Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

will my white-ish scars fade? really depressed about it Watch

Announcements

(Original post by Sabertooth)
    No problem

3 months is still on the shorter side with scars but hopefully you'll see some improvement. I think 3-5 minutes sounds fine. It might be an idea for you to take a "before" picture (or maybe daily or weekly pictures) so you can best see how much the bio oil/scar serum are helping.
    Yeah i will thank you! I keep having urges to google and do more research and other people on old forums are like white scars are permanent blablabla nothing you can do.. mine aren't bright white or anything though. I also emailed bio oil asking them and they said 'scars' should benefit but newer ones more so. I just need hope lol

hey just wanted to update you all. iv been using a combination of bio oil and boots scar serum both 2-3 times a day and I have already seen a massive improvement! the scars are a lot less visible and the whiteness has toned down loads. You can only see the scars properly if you tilt them into specific lights when before they were visible at all times. Im really surprised at this as my complexion is olive/brown and the tone is only slightly paler now. Hopefully if I carry on they will keep getting better !

(Original post by Anonymous)
    hey just wanted to update you all. iv been using a combination of bio oil and boots scar serum both 2-3 times a day and I have already seen a massive improvement! the scars are a lot less visible and the whiteness has toned down loads. You can only see the scars properly if you tilt them into specific lights when before they were visible at all times. Im really surprised at this as my complexion is olive/brown and the tone is only slightly paler now. Hopefully if I carry on they will keep getting better !
    see told you! awesome

ReputationRep:
    Scars pretty much are permanent, esp self harm scars. They won't fade completely and things like bio oil don't work even if you dermaroll it into your skin - there's no proof behind it and it's a money maker. Scar tissue =/= skin tissue, there is a large difference. The point is you probably won't care years down the line, that's usually what happens to people. Two options are to get tattoo'd pigmentation or scar revision surgery in which case they make it smaller. These are by far the best options for flat scars. Neither will eliminate it completely though, you might be in for a little wait for stem cell treatment if you want to do that.

(Original post by ron_trns)
    Scars pretty much are permanent, esp self harm scars. They won't fade completely and things like bio oil don't work even if you dermaroll it into your skin - there's no proof behind it and it's a money maker. Scar tissue =/= skin tissue, there is a large difference. The point is you probably won't care years down the line, that's usually what happens to people. Two options are to get tattoo'd pigmentation or scar revision surgery in which case they make it smaller. These are by far the best options for flat scars. Neither will eliminate it completely though, you might be in for a little wait for stem cell treatment if you want to do that.
    Damn... shouldnt have done it on my arm then I'm so ****ing stupid

my self harm scars aren't huge or wide they r very fine and small, but there is a small patch on my skin where there r lots of them. I dont think its fair to say bio oil doesn't work entirely. Obviously there will always be a reminder of the scars but it has decreased the appearance of mine quite a bit, and lots of other people have seen improvements. Maybe in the future I will get tattoo pigment if this bio oil treatment doesn't help enough
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    They can fade completely.. It depends how deep you cut.

ReputationRep:
    I'm 3 years on and they are still clear as day. Especially bad in the summer when I ran, they become practically glowing -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Trigger warning:

about 6-8 months ago I self harmed on my upper thighs. not deep at all, just with a razor and they didn't bleed too much. However I now have a bunch of faint white scars on my legs
    It has only recently started to bother me. will these scars eventually fade over time? is there any hope once they are whit-ish? they aren't bright shell white.
    thinking about them is taking over my life. they aren't even that bad but because I have tanned skin they are more noticeable.

I have started putting palmers cocoa butter on it rubbing it in like 3 times a day. any other advice? I can include a picture if that would be helpful to see how bad they are.

I have read online and some people say they will eventually fade and some say they are permanent if they were deep/very bad (which mine weren't). Thing is growing up I'm sure i got my fair share of knee scrapes and I have no scarring from them so?
    I have about 6 scars on my stomach from major surgery, including one very large one that runs from my ribs to my bikini line. That's just over 2 years old now, and it's pretty faint. It's noticeable close-up, but not from a distance. Try using Bio-Oil, consistently (2x per day) for up to 3 months or longer. It really does work, but you have to stick at it.

(Original post by Failingstudent98)
    I'm 3 years on and they are still clear as day. Especially bad in the summer when I ran, they become practically glowing -_-

Posted from TSR Mobile
    what is your skin tone? and are your scars very wide?

ReputationRep:
    what is your skin tone? and are your scars very wide?
    I'm quite pale, freckles and blue eyed white girl :') but I tan quite dark despite my natural skin tone which is why they show up so much (also sun cream scars or you will regret it). Some were but even the thin ones have lasted 3 or 4 years so far

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by Failingstudent98)
    I'm quite pale, freckles and blue eyed white girl :' but I tan quite dark despite my natural skin tone which is why they show up so much (also sun cream scars or you will regret it). Some were but even the thin ones have lasted 3 or 4 years so far

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ah maybe yours scars were quite deep, sorry to hear that. Mine are still visible but a lot less so then before

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 25, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.