The Student Room Group

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Pablo Picasso

Not particularly. You haven't justified (and you aren't able to) why you take the principal branch of the arcsine function. Stick to the normal way of trig identities that hold for all arguments.
Original post by physicsmaths
How is the lead up to exmas?
What modules did you choose?

I'm doing very little work at the moment, so not excellent; they start in about a month I think but still no timetables lol. Intro to Geometry (typical Euclidean stuff), Probability B (feels like S2 delivered in a crap way), Discrete Maths and Applications II (just counting stuff and a bit of computer science), Logic 1 (mostly free marks from Philosophy). Think that's it
Original post by Zacken
X

Q) Is Stats 2 the shortest applied module in Maths?

I was looking at the topics section in examsolutions and they look very short.
Also, am I going to have to look up even more :shot: tables in S2 .... :sigh:

I'm going to start self-teaching S2 from 30th April -> 5th Math = 6 days and spend 3 days doing past papers x2/day & then just do x1 past paper/week leading up to the exams.

Seem like a good idea? Only need 70 ums (b) but the grade boundaries look so damn high. :hide:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by XxKingSniprxX

I'm going to start self-teaching S2 from 30th April -> 5th Math = 6 days and spend 3 days doing past papers x2/day & then just do x1 past paper/week leading up to the exams.

Seem like a good idea? Only need 70 ums (b) but the grade boundaries look so damn high. :hide:

Yeah, sounds fine. S2 is ridiculously easy and short.

You know you've been doing a lot of maths when '5th May' becomes '5th Math'...
Original post by EricPiphany
You know you've been doing a lot of maths when '5th May' becomes '5th Math'...

Haha just realised. :laugh:

Yeah :work: never seems to stop mounting. #teamnosleep ::frown:
(edited 7 years ago)

You can definitely do it :tongue:, I've heard from people that S2 is quite easy!
The relative easiness of S2 is compensated by its boundaries I feel

The boundaries are very high for a reason - it is pretty short and the questions are repeated more than episodes of top gear on dave. Imo, having sat it last year, it is a pretty easy module to get a decent amount of ums, but pretty hard to get high 90s simply because there is absolutely no margin for error and it is very easy to misread a table, the question etc etc
Original post by samb1234
The boundaries are very high for a reason - it is pretty short and the questions are repeated more than episodes of top gear on dave. Imo, having sat it last year, it is a pretty easy module to get a decent amount of ums, but pretty hard to get high 90s simply because there is absolutely no margin for error and it is very easy to misread a table, the question etc etc

How much did you manage to get? Last year's paper was ridiculous with boundaries.
Original post by Ayman!
How much did you manage to get? Last year's paper was ridiculous with boundaries.

Until about 10 minutes before the end I would have lost probably 20ums, got 98 in the end iirc (idk where the mark lost was, but probably on the lift question. Iirc i misread and worked out probability of greater than rather than less than to begin with, and then just sort of did 1-it to get to the one they actually wanted)

:rofl:

Thanks for the support, we're all gonna make it brah!
Until about 10 minutes before the end I would have lost probably 20ums, got 98 in the end iirc (idk where the mark lost was, but probably on the lift question. Iirc i misread and worked out probability of greater than rather than less than to begin with, and then just sort of did 1-it to get to the one they actually wanted)

Think it was either 100 or 96 (if you got 74) last year due to boundaries, they were a joke ahaha
Original post by BBeyond
Think it was either 100 or 96 (if you got 74) last year due to boundaries, they were a joke ahaha

Nah i just checked 74 was 98
Nah i just checked 74 was 98

Really? Loads of people in my year got 96?
Original post by BBeyond
Really? Loads of people in my year got 96?

They can't have done. 74 was 98, 73 was 95
Original post by BBeyond

You should have seen my IAL boundaries. 71 for an A*. :lol:
Original post by Zacken
You should have seen my IAL boundaries. 71 for an A*. :lol:

Yh s2 was also 71 for A* :tongue: IAL boundaries are a joke tho agreed
Hey @Zacken bro!

Just wondering (for Physics GCE Edexcel unit 4 & 5),

what mark would give 120 UMS?

I'm currently averaging near 65 :frown: which is an A*/A (108 A* 96 A)

I really want an A*, but need to get 120 on 1 paper atleast
Original post by KINGYusuf
Hey @Zacken bro!

Just wondering (for Physics GCE Edexcel unit 4 & 5),

what mark would give 120 UMS?

I'm currently averaging near 65 :frown: which is an A*/A (108 A* 96 A)

I really want an A*, but need to get 120 on 1 paper atleast

It varies, but usually something over 72 is either a 120 or pretty close to 120.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending