A nice question, looks more like a C3 question rather than C4. :tongue:

Spoiler

Coooool that makes sense thanks
Original post by Fudge2
Coooool that makes sense thanks

No problem, hope you understood it. :smile:
hi, can someone help me drawing this graph

y=ln(2-4x)

how would you know that the graph shifts two to the left?
Original post by imran_

y=ln(2-4x)

Because the 2 in the brackets is positive so it moves the graph two to the left.
Original post by imran_

y=ln(2-4x)

Here you go

Algebra and Functions-page-001.jpg
Original post by kiasne
Because the 2 in the brackets is positive so it moves the graph two to the left.

y=ln(x-2), would be shifting the graph to the right.
Can you explain how y=ln(2-x) shifts the graph to the right?
Original post by imran_
y=ln(x-2), would be shifting the graph to the right.
Can you explain how y=ln(2-x) shifts the graph to the right?

What do we get for xx when we let y=0y=0

And what do we get for yy when we let x=0x=0 ?

Then you know that its a ln(x)\mathrm{ln(-x)} graph so you know the general shape.

Draw a line between the two points you found with the general shape of the ln(x)\mathrm{ln(-x)} graph

Voilà

Also note ln(2x)=ln[(x2)]\mathrm{ln(2-x)=ln[-(x-2)]}
(edited 7 years ago)
image.jpg
Please could someone help me with this question?? I'm stuck doing the first differentiation part. Having the t as the power is throwing me a bit and I can't seem to get the answer on the mark scheme?? Thank you!! (It's from C4 Jan 2011)
Original post by abbey1
image.jpg
Please could someone help me with this question?? I'm stuck doing the first differentiation part. Having the t as the power is throwing me a bit and I can't seem to get the answer on the mark scheme?? Thank you!! (It's from C4 Jan 2011)

0.5t=etln0.50.5^t = e^{t \ln 0.5}, straight from the formula booklet. Can you differentiate this now?
Original post by abbey1
image.jpg

Can you remember a result for differentiating a^x with respect to x? (It is in your textbook :h:)

Admittedly it is better to understand it as @Zacken does :tongue:
Original post by Zacken
0.5t=etln0.50.5^t = e^{t \ln 0.5}, straight from the formula booklet. Can you differentiate this now?

Ohhhh yeah, didn't even think to use that😂 thank you!!
Original post by abbey1
Ohhhh yeah, didn't even think to use that😂 thank you!!

Hmm, fitting in with the theme of 'understanding' as per Sean, I figure I might as well explain why that particular result is true.

exe^{x} and lnx\ln x are inverse functions so that when you take the composition of them, they return just xx. So for example: lnex=xlne=x\ln e^x = x \ln e = x because they are inverses. It's kind of like why taking the cube root of the cube function gives you just the number, i.e: x33=x\sqrt[3]{x^3} = x because the cube root and the cube function are inverses.

So, we also have that elnx=xe^{\ln x} = x, and because of this: etln0.5=eln0.5t=0.5te^{t \ln 0.5} = e^{\ln 0.5^t} = 0.5^t.
For part b of the question attached, would the integral from -4 to 41 give the area bounded between the positive side of the curve and the x-axis or the negative side of the curve and the x- axis? Or could it give the total area bounded, but this would result in the integral being 0 due to a positive area and equal negative area cancelling out, right?
ImageUploadedByStudent Room1462208844.228888.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 7 years ago)
Are there IYGB papers for S1 and S2 ?
Original post by Glavien
Or could it give the total area bounded, but this would result in the integral being 0 due to a positive area and equal negative area cancelling out, right?

Precisely this. Which is why you should find the area of the "top shaded" region and then double it. Or the "bottom shaded" region and double it.
Original post by Zacken
Precisely this. Which is why you should find the area of the "top shaded" region and then double it. Or the "bottom shaded" region and double it.

But, the limits for the top shaded region are -4 to 41 which are the same as the limits for the bottom shaded region. So, how could you integrate w.r.t x without getting 0?
Original post by Danllo
Are there IYGB papers for S1 and S2 ?

Doubt... I know there's C1-C4 and not so sure about M1+
Original post by Glavien
But, the limits for the top shaded region are -4 to 41 which are the same as the limits for the bottom shaded region. So, how could you integrate w.r.t x without getting 0?

Ah, sorry. When you integrate y dx between -4 to 41, you are finding only one half of the area (the top shaded region). Hence you need to double it to get the full area.
75dh/dt=(4-5h)

why cant you change that to 1/75dt =1/(4-5h)dt and carry on from there?
Original post by Zacken
Ah, sorry. When you integrate y dx between -4 to 41, you are finding only one half of the area (the top shaded region). Hence you need to double it to get the full area.

Ohh thank you, but is there a reason why when you integrate you get the area of the top shaded area by default?

What if the bottom half wasn't symmetrical to the top half but still directly underneath it, with the same limits A and B. How could you find the area of the bottom half?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending