Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XxKingSniprxX)
    :bawling: Y u do dis?
    It's only fair.

ReputationRep:
    Is the C3/4 June 2016 IAL before the C3 and C4 June 2016 regular paper?

If so, I'm looking forward to doing the IAL as a prep day before.
    I think it's on the same day as C3. If Arsey posts solutions to the paper, you should thus be able to use the C4 questions as extra questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingaaran)
    I think it's on the same day as C3. If Arsey posts solutions to the paper, you should thus be able to use the C4 questions as extra questions.
    Is the C3/4 June 2016 IAL before the C3 and C4 June 2016 regular paper?If so, I'm looking forward to doing the IAL as a prep day before.
    C34 and C3 are on 21st june.

C4 is on 24th June.

ReputationRep:
    Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingaaran)
    I know that is the pure reason why I asked.
    #sneaky :hide:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaadKaleem)
    C34 and C3 are on 21st june.

C4 is on 24th June.

ReputationRep:
    Lucky you! XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayman!)
    Lucky you! XD
    ... I presume your doing IAL then :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing C34 aswell

How many marks do you usually lose for a careless slip?

Like I integrate something and find to be, let's say 1/2(g(x)) but I be stupid and write 1/4(g(x)) on the next line (assuming I don't go over and check)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)

Like I integrate something and find to be, let's say 1/2(g(x)) but I be stupid and write 1/4(g(x)) on the next line (assuming I don't go over and check)
    It really does depend on the question but I think if the function is correct they give -A1 for form of af(x) then they give the A1 for the correct answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

depends on what stage you make the mistake. Most of the time the answer marks are correct answer only (written as a1 in mark scheme, if it's a1 ft that means that you can get the answer mark for following through with your working from earlier on in the question) and you'll normally lose maybe another 1 or 2 working marks depending on the specific question, how much it is out of, how the marks are divided etc etc. If you do a method not on the mark scheme and get it wrong you may well get 0 even if you could have got to the solution if you hadn't made a slip up (did this in mechanics last year lol)

ReputationRep:

I'll disagree with the above. I did precisely this in my C4 exam and lost 2 A1 marks for miscopying it (when I was turning the page).

ReputationRep:

Assuming that this is a final answer, you'd lose A1 or A1A1. If there are subsequent parts to the question using this knowledge, then you'll lose quite a few.

ReputationRep:
    Slightly dumb question but if I wanted to integrate tan x, is this the right way to type it on your calculator? Or should I use the rearranged formula (which I think is -ln cos x)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    I'll disagree with the above. I did precisely this in my C4 exam and lost 2 A1 marks for miscopying it (when I was turning the page).
    I lost an M1 A1 for going
    sqrt(4-4sin^2x)=2cosx in some integration.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackdiamond97)
    Slightly dumb question but if I wanted to integrate tan x, is this the right way to type it on your calculator? Or should I use the rearranged formula (which I think is -ln cos x)?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    If you integrate \tan x, you get \ln \frac{1}{\cos x} = -\ln \cos x = \ln \sec x, they're all the same thing?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blackdiamond97)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    All the same lad

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by samb1234)
    depends on what stage you make the mistake. Most of the time the answer marks are correct answer only (written as a1 in mark scheme, if it's a1 ft that means that you can get the answer mark for following through with your working from earlier on in the question) and you'll normally lose maybe another 1 or 2 working marks depending on the specific question, how much it is out of, how the marks are divided etc etc. If you do a method not on the mark scheme and get it wrong you may well get 0 even if you could have got to the solution if you hadn't made a slip up (did this in mechanics last year lol)
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    It really does depend on the question but I think if the function is correct they give -A1 for form of af(x) then they give the A1 for the correct answer.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks guys. I think the best thing to do is keep going over and over :yes:

ReputationRep:
    If you integrate \tan x, you get \ln \frac{1}{\cos x} = -\ln \cos x = \ln \sec x, they're all the same thing?
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    All the same lad

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks guys, was getting a different answer to the book's so it threw me off a bit, just realised that they wrote their answer in a different form to how I wrote my correct answer. I've asked plenty of stupid questions in this thread, I'm so sorry Zacken I think you've replied every time though haha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.