Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! My turn lol

I applied to Bristol, Glasgow, Edinburgh and RVC and got offers from all except Bristol (and now provided my exams go ok I'm going to Glasgow in September). I did Chemistry, Biology and Physics at A Level (Geography to AS), I did these because I wanted to apply to the Scottish universities and they require physics or maths as the 3rd subject. For RVC, Bristol and Liverpool I know you don't have to be doing physics or maths. As for Cambridge, I know someone who went there a few years ago and did chem, bio and geog to A Level but that was about 3 years ago so I'm not sure what they think (I didn't really have any interest in applying there so I don't know much about it).
    For work experience I did a load of time at a small animal practice, I did a couple of weeks with a large animal vet in Scotland, a week lambing (probs the best exp. of my life, I found it so rewarding), 2 weeks with pigs, a week dairy, stables for years lol, bit of time at a kennels, a week at a guinea pig rescue and a visit (I was there literally an hour lol) to an abattior and spent a day with a vet from DEFRA.
    Extra curricular activities, lol to be honest I didn't have many, I've never played an instrument in my life, I'm not "captain of the netball team" lol, I don't read sciency things or do anything like that out of school. At school I didn't really get involved in that much, I was a member of an Interact club and ran VetSoc and that was about it! lol I basically put I love swimming, horse riding, walking and painting!

So basically what I'm saying is like other people have said, don't be put off by how "fantastic" some people may seem. Make sure you've done something "special" (for me DEFRA and working with vets who live in vvvvvv remote Scotland) and done the basics - dairy, lambing, pigs, small animal vets etc. You don't have to be a "I got 10A*'s at gcse" type either. They are looking for PERSONALITY!!! that's what's got to come across both in your personal statement and your interviews. They want people with people skills.

One other thing, you said you've been to Yorkshire, going to Scotland etc that is fantastic!!! The man in charge of admissions at RVC loves anyone who has made an effort to travel to get their work experience, esp. if they live in a city/town where the nearest farm is miles away. It worked majorly in my favour at RVC. (You said you wanted some pig work - I live in Essex, not sure how far away that is from you but there is a place near me called "Writtle College" it's an agricultural college in my town which has an intensive pig farm and because it's a college it has accommodation for students too, so you can stay there if it's too far to travel to. I learnt so much from them. If you are interested I'll give you some contact details).

Anyways I hope this has been some help to you, don't worry about being perfect at everything or spending your whole life doing work exp. lol as long as you show them you are enthusiastic and have a real idea of what is involved in the job then you'll be fine Good Luck with it all

Oh and you definately don't need to do 4 subjects to A Level AT ALL!!!!! not even for Cambridge - why bother doing 4 subjects when you only need 3?! lol maybe I'm just a lazy arse

ReputationRep:
    Ok, ok let me have a go!...

Did Chem/Bio/Geog A levels, (last one today...hooray!) and applied to liverpool/RVC/Bristol, not the other 3 as slippery said for scottish needed maths/physics and didn't want to go to cambridge.. so I reduced by chances but ended up with offers from Bristol and RVC, I don't think Liverpool liked the fact that I was applying for deferred entry which is unusual for a vet. I'm hopefully going to Bristol if I get my AAA....

Work experience I left quite late, as I hadn't decided whether to be a doctor/physio/osteopath and didn't have the courage to go for the career that i dreamt... when I finally realised there was no substitute for being a vet I crammed in lots of farm experience like milking and sheep tagging, all at the same farm, they were so great, and there I met a farm vet who took me round farms doing fertility checks on cows! I Helped at an small animal vet clinic once a week, and did some other stuff like helping at a city farm, mentioned a riding course I went on, equine therapy centre, farriers, VETSIX etc.

Like others have said, they like to see a lot of extra curricular activity stuff like my singing/drama/sports etc who aren't all about acedemia, like george said, it doesn't need to be sport/music, can be extreme ironing etc.. something that makes you stand out, and them want to meet you! Oh ... and they like people with personalities! A variety of work experience is great but don't worry about having a list as long as your arm, i managed to do pretty much all of mine in one summer before applying just by phoning up loads of farms etc, ringing is much better than letters, (although more nerve wracking!!) its more about being the right sort of person who they can see has learnt from their work experience. Like in my Bristol interview they asked me about what i'd learnt about cow udders (mastitis!). If you've got the enthusiasm they'll see it come through your PS and interview!

