The Student Room Group

What A levels to study for law ?

I'm currently in year 11 so A level choices are just around the corner and I'm Stuck on what to pick, I want to study law . So far I've decided on history and economics but can't pick a third . Would university's be put off if I did PE as this is a softer subject, or should I take maths ?
Thanks.
Reply 1
do maths
hey i didn't see someone starting this topic :biggrin: I already started my AS and I'm planning to study law but I'm abit worried about my subject choices lol.
I've looked up that law doesn't require any specific subjects (on Oxford university's website) although i seriously recommend that you DO NOT take PE if you're planning on applying at particularly top or good universities.
Reply 3
Original post by jspain
I'm currently in year 11 so A level choices are just around the corner and I'm Stuck on what to pick, I want to study law . So far I've decided on history and economics but can't pick a third . Would university's be put off if I did PE as this is a softer subject, or should I take maths ?
Thanks.

Just like Middleagedpotato, says, most universities do not have any specific requirements of what to study in order to do law, but I would recommend either Government & Politics, English Lit/Lit & Lang, or Sociology for your 3rd subject or even Maths.
Hiya! Another Year 12 Law-hopeful here.
I currently study Latin, History, Economics, and Japanese. All of these subjects are 'traditional', in some way (sort of); which Russell Group Universities tend to like. With that in mind, I would definitely recommend taking Maths. Not only will Economics be a great complement to it (in that the maths in Economics is really easy and should be a nice break for you), but it means you have a science, a social science, and an essay subject as your choices - it shows you're a well-rounded student!
Original post by jspain
Thanks.

English literature!
So I've decided now I'm going to do:
Maths
History
Economics
But apparently I have to do a 4th , I'm not to keen on the idea as I think the work load would be to much and I don't want to do one for one year as that seems like a waste. Is it important for me to do four or can I just take three?

Thanks
Original post by jspain
So I've decided now I'm going to do:
Maths
History
Economics
But apparently I have to do a 4th , I'm not to keen on the idea as I think the work load would be to much and I don't want to do one for one year as that seems like a waste. Is it important for me to do four or can I just take three?

Thanks

Hey there! I also am only taking 3 subjects. Sometimes I also worry that it makes my application less competitive:biggrin:.
Same reason as you, I didn't like the workload but your subjects look really strong so I don't think you should worry. There is also the EXtended project qualifications you can take up that counts for as half an A level as long as you like researching.

Personally, I thought AAA with an UMS(they don't exist anymore) of 95-100% looks better than AAAA OR AAAB with an UMS of 85%!
Doing AS here and hoping to go into law. I'm doing Eng Lit, History, Government & Politics, and BTEC Applied Law. There are no 'required subjects' to do law. Essay-based ones may help you out though.
Original post by middleagedpotato
Hey there! I also am only taking 3 subjects. Sometimes I also worry that it makes my application less competitive:biggrin:.
Same reason as you, I didn't like the workload but your subjects look really strong so I don't think you should worry. There is also the EXtended project qualifications you can take up that counts for as half an A level as long as you like researching.

Personally, I thought AAA with an UMS(they don't exist anymore) of 95-100% looks better than AAAA OR AAAB with an UMS of 85%!

Thanks , I think I'll probably stick to three

Quick Reply