Help with Vet School Entrance Watch

This discussion is closed.
SlipperyWhenWet
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by fi x)
Thanks for that, I will try and ask lots of questions at my work experience, and therefore learn a lot (hopefully!). Thanks very much for the address of writtle college-much appreciated as I'm having trouble finding pig experience! Its sounds really useful!
Thank you again,
Fi xx
No problem I hope it helps
Lisx
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SlipperyWhenWet)
They won't ask everyone about antibiotics and guinea pigs lol so don't worry too much
I hope they ask me about guinea pigs!! I can definitely answer them questions, I breed and exhibit them :-) Cavies rock... ahem,

Going to Cam open day this afternoon!! am nervous xxx
SlipperyWhenWet
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Lisx)
I hope they ask me about guinea pigs!! I can definitely answer them questions, I breed and exhibit them :-) Cavies rock... ahem,

Going to Cam open day this afternoon!! am nervous xxx
LOL I used to breed guineas too - I told them that in my Edinburgh interview which kinda led to all those questions!
fi x
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
Does anyone know if there are any dates yet for 2005 vetsix/vetsim? And is anyone planning on going?
xxx
vickiw10
Report 14 years ago
Hi! My name is Vicki, I'm 19 from Essex. I'm about to embark on a degree in Forensic Science in south Wales, and will be applying to vet school as a Graduate (attempt to!!!).

I did a two-day course with the RVC last year- Introduction to Veterinary Medicine. It was good, and very informative.

Unfortunately I have poor GCSE grades, but for A-levels, I did BTEC First Diploma in Animal Care, and BTEC National Diploma in Animal Management, I got reasonable grades! As I am profoundly deaf, I was two years behind my peers when I was doing my GCSEs, and I've only just caught up in the last year, so that's my excuse!

I have a lot of experience mainly with horses and dogs, I am a breeder with small lurchers- will be whelping yet another litter due in September, and have done many experience in practices, I prefer to work outside, and have done summer camps (Going on CCUSA to America as a Riding Instructor next summer) working with animals, which I think give me more experience than just observing a vet in a practice. I've worked in a wildlife park and various other places. I've grown up going to country lurcher shows and was involved in hare coursing/showing etc with the lurchers/greyhounds when I lived in Suffolk as a child.

I will be 23 when I apply to vet school. I will apply to Bristol, RVC, Liverpol and Glasgow. For my other two spaces on the UCAS form, I will be putting down a MSc in Animal Science, as if I don't get into vet school, I will know because of my GCSE grades, and I will train as an Animal Care Lecturer instead (inspired by my former tutors at Capel Manor College, Enfield). I guess it sounds more interesting as the knowledge I've gained in my experiences of breeding, veterinary work, I can pass onto my students, but to become a vet has always been a burning ambition. It's just whether the vet schools are willing to overlook my GCSE examinations, and look at me as a mature student with a lot to offer. But we'll see!!!!

Good luck to all those waiting for offers this year, it's tough I know, a few friends of mine applied as Graduates to vet school, and are now at the RVC. They all did Forensic Science degrees. I think it's not really down to what grades you get, I think if you get good grades, great, but I think it is more down on how you come across in the interview. What makes you different from everyone else?

Well, I better stop yapping away, best wishes and good luck once again!

Vicki x
fi x
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by vickiw10)
Hi!

I think it's not really down to what grades you get, I think if you get good grades, great, but I think it is more down on how you come across in the interview. What makes you different from everyone else?

Vicki x
I think thats true, I just need something to make me stand out. thats kinda the problem... I don't seem to have anything.
Good luck hope it all works out for you! x x
[email protected]
Report 14 years ago
hi i am also hoping to apply to vet school next year possibly rvc could you please e-mail your personal statement so i can get an idea to write my personal statement thank you ever so much [email protected] =mjf]Hi, I managed to get offers from Bris, Edin, RVC and Liverpool and will be hopefully going to Liverpool in September. If you want I could send you my personal statement that outlines what I did...although basically you want as much farm experience as possible - e.g. dairy, beef, sheep, poultry. Then things such as stables, kennels/cattery and if you can do something different such as visiting an abbatoir or Vet Lab, even a hospital lab. Extracurricula-wise I had things to do with music, sport, science outside of school, school duties (prefect, school council, house captain). You will get asked predominantly about your experience, and questions related to your experience at interview, and the diversity of it will aid getting an interview in the first place. If you look on the www.vetschool.bris.ac.uk website they have an admissions statement. Have a look over that and you wil see how they go through your UCAS form and score it.
Both my RVC and Liverpool offers took into account Psychology as my third A Level (even though I did Maths), and Bristol said that although you have a third A Level that isnt a science subject, they wanted a science. I think it is preferred by them. So you should be definately ok with RVC and Liverpool (Liv even saying that AAB may not always mean an A in chem), but Bristol Im not sure on. You may be ok with Cambridge as well as Im not sure whether they require three sciences/maths, but I know that the scottish ones do. Just out of interest what is your third A level?
If you need anymore help, just PM me.[/QUOTE]
SarahC
Report 14 years ago
I've just looked at the specimen papers on the internet for the BMAT and hav realised its a little tricky, wondered what anyone else has done/is doing as preparation. I know there are courses - am i too late to do one, and are they useful and worth the money as the seem quite expensive Does anyone know how influential the BMAT result will be in terms of getting offers? I'm applying to bristol, RVC, liverpool and cambridge, all of which want BMAT except liverpool. have asked the uni's how important it is but they were really vague! any advice on what to do to prepare or whether not worry would be great!!!!!!!! :confused: :confused: :confused: :cool:
platinumki
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by SarahC)
I've just looked at the specimen papers on the internet for the BMAT and hav realised its a little tricky, wondered what anyone else has done/is doing as preparation. I know there are courses - am i too late to do one, and are they useful and worth the money as the seem quite expensive Does anyone know how influential the BMAT result will be in terms of getting offers? I'm applying to bristol, RVC, liverpool and cambridge, all of which want BMAT except liverpool. have asked the uni's how important it is but they were really vague! any advice on what to do to prepare or whether not worry would be great!!!!!!!! :confused: :confused: :confused: :cool:
There are courses? I thought the first ection seemed really subjective and I hate multiple choice. In the "underlying arguement" qustions, I felt you could have argued for several of the choices - even after seeing the answer. It's also quite worrying that some years they forget about Scots and put in questions we can't answer. Fingers crossed that it's not too important!
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1099)
79.18%
Leave (289)
20.82%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed