Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A Level Options - Can't Decide... Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I have to decide by this Friday (29th Jan) and I'm having trouble choose between the following options:
    A language (either French or German), maths and two sciences (one being Chemistry)
    or
    A language and all three sciences
    Which would be more valuable?
    I'm not sure what I want to study at uni, so obviously that's not helping anyone, but if anyone has had any good/bad experiences with these subjects, please let me know.
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andreamercer)
    I have to decide by this Friday (29th Jan) and I'm having trouble choose between the following options:
    A language (either French or German), maths and two sciences (one being Chemistry)
    or
    A language and all three sciences
    Which would be more valuable?
    I'm not sure what I want to study at uni, so obviously that's not helping anyone, but if anyone has had any good/bad experiences with these subjects, please let me know.
    Thanks!
    I would think that the first of those would be the better option. Take maths, unless you're strongly averse to that idea (if so you shouldn't perhaps be considering three sciences anyway). If you were to want to apply for physics it would be vital for many courses. It leaves you options for wide ranging courses like economics and engineering (assuming you take physics). Medicine* will have options provided you keep chemistry and (usually) at least one other science or maths. Even if those don't interest you, it's a well respected A level for any course - if you wanted to apply for linguistics, for example, a high maths grade would show logical thinking and the capacity to work through patterns (sure, you'd probably get in offering biology at the same grade, but it might not necessarily show the same multi-disciplinary applications, well considered though it doubtless is.

*If you are interested in medicine, research any institutions you might consider before you finalise your A level choices. Requirements can vary.

ReputationRep:
    Hey! I currently do maths, chemistry, biology and English literature, so similar ones to what you are looking at taking. I would recommend maths as it is such a broad subject and useful to practically every career. Also, I would recommend doing biology with chemistry as if you do AQA, you will do a section on biochemistry in biology, and I often find myself understanding the content more easily than others because I have covered the basics in chemistry. Either of your two choices are good though, and don't worry your college/ sixth form will probably allow you to change options after the first week of AS if you don't enjoy it, many people did at mine.
    Also, to universities maths counts as a science subject as well. good luck

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.