Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do we not have frat houses in the UK? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    god damn, frat life in the US looks dope as f***. Every weekend must be like one big house party. Why do we have such a poverty uni nightlife system in the UK (i.e. for most unis, only 1 or 2 decent clubs in vicinity of the uni, that, or you go to the crappy nightclub on campus)?!

edit: can y'all see the video below? if not, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieV1HpAfi1k

ReputationRep:
    Some of them look yummy :perv:

ReputationRep:
    Thank f we dont

ReputationRep:
    Because we don't have fraternities, is one reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    Because we don't have fraternities, is one reason.
    Wow, your powers of deduction are simply astounding.

ReputationRep:
    Because we aren't American and actually have a perfectly acceptable culture of our own.

ReputationRep:
    In America there's the freedom to pick and choose who can be a member of these frat houses. Whereas here, if that was to take place there would be many issues due to how diverse the UK is..

ReputationRep:
    One thing I always notice, is how American guys are far more jacked than British guys.

(Original post by aarora)
    In America there's the freedom to pick and choose who can be a member of these frat houses. Whereas here, if that was to take place there would be many issues due to how diverse the UK is..
    :rofl:

The UK isn't diverse at all in comparison with America.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure the initiation ceremonies such as sucking other people's **** off your thumbs would go down well over here.

On top of that, if you think that American university nightlife is better than U.K university nightlife (on average) then you are severely deluded. It is well known that America hasn't known how to do clubbing since they birthed House music in the 1980s. Now all you've got this sort of ****:

ReputationRep:
    We do in a sense, just look at uni rugby teams.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aarora)
    Can you elaborate on your point.

Also, if you're implying the UK is more ethnically diverse than the US, that's not correct.

The US is way more diverse, and tbh in the UK London and Birmingham are the only places with any real diversity.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If that is American University 'life' (picture) then I am extremely glad I belong to a superior culture - and one that isnt based on division and exclusion, racism, misogyny, and many other nasty little distinctions.

PS. Anyone wanting to experience Frat Houses and all other naff aspects of American life, can apply for a degree that includes study abroad to the USA. Personally I can't think of anything more ghastly.

ReputationRep:
    We're adults

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    If that is American University 'life' (picture) then I am extremely glad I belong to a superior culture - and one that isnt based on division and exclusion, racism, misogyny, and many other nasty little distinctions.

PS. Anyone wanting to experience Frat Houses and all other naff aspects of American life, can apply for a degree that includes study abroad to the USA. Personally I can't think of anything more ghastly.
    Typical bitter British kid

In England being middle class means owning a *****y terrace house you bought on a mortgage, in America being middle class means buying your kids a Mustang for their 18th.

ReputationRep:
    Because they're dumbed down American versions of an ordinary student house.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    We're adults
    College students are adults.

Frat parties are epic,especially if the sorority sisters sneak into one :mmm:
    It's weird they don't have the same culture in British universities

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blanda Upp)

In England being middle class means owning a *****y terrace house you bought on a mortgage, in America being middle class means buying your kids a Mustang for their 18th.

It really doesn't. You need to stop watching American TV.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pmprin)
    It really doesn't. You need to stop watching American TV.
    You're just mad you have to watch the Queen's speech and drink tea while everyone is a king in the land of the free

ReputationRep:
    You're just mad you have to watch the Queen's speech and drink tea while everyone is a king in the land of the free

Moved to the US at 18 and decided to come back. All is not as it seems.

ReputationRep:

Perhaps, on the off chance they haven't been massacred before then.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.