Edexcel A2 C4 Mathematics June 2016 - Official Thread Watch

Announcements
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    Yep, that's a really good way to think of it! Well done.
    Is that what you do too? :curious:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    In slightly more rigorous terms, but yes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    He deals with limits. The real OG.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Are we required to convert vector line equations into Cartesian/parametric form?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NotNotBatman)
    Are we required to convert vector line equations into Cartesian/parametric form?
    Yep. There's nothing to it though.

Just write down your parametric equations for the components of your vectors (so that's immediate), solve for lambda and then equate all the lambda's to each other to get the cartesian form immediately.

ReputationRep:
    I just completed Jan 2014 C34 IAL paper and scored 118/125 raw marks ---> 95% = A*.
    (A* = 112, A = 100, B = 86)

Its my first past paper completed from the IAL maths past papers that are available and since I've finished
    the regular Edexcel past papers its time to :work: through these extra past paper resources.

I lost those 7 marks on: 1) -3 marks @ last bit on vectors didn't have no clue how to go forward even with my diagram drawn. 2) -2 marks on ranges of functions. 3) -2 marks on integration messed up basic simplifying :argh:

Its still overall a A* but not good enough in my books unless its 125/125 raw marks.

I :dontknow: how International students can go through C34 papers. They mentally make me feel tired
    out since they are 2.5 hour exam. I prefer sitting a separate C3 and C4 papers than sitting them combined like C34 any day. + if you perform worse on a certain day due to xyz factors you can always make up for it on the other C3/4 paper day but with IAL C34 your :shot:

ReputationRep:
    Yep. There's nothing to it though.

Just write down your parametric equations for the components of your vectors (so that's immediate), solve for lambda and then equate all the lambda's to each other to get the cartesian form immediately.
    Isn't that FP3?

ReputationRep:
    Yep, that's a really good way to think of it! Well done.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayman!)
    Isn't that FP3?
    Is it? I dunno - seems like C4 to me. Or maybe cartesian equations aren't covered in C4. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Do you do the opposite of BIDMAS when dealing with composite transformations inside the bracket e.g f(2x + 4), would you minus four and then divide by 2?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    could someone differentiate 6sin(4x-7) for me with all the stages of the chain rule - I literally had a brain fart and can't remember how to do it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazza ma razza)
    could someone differentiate 6sin(4x-7) for me with all the stages of the chain rule - I literally had a brain fart and can't remember how to do it!
    d/dx(6 sin (4x-7)) = 6 d/dx (sin (4x-7)) = 6 (d/dx(4x-7) * cos (4x-7) ) = 6 ( 4 ) ( cos (4x - 7))) = 24cos(4x-7)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    d/dx(6 sin (4x-7)) = 6 d/dx (sin (4x-7)) = 6 (d/dx(4x-7) * cos (4x-7) ) = 6 ( 4 ) ( cos (4x - 7))) = 24cos(4x-7)
    awesome (Y)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thad33)
    Do you do the opposite of BIDMAS when dealing with composite transformations inside the bracket e.g f(2x + 4), would you minus four and then divide by 2?
    could anyone confirm?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    could anyone confirm?
    yh so f(2x +4) would be the +4 transformation, shift graph 4 units left(? i forget now lol ) , followed by the enlargement sf 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazza ma razza)
    yh so f(2x +4) would be the +4 transformation, shift graph 4 units left(? i forget now lol ) , followed by the enlargement sf 2
    I thought so cheers. It's one of those things that isn't explicitly shown.

It would be the other way around if it was affecting the y axis right?

Also, say you have sin(2x+0.92(rad)) and you need to alter the range -pi<x<pi you would apply normal bidmas or the reverse as it's inside a bracket affecting the x?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I thought so cheers. It's one of those things that isn't explicitly shown.

It would be the other way around if it was affecting the y axis right?

Also, say you have sin(2x+0.92(rad)) and you need to alter the range -pi<x<pi you would apply normal bidmas or the reverse as it's inside a bracket affecting the x?
    well , f(3x) + 4 would be for example, enlarge first then shift up so yh that is right.

normal bidmas im pretty sure, tho i would say 2x +0.92 = A, get values in A and then convert to x afterwards

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone, any advice how to improve 80 ums on papers to 90 ums or more on papers?

I have the same issue for C3 too.

Any advice would be appreciated?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King_Kauko)
    Hello everyone, any advice how to improve 80 ums on papers to 90 ums or more on papers?

I have the same issue for C3 too.

Any advice would be appreciated?
    difference between A and A* is being clinical really. The best way to achieve this is to understand the content and application of knowledge rather than simply remembering facts, and also doing as many papers as you can and chancing your arm at some significantly harder questions if you have the time / curiousity.

ReputationRep:
    Good luck guys, i'm doing so much revision

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.