Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know why the C3 June 2013 grade boundaries are so low? Is it because it was a replacement paper? I don't know why that made such a big difference as the replacement wasn't too difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azzer11)
    Does anyone know why the C3 June 2013 grade boundaries are so low? Is it because it was a replacement paper? I don't know why that made such a big difference as the replacement wasn't too difficult.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Because people found it very hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Because people found it very hard.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Idk I just thought that getting 64/75 and still getting full UMS was a bit crazy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Idk I just thought that getting 64/75 and still getting full UMS was a bit crazy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought so too, but when I did the paper I only got 59/75. There were some really sneaky parts, like the function question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiny hobbit)
    Their solution says 2b????
    (Original post by Zacken)
    The PDF clearly says \vec{BG} = 2b where are you seeing 3b from?

Edit: ninja-ed.

ugh I wrote this wrong.

My solution is 3b. The answer in book and pdf says 2b.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know where the core 4 aqa forum is ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mihael_Keehl)
    ugh I wrote this wrong.

My solution is 3b. The answer in book and pdf says 2b.
    Ratio is 3:1, so the length of the entire thing is 3 (OG) and the length of OB is 1. Hence the length of BG is 2.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know good maths video tutorials for free other than maths solutions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JessicaNJ)
    Hegarty Maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hegarty Maths?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Khan academy?

ReputationRep:
    Although slightly off-spec in some instances, patrickJMT has to be one of my favourites

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Ratio is 3:1, so the length of the entire thing is 3 (OG) and the length of OB is 1. Hence the length of BG is 2.
    Silly mistake

Thank you again, lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, the context of the paper changed, so it wasn't the standard one. Although was happy to get that tan x 1/3 40 question right first time :moon:

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCg...v-Uw/playlists this guy is great if you prefer seeing an actual person on the screen with a whiteboard. Videos aren't necessarily specifically for Edexcel but it's pretty much all the same content wise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mihael_Keehl)
    Silly mistake

Thank you again, lol.
    You're welcome, again. xD
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    UKmathsteacher/m4ths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingaaran)
    Although slightly off-spec in some instances, patrickJMT has to be one of my favourites

Posted from TSR Mobile
    He does some fun problems

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by NotNotBatman)
    I thought so too, but when I did the paper I only got 59/75. There were some really sneaky parts, like the function question.
    I take it you are looking at the home C3 paper, not the R paper, as R stands for "regional" not "replacement".

As you say, some people didn't like the function question, which requires you to read numbers off a graph, not plug them into a formula. Some complained that noone had ever told them that cos 50 and sin 40 were the same. And then the last question caused grief, as some candidates immediately assumed that they had to know something about mechanics "which isn't fair, because I don't do Mechanics" rather than carrying on reading and discovering that everything they needed to know was given in the question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tiny hobbit)
    I take it you are looking at the home C3 paper, not the R paper, as R stands for "regional" not "replacement".

As you say, some people didn't like the function question, which requires you to read numbers off a graph, not plug them into a formula. Some complained that noone had ever told them that cos 50 and sin 40 were the same. And then the last question caused grief, as some candidates immediately assumed that they had to know something about mechanics "which isn't fair, because I don't do Mechanics" rather than carrying on reading and discovering that everything they needed to know was given in the question.
    Yeah I guess it was a bit 'different' for a C3 paper so I can see why people found it tough. It was a replacement paper though as the original one was withdrawn.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I guess it was a bit 'different' for a C3 paper so I can see why people found it tough. It was a replacement paper though as the original one was withdrawn.
    Yes, this was the year that a courier couldn't find a packet of papers that they were supposed to deliver to a school in the Netherlands. Papers that that had already been written for future exams in M2 and M3, C3 and C4 and FP1 to 3 were hurriedly given final checks and printed.

ReputationRep:
    C3 June 2013 was a nice paper. They can make core maths interesting if they just want to - eg IAL C34 June 15.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.