Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imran_)
    75dh/dt=(4-5h)

why cant you change that to 1/75dt =1/(4-5h)dt and carry on from there?
    You can/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glavien)
    Ohh thank you, but is there a reason why when you integrate you get the area of the top shaded area by default?
    It's a bit complicated but it kinda of has to do with the "loopiness" of the curve, if you get what I mean. When you integrate, you're only selecting one branch of the loop and finding the area of that.

What if the bottom half wasn't symmetrical to the top half but still directly underneath it, with the same limits A and B. How could you find the area of the bottom half?
    This only happens when the bottom half is symmetrical to the top half (because of the squares in the parametric equations, which also causes the loopiness thing) - so if there was a curve where the bottom wasn't symmetrical to the top, you wouldn't have the issue of "intgrating only gives the top half".

You might want to watch this for some added elucidating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    It's a bit complicated but it kinda of has to do with the "loopiness" of the curve, if you get what I mean. When you integrate, you're only selecting one branch of the loop and finding the area of that.

This only happens when the bottom half is symmetrical to the top half (because of the squares in the parametric equations, which also causes the loopiness thing) - so if there was a curve where the bottom wasn't symmetrical to the top, you wouldn't have the issue of "intgrating only gives the top half".

You might want to watch this for some added elucidating.
    Thanks so much!! Sorry to be a pain, but if I was to integrate this curve w.r.t x will I got the shaded region only?

Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1462211252.978327.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  96.2 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Glavien)
    Thanks so much!! Sorry to be a pain, but if I was to integrate this curve w.r.t x will I got the shaded region only?
    I don't think you'd be able to integrate that curve w.r.t x, let alone get areas from it. :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you'd be able to integrate that curve w.r.t x, let alone get areas from it. :lol:
    Ohh cool, thanks for the help!!

ReputationRep:
    You can/
    I did, but gave me the wrong answer. I tried multiple times

ReputationRep:
    I did, but gave me the wrong answer. I tried multiple times
    You'll need to post your working so we can see what went wrong.

ReputationRep:
    Will I be allowed to use the
    Casio FX-991ESPLUS Scientific Calculator
    for the edexcel maths exams?

ReputationRep:
    Will I be allowed to use the
    Casio FX-991ESPLUS Scientific Calculator
    for the edexcel maths exams?
    Yes, it is allowed as it cannot do Symbolic manupilation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaadKaleem)
    Yes, it is allowed as it cannot do Symbolic manupilation.
    DId you sort all that out xD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L'Evil Wolf)
    DId you sort all that out xD
    Nope, my school administration are retarded. I don't care really to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    sucks bro, oh well - no point in having a good calc if you don't know how to use it etc.

ReputationRep:
    This is a real problem and this is unacceptable. Zacken any idea on how he can prove to his school that the FX 991 ES is allowed? They seem too stupid to recognise symbolic manip

ReputationRep:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-FX-99...dp_ob_title_ce

It says on the page by the Casio DISTRIBUTOR that it is suitable for A-Level. Would your teachers accept this?

Here on the Casio UK website it says it's ideal for all advanced studies

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Student403)
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Casio-FX-99...dp_ob_title_ce

It says on the page by the Casio DISTRIBUTOR that it is suitable for A-Level. Would your teachers accept this?

Here on the Casio UK website it says it's ideal for all advanced studies
    The crucial prohibitions above are to do with calculators that can perform symbolic algebra manipulation and/or symbolic differentiation or integration; these calculators are still quite expensive and the ones I know about include:
    • Casio: Algebra FX2.0, Algebra FX2.0 PLUS, ClassPad 300 (all models)
    • Hewlett Packard: HP 40G, HP 40GS, HP 48G, HP 48G II, HP 49G, HP 49G PLUS, HP 50G, HP Prime
    • Texas Instruments: TI-89, TI-89 (Titanium), TI-92, TI-92 PLUS, Voyage 200, TI-nspire CAS.
    This isn’t an official list - it’s based on what I know of these calculators and my interpretation of the JCQ rules. There is no list of calculators which can be used, though it can probably be assumed that any calculator that is not on the list above is permissible. This includes graphical calculators, those which can perform numerical differentiation and integration, manipulate matrices, change bases, and so on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by samb1234)
    The crucial prohibitions above are to do with calculators that can perform symbolic algebra manipulation and/or symbolic differentiation or integration; these calculators are still quite expensive and the ones I know about include:
    • Casio: Algebra FX2.0, Algebra FX2.0 PLUS, ClassPad 300 (all models)
    • Hewlett Packard: HP 40G, HP 40GS, HP 48G, HP 48G II, HP 49G, HP 49G PLUS, HP 50G, HP Prime
    • Texas Instruments: TI-89, TI-89 (Titanium), TI-92, TI-92 PLUS, Voyage 200, TI-nspire CAS.
    This isn’t an official list - it’s based on what I know of these calculators and my interpretation of the JCQ rules. There is no list of calculators which can be used, though it can probably be assumed that any calculator that is not on the list above is permissible. This includes graphical calculators, those which can perform numerical differentiation and integration, manipulate matrices, change bases, and so on.
    If only his idiot teachers would listen Dammit this pisses me off

ReputationRep:
    If only his idiot teachers would listen Dammit this pisses me off
    It's from graham from edexcel's post about calculator's in 2015 btw, and yeah it is pretty stupid when there's literally nothing wrong with it

ReputationRep:
    This is a real problem and this is unacceptable. Zacken any idea on how he can prove to his school that the FX 991 ES is allowed? They seem too stupid to recognise symbolic manip
    Send Edexcel an email (go on their website and look for their student support email or whatevs, ask me if you can't find it) with your centre number and the issue and ask them to get in contact with your centre or to send you an email/digital letter confirming the use of your calculator. Make sure to specify the model/make/features of it and give as much information on your centre as possible.

ReputationRep:
    I swear that's such a huge disadvantage. People give C34 with GDCs and you can't use a scientific.

My suggestion would be to full UMS it and show them who's boss :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Send Edexcel an email (go on their website and look for their student support email or whatevs, ask me if you can't find it) with your centre number and the issue and ask them to get in contact with your centre or to send you an email/digital letter confirming the use of your calculator. Make sure to specify the model/make/features of it and give as much information on your centre as possible.
    Won't work unfortunately. If you search you can find a few people asking edexcel on twitter and facebook and they just regurgitate the pre written can't comment on specific models etc etc and just refer to that text i linked earlier with the regulations in

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.