yes:
    April 1st.

I've never read one before. Wouldn't exactly call it a key to success...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)

I've never read one before. Wouldn't exactly call it a key to success...
    Major 🔑 = Zacken

Nah but they are helpful for science subjects

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aymanzayedmannan)

Nah but they are helpful for science subjects
    ...right, I'll keep that in mind when I can work up the motivation to start... :rofl:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.