The very best of luck to you, don't settle for less that the course you really want, or else you may regret it! Even if you don't get in 1st time, reapply!

(PS, mjf/hawk/slippery... i'm so sorry but are you guys m/f?!! I'm a lass by the way!!) Is anyone going to Bristol?

ReputationRep:
    Im male!

ReputationRep:
    teehee thanks ... i had an inkling but i didn't want to offend you... i seem to be good at doing that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hawk)

Did anyone apply to University College Dublin for Veterinary Medicine?
    I was going to apply for veterinary at ucd but ive now gone off the idea. if anyone is to apply though they should note that the points are predicted to rise in the next couple of years.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roxy potter)
    I was going to apply for veterinary at ucd but ive now gone off the idea. if anyone is to apply though they should note that the points are predicted to rise in the next couple of years.
    Higher than what? The offer is generally AAA anyway isnt it? And that is conditional on being accepted at an English Veterinary School isnt it?

ReputationRep:
    UCD is classed as international isn't it? How much is it a year to go there?

You didn't ask me but i'm female

Does anyone know of a fertility clinic for any of the large animals? I'm really interested in going to see the artifical insemination processes. I saw a job advertised as an assistant in an artificial insemination "company" (not the right word I know) and I've been kicking myself ever since for not writing down the details.

Lol the above sounds slightly odd but you must admit it is quite interesting!

xxx

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure about UCD requirng you to have acceptance at a UK Vet School. I have emailed them quite a few times, and they have never mentioned it but in the last email it mentioned about needing to have acceptance at a Vet School in your home country if you reside in the EU.

I'm hoping they don't include Northern Ireland in that, afterall we don't have a Vet School of our own and have to go to England, Scotland etc.

I've emailed them about it and will reply with what they say.

Last exam was yesterday, now for a summer full of work experience
    Starting a week with DEFRA on Monday.

Did anyone apply for the d101 course with the intercalated honours degree? Do many apply for it?

ReputationRep:
    Divine Comedy - I'm female - Lucy

Hawk - I have a friend who applied for the D101 at RVC and Liverpool and got an interview at Liverpool but didn't get accepted. They only have a tiny no. of places available for it, I think she said. On the day she went for her interview there were about 20 other people being interviewed for it but they only had 3/4 places available. I'm not entirely sure why people do apply for it because you can still decide to do an intercalated year once you've started the D100 course at all of the universities (I think, and of course at Cambridge you have to do it anyway - someone please correct me if I'm wrong!).

don't settle for less that the course you really want, or else you may regret it! Even if you don't get in 1st time, reapply!
    Good advice - I remember doubting my chances loads of times over the last few years, it was what I wanted to do since I was a little girl of about 4 when my mum bought me my first guinea pig lol but you always hear about how difficult it is to get in and how "you should really think about having a back up". I looked into so many other courses but none of them were for me - I just hope I don't mess up my grades now! So yeah, whatever you do, don't give up if it's what you really want to do: passion + persistance = possibility

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hawk)
    May I ask how many A-Levels you are doing?

Its just the teacher in my school who takes to do with oxbridge applications says that you need at least four a levels preferably 5 to have a chance of getting an offer from Cambridge. Thats why I don't think I'm going to apply there for Vet Med.

Did anyone apply to University College Dublin for Veterinary Medicine?
    Firsty, you can apply with a third non science, but i do think its puts you at a rathert large disadvantage. All the people i met on a day for people with offers were doing 4 a'levels, there may have been some not, but i didnt meet them! I did 5 AS's, history being my 5th, and chem,bio, maths and f maths for A level. I think i am going to do quite bad in f maths though, but i really wanted to make sure i got the grades for cam.

i think my exams wne ok, got 2 left. how about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hawk)
    Did anyone apply for the d101 course with the intercalated honours degree? Do many apply for it?
    I applied for the D101 course. It is pretty difficult to get into, and you should really have an interest in the scientific/research side of Veterinary Science. At Liverpool, only about 5 or 6 people a year get onto the D101 course out of about 50 or 60 who apply (and I'm one of those 5 or 6 this year ). I can't speak for the other universities, but I am pretty sure that it is a similar story with them, except cambridge as has been said.

