Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Think I have a great way to make money, not sure if legal Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I'm 18 years old and want to make some money but don't want to get a job, i was thinking of doing a sort of raffle where i would approach people and ask for 1 pound to be assigned a number and then at the end of the day i will randomly pick a number, and give that person £50 or so and then i will keep whatever is left, maybe make a smallish charitable donation to encourage people to buy a number...
    I haven't thought through exactly how it would work but you get the idea... i was thinking of doing it in busy town centres etc. what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

(Original post by harry734)
    I'm 18 years old and want to make some money but don't want to get a job, i was thinking of doing a sort of raffle where i would approach people and ask for 1 pound to be assigned a number and then at the end of the day i will randomly pick a number, and give that person £50 or so and then i will keep whatever is left, maybe make a smallish charitable donation to encourage people to buy a number...
    I haven't thought through exactly how it would work but you get the idea... i was thinking of doing it in busy town centres etc. what do you think?
    anyone?
    How much money do you think you can realistically make from this? Part-time on the minimum wage likely pays more.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you'd get many takers. If you're just some random, unofficial guy, most people are probably just going to assume you'll take their pound and wander off and never pick a number or assign a winner at all.

(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    I don't think you'd get many takers. If you're just some random, unofficial guy, most people are probably just going to assume you'll take their pound and wander off and never pick a number or assign a winner at all.
    This is what you should do and keep all the money.

Spoiler:
    Show
    just get a job mate it's easier and less hassle

ReputationRep:
    anyone?
    http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk...a-licence.aspx

"Lotteries (also known as raffles, or draws) cannot be run for private or commercial gain"

That page also says that it is a criminal offence under the Gambling Act 2005 to 'promote an unlawful lottery'. I cannot myself see which section of the Gambling Act makes that so, but no doubt they're right.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Forum User)
    http://www.gamblingcommission.gov.uk...a-licence.aspx

"Lotteries (also known as raffles, or draws) cannot be run for private or commercial gain"

That page also says that it is a criminal offence under the Gambling Act 2005 to 'promote an unlawful lottery'. I cannot myself see which section of the Gambling Act makes that so, but no doubt they're right.
    doesn't count as a lottery if you give the prize the same day

ReputationRep:
    work 2 hours at apprentice wage of £2 point slave wage and you'll make more

ReputationRep:
    What is your authority for that proposition? "Lottery" is defined by s 14 Gambling Act 2005 as follows:

14Lottery

(1)For the purposes of this Act an arrangement is a lottery, irrespective of how it is described, if it satisfies one of the descriptions of lottery in subsections (2) and (3).

(2)An arrangement is a simple lottery if—

(a)persons are required to pay in order to participate in the arrangement,
    (b)in the course of the arrangement one or more prizes are allocated to one or more members of a class, and
    (c)the prizes are allocated by a process which relies wholly on chance.

(3)An arrangement is a complex lottery if—

(a)persons are required to pay in order to participate in the arrangement,
    (b)in the course of the arrangement one or more prizes are allocated to one or more members of a class,
    (c)the prizes are allocated by a series of processes, and
    (d)the first of those processes relies wholly on chance...
    There is nothing in there which makes the date the prizes are awarded relevant, unless it is in some other section of the Act that I have missed, which is certainly possible. It doesn't strike me as a very likely distinction for the draftsman to make - why should something which would not be a lottery if awarded at 11:59 p.m. become a lottery if awarded at 12:01 a.m.?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.