(Original post by SlipperyWhenWet)
    I'm not entirely sure why people do apply for it because you can still decide to do an intercalated year once you've started the D100 course at all of the universities (I think, and of course at Cambridge you have to do it anyway - someone please correct me if I'm wrong!).
    That is true, you can still decide to intercalate once you've started. However, there may be a limit to how many people from the D100 course can do an intercalated year, but I could be completely wrong here. Also, if you really are interested in the scientific side of things, you have an excellent chance of getting in. The reason that I got into the D101 course at Liverpool was because I had so much to talk about at my interview, and to write about in the 'essay' before hand, about my interest in veterinary research into parasites. Anyway, as I said, though it is difficult to get into, you have about as much chance of getting in to the D101 course as you do the D100 course (in fact, one of the people interviewing me at Liverpool even asked if I applied for the D101 course because I had heard that it was an easier way to get into the Veterinary course!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzy_vet)
    ...i did 6 weeks of experience altogether. I have offers from cambridge (emmanuel) and rvc...
    Just wondering-what kind of work experience did you do? Also, did you do any extra curricula activities, sport, music, school duties, etc? Congrats on getting offers by the way!

Also, what kind of things did people get asked in their interview? Anything that tends to crop up a lot?

Thank you!
    Fi xx

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=SlipperyWhenWet]
    (You said you wanted some pig work - I live in Essex, not sure how far away that is from you but there is a place near me called "Writtle College" it's an agricultural college in my town which has an intensive pig farm and because it's a college it has accommodation for students too, so you can stay there if it's too far to travel to. I learnt so much from them. If you are interested I'll give you some contact details).
    QUOTE]

Heya,

That was v helpful, thanks! I would definatly like the contact details of writtle college, that would be fabby, and I'm glad to hear that my travelling works in my favour Congrats on getting offers (its heartening to hear-or see-the amount of people on here who have managed it!).

I thought that doing a 3rd non science A level meant that I couldn't apply for Cambridge, but it seems I may still be able to-can you apply without it??

Also, UCD-what and where is it? And what are the application requirements?

Thank you (again!!)
    Fi x

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=fi x]
    (Original post by SlipperyWhenWet)

Also, UCD-what and where is it? And what are the application requirements?

Thank you (again!!)
    Fi x
    UCD is University College Dublin, its the only Veterinary School in Ireland. You can't apply through UCAS for it, its through CAO but its a similar process.
    I'm not sure yet, but you might have to have an offer from a UK Vet School before they will give you an offer, i'm still waiting on an answer from them.

Entrance requirements are similar to UK vet schools if not more, there standard offer is 3 A's at a-level, the course lasts five years.

Only problem is, I don't think you get automatic registration with RCVS as you do with graduation from a UK Vet School.

ReputationRep:
    Got a reply from UCD about requiring an offer from an EU vet school before they will offer EU applicants a place,

'This only applies to EU applicants not Northern Ireland applicants.'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lisx)
    UCD is classed as international isn't it? How much is it a year to go there?

Does anyone know of a fertility clinic for any of the large animals? I'm really interested in going to see the artifical insemination processes.
    Lis,

I don't know if this is any good but I was looking for artificial insemination clinics and found this link;
    http://www.kompass.co.uk/searchframe...ix=PS&_Zone=GB

It's a list of some clinics in England, I don;t know if any are near to you.
    Hope it helps (I'm going to try and get work experience at one of them!)

Fi xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fi x)
    Just wondering-what kind of work experience did you do? Also, did you do any extra curricula activities, sport, music, school duties, etc? Congrats on getting offers by the way!

Also, what kind of things did people get asked in their interview? Anything that tends to crop up a lot?

Thank you!
    Fi xx
    i did two weeks at a wildlife hospital (if you can cope with the smell there, you can cope with the smell anywhere), one week at a central animal hosptial, one week at a practice and surgery, one week on a dairy farm and one week at a mixed farm and stables. interviewers loved asking me about the dairy farm, and about milk fever and calfings i had helped with. also, what my opinions were on animal testing, asked me about what i had said i was interested in on my ucas form, at cam they asked me about oncology and dog breeding since i said i was interested in oncology, and a lot of dog cancers are closely related to breeds and breeding. just be prepared to talk about and impress them about what you wrote on your forms! also do some general reading, off the internet and stuff, theres loads of info around, on tb, milk fever, BSE and foor and mouth disease.

ReputationRep:
    for extra curricular: i play flute and clarinet, and have played in various groups. i have played tennis, netball and football for my school, did dance for about 13 years, and i ski and snowboard. i was the assistant editor of the yearbook committee at school, and was nominated for head girl, and became one of 12 senior students (200 in year!). have represnted my tutor group on school and sixth form councils. i also have my scuba diving license!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fi x)

Thank you!
    Fi xx
    Interviews lol they seem like ages ago now!
    RVC - How my A Levels were going, which subject do I enjoy most, Why London, why vet, my opinions on animal testing, stuff on pigs (my views on intensive farming), what had I seen at the small animal vets, then loads on my work in Scotland, a little on my DEFRA work and the abattoir - what did I see being slaughtered and what did I learn from that experience and then how do you relax (hehe I said I love walking my dog though unfortunately I wouldn't be able to take her to uni with me! and then I said how I was a big bon jovi fan and they always put me in a good mood!) and then finally it was joking with one of the interviewers about how awful the weather in Scotland is sometimes! lol

Bristol - Much less friendly - started by asking me a couple of things about school and then it was stuff about cattle restriction movements, DEFRA, Foot and Mouth, Artificial insemination, Lambing - about tail docking, castrations, naval dipping - all of which the farmer I worked with didn't do as he's pretty much an organic farmer! and some stuff about antibodies. They didn't really put me at ease in this interview at all.

Glasgow - The friendliest, nicest bunch of people I have met in a long time! We laughed and joked the whole way through, they asked me about the abattoir and I said how I was a vegetarian and we ended up jokily arguing about veggie versus meat lol turned out the guy inspects abattoirs in his spare time! they asked how school was and whether I'd been to Glasgow before and whether I came to the open day, my opinions on animal testing, what signs do guinea pigs show when they are lacking in vitamin C (i worked at a guinea pig rescue and used to breed them), some stuff on horses - did I have my own and how often I ride and they finished with how do you relax too! I was so unbelieveably relaxed in that interview, I came out feeling great, that interview made me realise just how much I wanted to go there.

Edinburgh - Why vet, why Edinburgh, how's school, what do i do in my spare time, guinea pig breeding (gestation period etc), keeping rabbits and guinea pigs together (I have strong views against it), how antibiotics work and what did i know about guinea pigs and antibiotics (ie allergic to penicillin), suggest why guinea pigs are allergic to penicillin, some pig questions (AI, what I injected them with and why), what did I see at the large animal vets and what did I learn from the experience.

They all finished with 'any questions?' (except Bristol) which I used to say how much I really wanted to go to that university, and how fantastic the open day was etc that way I thought I'd finish on a good note lol

The questions I got asked were specifically to the work experience I had done pretty much. They won't ask everyone about antibiotics and guinea pigs lol so don't worry too much, just learn as much as you can from each piece of work exp. I got asked loads more questions but I can't remember them now, each interview lasted about 20 mins though Glasgow and Edinburgh were more like 30!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that, I will try and ask lots of questions at my work experience, and therefore learn a lot (hopefully!). Thanks very much for the address of writtle college-much appreciated as I'm having trouble finding pig experience! Its sounds really useful!
    Thank you again,
    Fi xx

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 29, 2004
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.